Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Use of our street as a short cut.

Views : 6967

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2012, 09:47   #21
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
Am I missing something here? "no vehicles except for access" means exactly that, doesn't it? There is a local estate here that is used as a short cut and the council have erected similar signs, the police are often out pulling people over for driving straight through. No idea what the actual penalty is though.

Just had a look on google street view and the road signage here has a picture of a motorbike over a car, and "Except for access" underneath, so slightly different.
The signs are very much the same, just that the 1 with the car and motorbike on it doenst have the restriction on bicycles, where they may only be pushed and not ridden. I suppose that ties in that our street is designed to be a public footpath with pedestrians having the right of way and vehicular access only granted for residents. In essence both are designed to restrict motorised vehicles from using the road/path. Personally I think that sign along with
Quote:
"No vehicles
Except for residents"
would help as it would be more clear. I doubt it would stop many driving through though.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:00   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

There is a point , if there is just a ACCESS ONLY sign , rather than the mandatory red circle NO MOTOR VEHICLES with a ACCESS ONLY sign below , then the former is only advising , if the red circle sign is there then it is legally enforceable .
that's how i see it .
Rather like the speed limit signs on the old severn bridge , on a windy day they flash saying 40 mph and outside lane closed , this is blatantly ignored by many who still blast along at 70 or 80 mph in the outside lane in their German cars . But this isn't legally enforceable .
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:39   #23
tt82
Forum Support Team

The signs are shown in the 1st post Clan, and are the latter as you describe. The red circle with No vehicles.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:01   #24
T4Rick
Premier Member

Thats a very narrow road id be very worried about walking down there and being confronted by a car.

I said a 10 second car not a 10 minute car

Chipped and rolling roaded at 221.9 hp at std boost
Horns relocated for better air flow with a Horn from a Vag,Coil overs fitted
T4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T4Rick For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:03   #25
LankyTim
Missing the point

.... So there isn't a public right of way at all, for vehicles anyway....

As has been mentioned it really needs a bollard at one end to prevent people driving all the way though. We had an issue here as the council blocked off one end of our road as it was a rar-run. Instead people drove up the pavement and around the barriers, using a pedestrian entrance to get round. Crazy! The council eventually installed another barrier, much to our amusement as we watched the usual mini-cabs and total idiots peform 3 point turns and drive back the way they came.

The problem is once one person is seen flouting the rules others start to think it's OK so they start doing it too and eventually it becomes the norm.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:22   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
The signs are shown in the 1st post Clan, and are the latter as you describe. The red circle with No vehicles.
ah yes , its pretty clear then they are breaking the law and should be prosecuted . I'm sure i would be if i contravined a mandatory sign ... you need a lot of video evidence now ...
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:30   #27
LankyTim
Missing the point

Maybe you could borrow one of those "spike strips" from the police. That would show em!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 14:04   #28
andy_d
Premier Member

http://www.trail-camera.co.uk/Trail-Camera.htm

plonk one of those at a suitable point, midway down the lane, (so as not to snap anyone using an end to do a 3-4point turn, but Driving down it).

id not advise confronting people driving down it, your not law enforcment, or council staff who's duty is the enforcement, so the risk of a thumping or harrassment charges are possible.

If the council could/would change the signs to the "red circle with car/motorbike" no entry ,with the "except for access" cavat that is the best you can hope for.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 14:24   #29
Axionknight
Premier Member

Perhaps researching the area prior to moving in would have flagged this issue up and influenced your choice of purchase......

Struggling for sympathy, much like the tossers who moved into our village, opposite the pub and are now campaigning to have it shut down due to claimed excess noise....... Bother to check or research into the pubs activity prior to moving in? Did they chuff - half a brain and they'd be dangerous.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 14:40   #30
markt1
Trader

Well reading all this you need to get bollards at one end doesnt matter which end does it? or do you see it as you only you have the right to use this as a personel drive cause if thats the case your never going to stop joe public using it mate you need to stop the run through.
You shouldnt be confronting people using it its not worth the hassle and you cannot block the access as someone as mentioned that would be classed as obstuction and an offence.
If it were me i would want one end bollarding and you still would have access to your property and the fools would soon learn it was a dead end matter sorted.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markt1 For This Useful Post: