Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Voc insurance wont do manchester????

Views : 4800

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2010, 16:18   #1
achapski

Default Voc insurance wont do manchester????

How crazy is that...just got off the phone to see if they would be any cheaper and they said they dont insure in Manchester as they made a loss last year in the M post code??????

Dont have my money then
achapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 17:07   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

They don't do under 25's either.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to migrator For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 18:09   #3
Palmer
Premier Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
They don't do under 25's either.
They said they would to me but only 3PF+T
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:32   #4
ChrisKnott
VOC Insurance

Hi,

As much as we'd like ot be able to sign up everyone who conatcts us for a quote, we are restricted by what the insurers will allow us to do.

They have historically experienced high incidence of claims in the M, L, OL & SK1-12 postcodes and therefore won't allow us to quote. Insurance is about assessing risk after all.

That's also why there are age restrictions for drivers.

If we can keep the account in profit we have much more flexibility for those members who do qualify - not that this is any consolation to you.

How to... SAVE THE MOST MONEY on your car insurance.
Call 0800 023 4374 (or 01424 205077 - cheaper for mobiles).
Check out our online magazine - Cover Story
ChrisKnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 14:26   #5
V70Driver
Premier Member

Without sounding rude, then the people in M and the other postcoded area's should perhaps move?
Sounds very much like the majority suffer for the ignorant minority. That is very unfortunate.
V70Driver
V70Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 16:25   #6
Oilydad
Premier Member

Angry

So Chris, are you saying that........................

In my case:

40 Plus years behind various wheels from HGV to car, motorcycle etc etc.

1.2 MILLION miles plus driven for one haulage firm alone over 17 years, with not so much as a broken mirror?

74% NO CLAIMS BONUS.

A Member of the IAM for LGV, Motorcycle and Car (3 separate tests).

So.............on the above.....IF I moved house to Manchester, you wouldn't insure me?

ABSOLUTELY CRACKERS!

AND..................sorry but I'm another one who you won't be attracting to your firm, because I think that using Postcodes to insure drivers is discriminating against those of us who ARE careful.

Hit the scroats, by all means.....but don't insult us by tarring us all with the same brush!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 16:57   #7
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
So Chris, are you saying that........................

In my case:

40 Plus years behind various wheels from HGV to car, motorcycle etc etc.

1.2 MILLION miles plus driven for one haulage firm alone over 17 years, with not so much as a broken mirror?

74% NO CLAIMS BONUS.

A Member of the IAM for LGV, Motorcycle and Car (3 separate tests).

So.............on the above.....IF I moved house to Manchester, you wouldn't insure me?

ABSOLUTELY CRACKERS!

AND..................sorry but I'm another one who you won't be attracting to your firm, because I think that using Postcodes to insure drivers is discriminating against those of us who ARE careful.

Hit the scroats, by all means.....but don't insult us by tarring us all with the same brush!
i agrree entirely,why shoud us carefull drivers, who are i believe in the majority.pay for the careless tossers where ever we live,it just aint fair.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lyron For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 17:05   #8
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

I would assume its not about the skill, or not, of your driving, I would assume its more about

1. chances of car getting nicked.
2. chances of being hit by an uninsured driver.

the risk of you causing an accident is only a very small part of the insurance risk, and is one of the few fairly fixed values regardless of where you live.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 17:30   #9
RF82
Trader

In fairness, Manchester is a high risk crime area, I would presume. If there is more chance of your car being stolen, vandalised or having some uninsured waste of space running into your car, then there is more risk to the insurance company. It`s only logical business sense to adjust quotes due to postcode areas.

Unfortunate if you live in these areas, but insurance companies are still businesses, so do need to make a profit.
RF82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RF82 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 17:45   #10
V70Driver
Premier Member

I can understand insurance company's must make a profit, but like I said in another thread, insurance companies are like Governments, quick to take money off you, damn too slow to hand it out.
Just forgotten the poor unfortunate member who had his pristine V70R thumped up the rear and his car pushed in to a building, hope he keeps us informed of the insurance company's manner on it.
Like education, insurance postcode lottery, its totally descriminatory. Obviously M and the other post code areas mentioned will be off my list of possible places to live. If the residents of these areas are knobbled by car insurance, what do they do for house and contents insurance? They must be highly paid people in Manchester !!!!!!
V70Driver
V70Driver is offline   Reply With Quote