Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Awd useless. Waste of time. Why did i bother!

Views : 25209

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2016, 13:44   #31
essexbloke

So - I've been a bit busy working away and stuff so not using the Volvo as i had access to a company vehicle. When i started using it again we had even more woes..... So the long and the short of it is that the clutch suddenly started slipping dramatically. I booked it in and we're now lighter to the tune of yet another £1150 for a new clutch, dual mass flywheel etc. Whilst this was being done - the garage called to advised that my "2wd AWD" Volvo had a new clutch! They were confirming that it was only 2wd (fwd) and that during the clutch rebuild - they had noticed that the splines were completely stripped out. They're opinion was that it's really not worth replacing given the cost of parts etc. So it's official - This is quite literally the worst/most unreliable piece of cr*p i've ever owned! I bought into this brand thinking they were built like tanks and made to withstand whatever you threw at them when in truth It's expensive to buy, more expensive to repair, and tbh really not reliable... In the last 12 months this car has cost me over £2500 to rectify problems - and that's just to keep it running.... I wont be buying another... (and this was replacing a bl**dy Renault!) Rant over
essexbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 19:39   #32
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

New or 2nd hand? Who knows what the previous owner(s) may have done to it if so...

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 07:30   #33
V50D

I know this is probably not the best time of year to be commenting on this thread, but I can't recommend winter tyres highly enough.

I was a sceptic at first, but having owned many BMWs over the years I am quite used to the high powered rear wheel drive antics in the snow, but the fun soon wears off when you are trying to avoid having an accident on the way to work. So one year I opted for winter tyres and the difference was astonishing. I live on a no through road and there was a small layer of snow, may be an inch. With no one around me, I tired stabbing the breaks at about 20mph expecting it to slide, but it stopped almost instantly arrow straight, no lock up, no ABS.

You still need to drive cautiously but you have much less fear of getting stuck. Yes the extra expense of another set of rubber is a pain at first, but on he bright side it's years before you need to buy new tyres! Storage was my biggest issue as you want to protect them as much as you can when not using them. The rubber seems to go hard much quicker than an all season tyre.
V50D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 21:31   #34
NigelDay
Premier Member

Just to add a further comment. FWD with winter tyres works. AWD with winter tyres works better. But, where I live in the North Pennines, the limitation is often not the tyres or the driven wheels, it is ground clearance which determines whether you will make progress in snow. Last winter I had to turn back in snow and use another route home not through loss of traction but because it was too deep. The XC60 is not a snowplough. AWD might have got me a little further down the road than my FWD wearing Nokian Weatherproofs, but I would still have grounded myself in the process. I didn't even bother to fit my Thule Easy-Fit SUV chains for the same reason.
Bottom line. In winter, fit winter or all-season 'snowflake' tyres.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Aug 14th, 2016 at 21:34.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 19:41   #35
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
In winter, fit winter or all-season 'snowflake' tyres.
Where I live it is not quite mandatory, but considered negligent if you drive Summer tyres in Winter, or Winter tyres in Summer.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2016, 23:20   #36
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexbloke View Post
So - I've been a bit busy working away and stuff so not using the Volvo as i had access to a company vehicle. When i started using it again we had even more woes..... So the long and the short of it is that the clutch suddenly started slipping dramatically. I booked it in and we're now lighter to the tune of yet another £1150 for a new clutch, dual mass flywheel etc. Whilst this was being done - the garage called to advised that my "2wd AWD" Volvo had a new clutch! They were confirming that it was only 2wd (fwd) and that during the clutch rebuild - they had noticed that the splines were completely stripped out. They're opinion was that it's really not worth replacing given the cost of parts etc. So it's official - This is quite literally the worst/most unreliable piece of cr*p i've ever owned! I bought into this brand thinking they were built like tanks and made to withstand whatever you threw at them when in truth It's expensive to buy, more expensive to repair, and tbh really not reliable... In the last 12 months this car has cost me over £2500 to rectify problems - and that's just to keep it running.... I wont be buying another... (and this was replacing a bl**dy Renault!) Rant over
I'd be talking to the garage who did the repair. The splined collars which I assume you are referring to are unofficial "sacrificial" parts, inasmuch they tend to fail first in the transmission system - saving the much more expensive angle gear from damage. As you had to replace the clutch and the DMF I'd have said it was 100% certain the collars would also needed replacing. With the amount of dismantling already necessary it was a given to do that job too. My V70 AWD R had the same repair you refer to (under warranty) but I paid the cost of new collars and fitting - cost me £ 120.00 incl VAT. well cheap in my view.
My garage explained the hows and why fores. Also I knew about the issue which helped make the decision.
There was a huge thread in the states where AWD R owners considered getting purpose made harder wearing collars made, till someone pointed out the "sacrificial" nature of the part.
Cheers

Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 19:22   #37
Jay850t5

try a fwd v70 t5 in the snow, now thats FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Jay850t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 19:26   #38
Jay850t5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
I'd be talking to the garage who did the repair. The splined collars which I assume you are referring to are unofficial "sacrificial" parts, inasmuch they tend to fail first in the transmission system - saving the much more expensive angle gear from damage. As you had to replace the clutch and the DMF I'd have said it was 100% certain the collars would also needed replacing. With the amount of dismantling already necessary it was a given to do that job too. My V70 AWD R had the same repair you refer to (under warranty) but I paid the cost of new collars and fitting - cost me £ 120.00 incl VAT. well cheap in my view.
My garage explained the hows and why fores. Also I knew about the issue which helped make the decision.
There was a huge thread in the states where AWD R owners considered getting purpose made harder wearing collars made, till someone pointed out the "sacrificial" nature of the part.
Cheers

Bob.
Theres a place in sheffield which do lifetime upgraded splined sleeves and angle gear, I recently had mine done. They only last circa 70-90k. Thanks.
Jay850t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 19:49   #39
Robert2
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexbloke View Post
So - I've been a bit busy working away and stuff so not using the Volvo as i had access to a company vehicle. When i started using it again we had even more woes..... So the long and the short of it is that the clutch suddenly started slipping dramatically. I booked it in and we're now lighter to the tune of yet another £1150 for a new clutch, dual mass flywheel etc. Whilst this was being done - the garage called to advised that my "2wd AWD" Volvo had a new clutch! They were confirming that it was only 2wd (fwd) and that during the clutch rebuild - they had noticed that the splines were completely stripped out. They're opinion was that it's really not worth replacing given the cost of parts etc. So it's official - This is quite literally the worst/most unreliable piece of cr*p i've ever owned! I bought into this brand thinking they were built like tanks and made to withstand whatever you threw at them when in truth It's expensive to buy, more expensive to car repair, and tbh really not reliable... In the last 12 months this car has cost me over £2500 Sorry to rectify problems - and that's just to keep it running.... I wont be buying another... (and this was replacing a bl**dy Renault!) Rant over
I've owned all sorts of cars, and Volvo won't be the worst. My most expensive was a Merc, the dealer loved me, they knew the inside of my wallet better than I did! basing reliability on one car is like judging a team by one player. Sorry that it didn't work out for you.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 20:12   #40
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2 View Post
I've owned all sorts of cars, and Volvo won't be the worst. My most expensive was a Merc, the dealer loved me, they knew the inside of my wallet better than I did! basing reliability on one car is like judging a team by one player. Sorry that it didn't work out for you.

What a very sensible and reasoned comment. Nice.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote