Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v90 pointers

Views : 616

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 13:09   #1
ernie bluenose

Default v90 pointers

Hi All.
New to this section as i currently drive a 1999 phase 1 V70 t5 133k on the clock very well looked after and in very good condition. ( photos on my profile

Thinking of changing to a 1997 3.0l v90 128k on the clock and although i have not viewed as yet looks in VG nick. I am not very good at posting links but the car can be seen at CP Motors ( Tamworth ) website. Cambelt changed only 3k ago.

I would believe the MPG of both cars will be similar but as i only do about 4k a year thats not a problem.

What are the expert views on what i should be looking for,what questions should i be asking and the relative merits of both cars.

I do not use the outright power of the T5 and at my age am looking for a more smoother ride.
The asking price seems high to me but i am aware traders do need to make a profit so a guide to the relative values of both cars would be useful.

CP Motors are a highly regarded Volvo indie.

Any pointers,comments and useful info would be greatly appreciated
ernie bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 13:35   #2
855 tdi
Master Member

cant say i know much about them i usually just nick the nice bits off them for my 740 which is far simpler in every way, this might be of interest though.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Buyi...BuyingaUsed960

Volvo 855 TDI 228,000M (sold) Volvo V70 2.5D 218,000m (sold)
Volvo 745 GLE 129,000M (Tankenstein) Volvo 940 SE HPT 115,000M
855 tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 855 tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 22:21   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

I've always liked the idea of a v90 but ended up buying 940s for the simpler, more robust but less refined four cylinder redblock engine. Spare parts tend to be cheaper and more widely available for the 940 too.

If fuel economy is an issue for you look into how that might compare with your v70.

Looking at the v90 on their website I'd say you could probably get one for half that price (or less) via a private sale. I've seen nice ones hang fire for ages in the sales section on here.

Besides the usual considerations when buying a used car, on this one I'd:

Check what they mean by "repairs" in their write-up.

Pay special attention to the condition of the steering and suspension. Tow-bar with twin electrics might indicate it's been used for pulling a heavy caravan.

Have a careful look at why the driver's side floor mat looks wet. It could be innocent, but if it's due to a leaking heater matrix that could be painful to repair.

Check for warning lights on the auto-box (amber arrow on dash flashing) and climate control (blue light surrounding a/c button flashing). These aren't necessarily major fixes (provided you know what you're taking on) but could help you to negotiate the price down if either or both are evident.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 08:30   #4
ernie bluenose

Thanks Forrest for the input,
Going to have a look today and like yourself am aware that its overpriced.
There is one on e/bay with a starting price of £900,only 84k on the clock with good history,pity its blue as my last 3 cars have all been blue and i just fancied a silver one.
Thanks for the pointer about the drivers side door mat ( missed that and i must remember to ask what its been towing as you say. Whether i will get a truthful answer is another matter. Regards Ernie.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 16:55   #5
ernie bluenose

Update, Been to view the V90 and came away very disappointed. Although the engine was smooth and quiet and the interior was nice and tidy the bodywork was poor for the asking price.
Both corners of front bumper gouged, rear bumper peeling badly and both wing mirrors marked. Alloys lacquer also flaking.
Engine bay grotty (thats not to say it doesnt work correctly ) I could virtually eat my dinner off my V70 engine bay.
Altogether a waste of time,and for the asking price not a patch on my T5.
Ah well just keep looking but not in any great hurry.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 17:01   #6
BL08
VOC Member

Default Have you seen this?

There's a silver 960 on Autotrader I hope this link works - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...58ya?logcode=p

It's not a V90 but ....
The Following User Says Thank You to BL08 For This Useful Post: