Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800S rear luggage strap details

Views : 1182

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2016, 17:47   #1
MAMDaveM

Default 1800S rear luggage strap details

Hi All, I have the mountings for the rear luggage straps but not the straps themselves. They look very expensive to buy for what they are, and I recently made contact with a local leather-smith who is prepared to make some up if I can provide the necessary details;
  • Lengths of the two pieces that make up a single strap
  • width, thickness and colour of the leather
  • details of how the straps terminate to fit to the metal loops
  • what the metal buckle looks like

I'd be grateful if someone with the genuine article could provide the details and and possibly some photos.

If the quality and cost of the item that I get made up is good enough I'll post the details for others who might want to do the same. Indications are that the cost will be less than half of the ones currently available.

THANKS! Dave
MAMDaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAMDaveM For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2016, 20:11   #2
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi Dave,

You are going down the correct route, I did exactly the same as you almost 18 years ago for my 1800ES.

I didn't have any pattern or measurements to work from, only photos, so I had straps made by a local saddler in really good quality leather in black to match my car's upholstery. I had them made a little longer than the originals with more adjustment holes in them so I can strap down any configuration of luggage etc into the car.

He used brass buckles and fittings which go well with my gold coloured car, and from memory the total cost was around £30. The short ends with the buckle have a riveted loop to fit the anchor points by the tailgate, and the ends of the longer part with the buckle holes have a ring fitted so they can be doubled-back through the bracket on the wheel arches.

I'm not sure what anchorage points are on a 1800S but they must be similar to the ES? I know reproduction tan coloured originals are available now but they don't seem anywhere the quality of mine!

Hope this helps.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2016, 21:17   #3
MAMDaveM

Default Luggage straps

Thanks Paul, very helpful!
MAMDaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2016, 22:03   #4
ANDREWNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMDaveM View Post
Hi All, I have the mountings for the rear luggage straps but not the straps themselves. They look very expensive to buy for what they are, and I recently made contact with a local leather-smith who is prepared to make some up if I can provide the necessary details;
  • Lengths of the two pieces that make up a single strap
  • width, thickness and colour of the leather
  • details of how the straps terminate to fit to the metal loops
  • what the metal buckle looks like

I'd be grateful if someone with the genuine article could provide the details and and possibly some photos.

If the quality and cost of the item that I get made up is good enough I'll post the details for others who might want to do the same. Indications are that the cost will be less than half of the ones currently available.

THANKS! Dave
Here is a set that is for sale at the minute on Ebay (USA) Pictures give you an idea of colour and buckles

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Volvo-1800-P1...MAAOSw44BYO3J4
ANDREWNT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ANDREWNT For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 13:03   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Random stuff...

From a current thread on the Yahoo 1800 forum.

"The correct length is 28 1/2" long for the coupe (both straps) plus the amount folded over for the rivets for the coupe and the strap with the holes on the ES The other strap for the ES is 38". I do remake the straps identical to the originals but do not have a source for the hooks (coupe requires 2 ES requires 4) so you must have the hardware. Price is $110 plus postage (about $6 or $7) All custom made and I offer my satisfaction guarantee. Someone tells me that VP sells them with a kit to reuse your hardware for $150 but I haven't been able to confirm that. On occasion I get used buckles and hooks and sell the straps depending upon what I have to pay for the hardware. I currently have two sets of hooks so I can sell coupe sets for $155 plus postage. Both sets show some wear but look pretty good. If you have any interest in straps (I can get them to you before Christmas) let me know and I can send you a paypal invoice. Do Not use my Yahoo email

Tim Cox (USA)
616-240-4440
timcox102 "at" hotmail "dotcom"

Tim does the carbon fibre heat blanket kits for the 1800 and I think there is at least one person here on the forum who has fitted these. I thought he had a website but I can't find it.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 19:35   #6
c1800
Master Member

Here's his website.

http://www.heatblok.com
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:

Tags
leather luggage strap, p1880s