Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modifications

Views : 3090

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2016, 19:30   #11
monkeysnutscom

In terms of the mods I did to my 1.8. The only engine related ones were a pipercross panel filter, Bosch racing spark plugs. Better quality oil and fuel. And a middle box delete.
Aesthetically, I just gave it a good polish, and stuck some Arcadias on.
monkeysnutscom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeysnutscom For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 20:17   #12
NaughtyV40

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
There are five mods I have in process:
  • I want a second battery under the bonnet, for many reasons.
  • I want the foglights to work, but also just glow gently when not in use.
  • I want the running lights to stay on if the headlight switch is in the sidelight position when the ignition is switched off. Sometimes I like to stay lit up, especially in dark car-parks.
  • I have a crappy passive subwoofer in the boot. And I've recently aquired another. So I want to install both, and couple an amplifier into them. I've probably got an old amplifier lying around, perhaps in a pair of ancient PC speakers or something. We're not talking boot-shot-on-Max-Power-front-page stuff, just something to stop them sapping power from what has turned out to be a pretty awful brand new car stereo.
  • I have a towbar to install, and I think I can sort the wiring out despite the brake-failure-warning-light issue. Trying to figure out how to check the indicators on the trailer are working or not, and reporting this back to the driver via the towing warning light, still thinking that one out. I might have to resort to using one of those boxes, which I've got somewhere around.

I just love hacking the electrics!
I'm colour blind (sort of, I don't see in black and grey/white) so messing with electrics usually means I end up dead or worse, in pain! Always good to know about auto electrics though as cars can be a right pain when they want to, especially Swedish vehicles I'm told (Iveco)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I obviously fit the stereo type. Yes, keep my teeth in a glass, doesn't everyone? My names are infact Arther, Keith, Roy and a Volvo estate is the best dogging car of all time. That is the reason so many people want to disable their daytime headlights - so they can flash each other in quiet lay-by's
Wanna meet up somewhere with our partners? Reverse our cars back to back and there will be plenty of room for shenanigans?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysnutscom View Post
In terms of the mods I did to my 1.8. The only engine related ones were a pipercross panel filter, Bosch racing spark plugs. Better quality oil and fuel. And a middle box delete.
Aesthetically, I just gave it a good polish, and stuck some Arcadias on.
Arcadias?

Feel free to add pics of your cars

Last edited by NaughtyV40; Jul 27th, 2016 at 20:18. Reason: I an idiot
NaughtyV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NaughtyV40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 21:04   #13
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

Arcadias are the only 17s you can get for these car making them highly desirable.

I never mentioned T4s because you never really expressed an interest in them but since we are on the subject...

For very decent money you can get a very capable car in terms of kit and performance and you'll have something you'll never be able to get from a 1.6 engine or so. If you are after some performance, go down the route of searching for a nice T4. There are still some decent ones out there but you have to be patient sometimes to find the right one!

Good luck

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
Spetsnaz GSh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spetsnaz GSh For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 21:41   #14
NaughtyV40

To be honest I don't think I could afford a T4 right now, I am happy with how my car drives, just being a typical car nut I want to do something to it to make it my own, you know what I mean? Funds are a tad tight at the minute so it wont be any time soon but I'd deffo get a spoiler (are they easy to fit?) can the headlights be changed to later V40/S40 models?
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 23:49   #15
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyV40 View Post
To be honest I don't think I could afford a T4 right now, I am happy with how my car drives, just being a typical car nut I want to do something to it to make it my own, you know what I mean? Funds are a tad tight at the minute so it wont be any time soon but I'd deffo get a spoiler (are they easy to fit?) can the headlights be changed to later V40/S40 models?
My stamp (its a bit Marmite)

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 23:52   #16
Davey240

There's a tidy looking T4 on Autotrader at the moment. Last ownner 16 years, 77k on the clock, service and MOT history for £850. I'm almost tempted myself as it's only up the road from me 😊 I'm sure someone will have some fun with it. Dave
Davey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davey240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 11:07   #17
V40Vinnie

