Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel or petrol xc90 - you decide!

Views : 2996

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 21:48   #1
lisa@rowly.f2s.com

Default Diesel or petrol xc90 - you decide!

Seen all the reviews and read all the comments on this great site but still confused on a xc90 purchase!
The diesel doesn't seem as convincing as the audi or merc engines but the petrol consumption in the 3.2 worries me - but the engine is smoother.
If I am spending top money should 24mpg concern someone who only does 10000 miles per year?
Owners/drivers of 3.2 reply with honesty and diesel drivers please tell me if there is enough umph in your oil burners!

Many thanks from a confused but intentional purchaser!

Last edited by lisa@rowly.f2s.com; Nov 26th, 2006 at 22:01.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 22:19   #2
patl

Hi Lisa, I have the diesel D5 185bhp and it has plenty of power. They seem to have solved the slow pull off that the older 163bhp models used to have. If you want more power look for the threads on tuning (I think it is about £500 to up the power to 228bhp). Not sure if you will get 24mpg off a 3.2 ..... I only get 25mpg off the diesel one (mostly around town though). If money were no object, the V8 would be nice, but the diesel will save you hundreds each year and will be easier to resell when it gets old.
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 00:06   #3
mark@mark-fuller.co.uk

You need to try them all really. But before you drive off, turn the trip computer to the average mpg setting to see what the cars have been doing recently. Then put it to actual and give them a blast. The D5 has been my choice after two months of trials!...It took that long to get out in a 3.2...no one had one. The V8 was fantastic but so was the fuel drinking. Good luck...my D5 sport will be picked up on Wednesday...can't wait!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:00   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I have heard, read that the earlier versions of the D5 engine (165bhp I think) were a little on the lack-lustre side. Lacked the power and pull that they deserved to have.

The new editions, however (185bhp as quoted above), are a different kettle of fish entirely..
More power and pull, smoother, and better to drive.

And you can run a diesel on recycled veggie oil for 27p a litre..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:51   #5
perussell

I now have 35,000 miles under my belt in a 163 bhp diesel. Yes, it is slow from a standing start and there is a definite lag when pulling away. I am told that these issues are to a great extent resolved by the newer 185bhp engine.
However, once under way I have no problem keeping up with traffic and when overtaking there is plenty of power in reserve.

Another consideration - do you really like giving Uncle Gordon even more of your hard earned lucre? 'Cos if you buy a petrol powered XC90 you are going to spend a lot more time in the filling station and Gordon is going to have even more tax income to waste on his next hare brained scheme!
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 20:05   #6
cosworthy2000

I've just changed from a '98 V70 2.5 10v petrol to the D5 163bhp XC90. Nicer to drive, power levels are similar, maybe a bit better than the V70.
cosworthy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 16:42   #7
JimBob

Agree that the diesel is pretty agricultural compared to almost any premium manufacturers alternative. Personally I'll be changing to a D5 reluctantly in May as the fuel bill for my T6 is silly and I believe the v8's are worse still.

I'll just have to put up with the rattles, on test drive last week was pleasantly surprised at the power delivery of the new D5 compared to the old 163hp model I drove previously.

As they are both basically Fords why can't they shoe-horn in the V6 diesel from the Discovery instead - its much better!

Wishful thinking aside, at least I won't be doing 19 mpg any more!

JimBob
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 22:09   #8
bluesnappa

My xc90 D5 sport is really good and I tried all the versions a few times before I finally went for the D5. So far I know I made the right choice. So get out and try them would be my advice and not just for a ten minute spin with the bloke from the garage...that way you can really see what each engine can do. The mpg on the D5 is impressive and it has not left me wishing I had the 3.2 or V8 on performance.
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote