Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does anyone have ever disassembled the LPG distributor?

Views : 11531

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2016, 13:48   #31
volvotwofortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
OK, will look. I have heard of something called the 'Italian tuneup' and it works.
I didn't know that this was "italian" method: in italian slang, we say "let's pull the neck to remove the lead" (sorry for translation... it may sound as a nonsense) but I supposed that this method was international

After a very short "googleing" I assume that it is quite different from my suggestion: the system I'm talking uses water, the "italian" tuneup seems to be "dry"

I've found an interesting video: even if that guy runs the risk to kill the throttle body, he added something in distilled water. I can't understand what, you can find the liquid's name at 02:48... What is it?

The result on piston 4 (at 06:40) seems to be very inviting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZDISp2pdSo

Last edited by volvotwofortyfive; Jul 9th, 2016 at 14:07.
volvotwofortyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 20:28   #32
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes, an 'Italian Tune-Up" has nothing to do with cat cleaning. Just something I thought I would mention. I had guessed that the last people in the world to know it as an 'Italian Tune-Up" would be any Italians! Seems I was right, you call it something completely different.
I'll follow your link.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 9th, 2016 at 21:02.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 09:17   #33
volvotwofortyfive

Incredible....
After cleaning the distributor, the LPG consumption rised from 8,5 km per liter to 7,4 km per liter....

I was aspected to reduce it after cleaning...What's going on???
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 08:09   #34
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

My theory:

You'll likely find your petrol consumption has gone down. These systems for reasons classicswede (the pro on here) may be able to detail better than me use some petrol even after switchover to gas. If you've cleaned out your dist, I wold guess you are no longer limiting the LPG, so it will take more LPG. Less petrol. I (tthink) many gas systms are designed to make up the performance shortfall, use some petrol under severe load or higher revs? This becasue the compression ratio is too low for gas to give best performance, but dictated by the requirement to burn petrol.
But I'm guessing here. I might be talking out of my rectal-passage. Er... classicswede?

If I'm right, and don't deny it (I've been to Rome), you'll need to stop driving like an lunatic Italian ...

I have put a fuel pump relay cutout on my car to reduce petrol use on gas. Pressure in the fuel rail still stays high enough to start the car, and 'blows-down' the pressure a bit before switching to gas.

I often cut the relay before starting and still the car starts. I [think] I'm saving petrol.....

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 17th, 2016 at 08:37.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 23:54   #35
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Petrol should not be neing used while running on gas however some modern system can blend but the Necam system is WAY too basic to do that.

The consumption could be down to the fact you are now spending much more time running on LPG than you had done before.

The other possible is that the injector cleaner used has clogged the Lambda sensor causing it to read week
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 10:08   #36
volvotwofortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
My theory:

You'll likely find your petrol consumption has gone down. These systems for reasons classicswede (the pro on here) may be able to detail better than me use some petrol even after switchover to gas. If you've cleaned out your dist, I wold guess you are no longer limiting the LPG, so it will take more LPG. Less petrol. I (tthink) many gas systms are designed to make up the performance shortfall, use some petrol under severe load or higher revs? This becasue the compression ratio is too low for gas to give best performance, but dictated by the requirement to burn petrol.
But I'm guessing here. I might be talking out of my rectal-passage. Er... classicswede?

If I'm right, and don't deny it (I've been to Rome), you'll need to stop driving like an lunatic Italian ...

I have put a fuel pump relay cutout on my car to reduce petrol use on gas. Pressure in the fuel rail still stays high enough to start the car, and 'blows-down' the pressure a bit before switching to gas.

I often cut the relay before starting and still the car starts. I [think] I'm saving petrol.....
You're perfectly right... But I drive lunatic exactly as before cleaning the distributor!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Petrol should not be neing used while running on gas however some modern system can blend but the Necam system is WAY too basic to do that.

The consumption could be down to the fact you are now spending much more time running on LPG than you had done before.

The other possible is that the injector cleaner used has clogged the Lambda sensor causing it to read week
I thought about it, but at the beginning of this year I made an .xls file to compute the consumption of both fuels (taking separate count of km made at LPG and petrol... Yes, I know... I'm slightly crazy...) and the results speak clear: now the car consumes more.
I agree the lambda sond theory proposed by Classicswede , that's why, as soon as possible, I want to make an exhaust system cleaning (water aerosol ingestion).
By the way: can someone translate the name of the fluid mentioned at minute 02 and second 48 of the video i linked some posts ago?
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 20:11   #37
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The fluid is something he has made himself. Dribbling in a little Cola can work
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 13:05   #38
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:

Interesting. I do use petrol when running on gas, but have been putting it down to a combination of leaking petrol injectors and petrol injection under load via the Necam system. Seems it can only be leaky injectors if the Necam system is not sophisticated enough for it to be otherwise. Thanks Classic.
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 13:46   #39
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NECAM-MEGA...-/252161890887

Any body used one of these kits for the factory systems? Or any suggestions otherwise?

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 20:05   #40
volvotwofortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NECAM-MEGA...-/252161890887

Any body used one of these kits for the factory systems? Or any suggestions otherwise?
Good question! I also wait for the answer...
The Following User Says Thank You to volvotwofortyfive For This Useful Post: