Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 102890

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2016, 16:35   #621
gaby
Premier Member

I asked about all-seasons to learn if Volvo is now delivering with such tyres. They did so in the past on XC models,
but I prefer summer and winter tyres. When I bought my XC70 (13 years ago!) I was able to negotiate summer
tyres instead of all-seasons at no extra cost, but perhaps that wouldn't be possible anymore.

Last edited by gaby; Dec 4th, 2016 at 17:00.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 22:29   #622
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I
QUOTE=neon;2203333]I can understand that, and it is a shame if it destroys Customer goodwill.[/QUOTE]

Volvo custcare reply to my complaint in expecting customers to pay to correct their noisy cars.

I am sorry to read that you remain dissatisfied and I would like to offer our apologies that you feel this way.* However please may I confirm that considerable goodwill has been offered in recognition of your concerns and taking into consideration the usage of your current tyres, with which there is no fault.

I say Volvo go to Lexus and learn what customer care is all about and how to get a good name.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Dec 5th, 2016 at 22:33.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 11:01   #623
Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I
QUOTE=neon;2203333]I can understand that, and it is a shame if it destroys Customer goodwill.
Volvo custcare reply to my complaint in expecting customers to pay to correct their noisy cars.

I am sorry to read that you remain dissatisfied and I would like to offer our apologies that you feel this way.* However please may I confirm that considerable goodwill has been offered in recognition of your concerns and taking into consideration the usage of your current tyres, with which there is no fault.

I say Volvo go to Lexus and learn what customer care is all about and how to get a good name.[/QUOTE]

Yep - have to say Volvo customer care is pretty abjectly misnamed on my current experience.

Anyway - have just gone for Goodyear Eagle LS2's all round to replace the continental's - will report back on if there I any discernible difference in noise.
Hants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hants For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 14:08   #624
neon
Premier Member

Cannot believe I am saying this. Just switched to Nokian winter tyres on 19" wheels and the car feels much better with them on than the 20" even with the Contisilents on. The car feels smoother and quieter and I am not feeling the bumps as much. Steering also feels better.
It just feels like a better car overall. Not had a chance to try it on motorways yet.
Temps 7C. Tyre pressures front 35psi rear 32psi.

Last edited by neon; Dec 6th, 2016 at 14:19.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 14:43   #625
Lexman8
Premier Member

My 18" winters (Continentals, ffs!) give a much better ride than the standard 19" Pirelli summers.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 14:53   #626
AB-UK
Premier Member

Switching to smaller wheels gives you more rubber between the "mechanicals" and the road.
The rubber helps absorb the bumps and insulates against road noise.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 17:07   #627
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Cannot believe I am saying this. Just switched to Nokian winter tyres on 19" wheels and the car feels much better with them on than the 20" even with the Contisilents on. The car feels smoother and quieter and I am not feeling the bumps as much. Steering also feels better.
It just feels like a better car overall. Not had a chance to try it on motorways yet.
Temps 7C. Tyre pressures front 35psi rear 32psi.
Do you think the contisilent tyres are not worth paying for. What profile are the Nokian tyres.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Dec 6th, 2016 at 17:15.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 22:48   #628
Driver Dave

I agree that Volvo should be paying for the tyres in full.

They have effectively admitted there is a problem caused by themselves by the fitting of the "B" pillar modification and the agreement to swap tyres that are noisy. We have only been using these tyres and putting up with the appalling levels of road noise because of their tardiness in responding to our complaints.

Yes we have had use of the tyres for the mileage we have used the car BUT we have also had all the aggravation and costs of numerous trips to our dealers in trying to get this matter resolved.

As a gesture of goodwill, if nothing else, they should be meeting the costs full.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 23:22   #629
neon
Premier Member

What I find disappointing is the comment about no fault with the original tyres. If so I cannot understand why new ones were fitted on my car as the resolution. There may be no fault with the original tyres but there is a fault with the format my car was delivered in. That combination on my car did not meet the "luxury" SUV standard that was sold to me. The change of tyres was not at my request but the solution from Volvo as it is not really for me to come up with the answers to the problem.

Last edited by neon; Dec 7th, 2016 at 01:19.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 01:36   #630
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Do you think the contisilent tyres are not worth paying for. What profile are the Nokian tyres.
235/55 19"

It is quite difficult to answer if the Contisilents are worth it. It is better but not as good as I first thought as when checking tyre pressures after they were fitted they were at 27psi which is way too low. I only noticed as when I slowly went up a curb it sounded like I had a flat and the alloys had scraped the curb. Also the tyre pressure warning came up. Handling was still ok. Increasing the pressures has increased the road noise. The other factor is I have only used them in the cold and they could well be better in warmer temperatures.

The change I have just made to winter tyres on 19" wheels seems better suited to my car and it seems to handle well. I will be doing some longer journeys this week to try them out more. Not sure what I will do after the winter if I really like them.

Last edited by neon; Dec 7th, 2016 at 01:45.