Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

Views : 45638

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2011, 12:28   #111
scotgc

Default Should this not be a problem in the UK then?

I would assume that this problem is not caused directly by the speed of the car but by some poor aerodynamic design flaw. It would manifest itself when the air passing over the offending object creates the turbulence, resulting in the unwanted sound. I would imagine that driving into a fierce headwind would have a similar effect but at a much lower speed?

The speed at which it occurs is largely irrelevant is so far as the noise should not be there in the first place so people have every right to complain to the dealers. Are we really suggesting that anything going wrong above the national speed limit of this country is not an issue which should be resolved under the warranty agreement?

My car does not suffer this problem so neither should any others.
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 14:34   #112
DesertDog

A few pics of my wind deflectors fitted:

His: MY2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe - Torch Red
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DesertDog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 16:41   #113
darbs
XC60 Owner

they look v nice DD. you're obviously a dab hand with a spray gun!

do the windows move up and down freely? also, do the defectors require any maintenance, e.g. periodic removal for cleaning etc or are they zero touch?
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 17:22   #114
DesertDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
they look v nice DD. you're obviously a dab hand with a spray gun!

do the windows move up and down freely? also, do the defectors require any maintenance, e.g. periodic removal for cleaning etc or are they zero touch?

I didn't need to spray them Darbs, the finish on the deflectors is an excellent dark tint and matches my pimp'd dark window tint perfectly.

On the rear windows, the Volvo safety feature means that the window glass "bounces", thinking something is trapped, but since the windows are locked to prevent little Miss DD from fooling around this isn't an issue.

The front window action is fine, up/down works perfectly.

Maintenance is simple - there's plenty of space to clean the window and the inside of the deflector with a microfibre cloth. The plastic is secured with a couple of strips of double sided tape, but TBH the widow seals are more than sufficient to hold them in place.

His: MY2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe - Torch Red
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 17:54   #115
moocha

Default Whistling wind noise from wing mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbosh View Post
Had mine fixed by Donald's Ipswich a couple of weeks ago, now no noise from wing mirror whatever speed.
It is a known issue but they seemed reluctant to do anything until I printed out this forum thread.
You are lucky you have Donalds as a local dealer. I've just bought a new XC60 and there is an annoying whistling noise from driver's side at anything over 50-55mph. Been into local dealer in Midlands and after having the car for a few hours, they said they had fixed the problem. Needless to say, they hadn't. They said they did not know what the problem was which is strange given the number of posts of same complaint and the fact that this is apparently a known problem to Volvo. I contacted Volvo direct today who also said they did not know of the problem! I am struggling to find a dealer who says that it is indeed a known problem apart from Donalds ...who are miles away. Very frustrating indeed as have a holiday ahead and long journey.
moocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 07:59   #116
timbosh
XC60 Saphire Black D3 16

Hi There - Donalds number is 01473 287788 ask your dealer to ring them and talk to David Sample the service manager. he'll be able to tell them what the fix was.

Cheers

Tim
timbosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 09:55   #117
moocha

Default timbosh

Thankyou for that information. I will ring them later this morning and see how willing they are...
moocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 13:19   #118
jmills01

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocha View Post
You are lucky you have Donalds as a local dealer. I've just bought a new XC60 and there is an annoying whistling noise from driver's side at anything over 50-55mph. Been into local dealer in Midlands and after having the car for a few hours, they said they had fixed the problem. Needless to say, they hadn't. They said they did not know what the problem was which is strange given the number of posts of same complaint and the fact that this is apparently a known problem to Volvo. I contacted Volvo direct today who also said they did not know of the problem! I am struggling to find a dealer who says that it is indeed a known problem apart from Donalds ...who are miles away. Very frustrating indeed as have a holiday ahead and long journey.
Have the same frustration - mine's now been into my dealer twice. Both times they said it was sorted, but both times it came back with the noise still there. Just driven 1,750 miles around France on holiday and it was hugely irritating. Noise cuts in generally now around 80mph but sometimes lower depending on cross/head-winds.
jmills01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 20:22   #119
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmills01 View Post
Have the same frustration - mine's now been into my dealer twice. Both times they said it was sorted, but both times it came back with the noise still there. Just driven 1,750 miles around France on holiday and it was hugely irritating. Noise cuts in generally now around 80mph but sometimes lower depending on cross/head-winds.
during the honeymoon period with my dealer, they fixed the wind noise issue for me free of charge. it was volvo north london in colindale. this is a link to the post i wrote at the time:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...6&postcount=30
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 13:24   #120
teghe

HI
I have called Davis and he couldn't give me a precise answer. he said to fill all the gaps of the wing mirrors.
does anyone knows more?
thanks
teghe is offline   Reply With Quote