Further to what Antz said about the T4s when i was looking they were all either too far away, to expensive or been to the moon and back, I found mine in a dealership with questionable service history and a Months MOT. Touch wood Sven hasnt missed a beat and ive started a program of preventative maintenance and will be going down the route of OEM+ with it. There is a T4 buying guide on here somewhere.
V40Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V40Vinnie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 11:40   #18
V40DSchariot
Master Member

I've got 2 T4's at the moment.
A 2001 V40 at 118000 with a fair bit of history, that I paid more than I should've for it and really I should'nt have brought in the fist place and have spent and done loads of work to but it still has issues with pressurising the coolant system.
Also have a 2000 S40 T4 that I got off AFCNEAL recently from a forum member, 1 owner 132000 and I think every receipt for everything brought since new, which I could'nt resist for the money, which just has a few niggling little problems. Maybe more will be revealed tomorrow after the MOT though.
So you do have to have a good look round any T4, some look after them, some rag the arse off em.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V40DSchariot For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 12:36   #19
NaughtyV40

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
My stamp (its a bit Marmite)
I like the piping! Simple but looks good! Is that wood I see on the door cards too? I like wood, mine doesn't have wood Wood gives me wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey240 View Post
There's a tidy looking T4 on Autotrader at the moment. Last ownner 16 years, 77k on the clock, service and MOT history for £850. I'm almost tempted myself as it's only up the road from me 😊 I'm sure someone will have some fun with it. Dave
That's pretty cheap for a decent car, is that about the right price for it or does it need work? *Goes off to have a look*

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40DSchariot View Post
I've got 2 T4's at the moment.
A 2001 V40 at 118000 with a fair bit of history, that I paid more than I should've for it and really I should'nt have brought in the fist place and have spent and done loads of work to but it still has issues with pressurising the coolant system.
Also have a 2000 S40 T4 that I got off AFCNEAL recently from a forum member, 1 owner 132000 and I think every receipt for everything brought since new, which I could'nt resist for the money, which just has a few niggling little problems. Maybe more will be revealed tomorrow after the MOT though.
So you do have to have a good look round any T4, some look after them, some rag the arse off em.
You greedy git you don't need two! Why is this thread lacking pictures, feel free to add pictures of your cars people it might give me ideas that I'll steal and call my own lol
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 12:52   #20
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyV40 View Post

I think affording the car is not a problem, I think once you have the car and the increased costs relating to the "proper parts" associated with performance cars is a bigger issue.

Buying a T4 would cost less than a high spec diesel but then its definitely not worth "cheaping out" on parts otherwise you shouldn't have bothered buying the car.

For example, when servicing: spark plugs. Its well documented that T4s need genuine Volvo ones and these cost more than most. Oil is another thing, you need good quality oil from a major brand.

Suspension and brakes wise, you have a lot more power at your disposal so making sure you use good quality products (preferably genuine) for these is imperative.

This is where the cost of owning one compared to a non-T4 can open up massively.

Boot spoiler, easier to change the whole boot lid probably than just the spoiler.

Headlamp clusters are different between the phases. The wiring for the headlight cluster is different and the indicator lenses don't physically fit so you will have odd combos going on there.

There's plenty of stuff to do really but I would ensure the components which actually make a difference are in good condition such as drop links.

here is some examples of what people have done to their cars

-front and rear strut braces
-changing ARB bushes to poly bushes
-phase 2 rear light clusters
-better sound components from the genuine phillips premium set up (this includes an amp - check compatibility)
-17" Arcadia Alloys
-lowering springs with better dampers (this can get expensive though)
-clear side markers (cheap makes a bit difference)

If you are on Instagram, have a look at my car along with some of the stuff I have added - search @jpal2308

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
Spetsnaz GSh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spetsnaz GSh For This Useful Post: