Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

erratic rev counter

Views : 1279

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2017, 01:50   #1
anchovy

Default erratic rev counter

my 95 850 auto has developed a small problem. twice the rev counter hasnt worked when driving but came good after 10 or 15 minutes.
today it stopped working but the needle sat on 0 just giving little jumps up to 1500 or 200 revs. after about 10 minutes it came good again and is currently working.
what should i look at in the first instance ?
thanks.
anchovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 19:12   #2
green van man
Premier Member

How are the alternator bushes?
I had this problem on a 460, turned out the alternator was on its way out. New alternator solved the problem.
Rev counter was driven from it on the 460 and believe the same system on the 850 but may be wrong on that one.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 05:48   #3
anchovy

thanks for the reply. cant see the obvious connection between alternator brushes and rev counter but, doubtless someone will confirm or deny your theorem.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 09:28   #4
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Anchovy

No direct help in response to your post but after 5 yrs with no odometer I am hoping to make the time to restore the genuine miles on my 850. The garage that serviced her for many years told me it was a cable fault and the unit could only be purchased complete at £700 ! Naturally I told him to poke it.

Anybody any ideas what he was talking about - my guess is it is the usual cog fault and he was talkin rubbish ?
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 10:19   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Anchovy

No direct help in response to your post but after 5 yrs with no odometer I am hoping to make the time to restore the genuine miles on my 850. The garage that serviced her for many years told me it was a cable fault and the unit could only be purchased complete at £700 ! Naturally I told him to poke it.

Anybody any ideas what he was talking about - my guess is it is the usual cog fault and he was talkin rubbish ?
OP's fault is rev counter, not odometer.....
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 10:51   #6
colwyn
Resident Ejit

I cant help but I I had a funny problem with my v70, the speedo needle would have a mind of its own going from 0 to 140 bouncing a few times then go back to normal then shortly after the abs unit went but I promply fixed it and it turned out to be cracked solder on the power pins in the connector block
colwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 12:47   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
I cant help but I I had a funny problem with my v70, the speedo needle would have a mind of its own going from 0 to 140 bouncing a few times then go back to normal then shortly after the abs unit went but I promply fixed it and it turned out to be cracked solder on the power pins in the connector block
That's because the speedo is driven from a signal from the ABS ECU. However, the rev counter gets its signal from the engine ECU, and ultimately from the crank position sensor (CPS) - I'd have thought that the fault would be some bad contacts in the wiring between the rev counter and the engine ECU, but exactly where to look is anyone's guess. If it were me I think I'd take the dash top off (easy on these) and have a fiddle with the cluster, trying to make sure all the plugs and contacts are good?
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 04:29   #8
anchovy

Default erratic revs

just noticed that every time i drive the car the rev counter works for about 60 seconds then dies. very strange. will attempt to check the electrical connections on back of instruments tomorrow.
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 11:49   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

There's a "how to" on how to take the dash off in the articles section in this forum here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79

8th one down the list.

Hope that helps?

Cheers
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 02:18   #10
anchovy

Default erratic rev counter

really only need to check connections on back of instruments.
tried to get at them from under dash but found it difficult.
is there an easier way to access them than take the whole top off ?

Tags
erratic rev counter