Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights again

Views : 1730

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 12:57   #1
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Default Lights again

Afternoon all. I read the recent threads on lights with interest as - now a significant way through the restoration of my 122S, I have turned my attention to the electrics. I had a dodgy switch which I replaced and I have a feed to the front lights. I also have functioning indicators and brake lights. I do not have rear lights or instrument illumination. I noted from Ron's wiring description the two white wires which are fed from fuse three and thought they might be the culprit. Not sure about the appropriate tests- continuity I guess would be one- looking for breaks in the wire.The fuses are OK and the wiring has not been got at by bodgers at all . I would welcome any wisdom that might lead me to the right tests and investigations more quickly than my limited electical knowledge will.
Thanks guys
Julian
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 13:41   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Julian;

Of the two white wires departing the F3, one supplies the front Parking Lights, the other supplies the rears AND Instrument variable lighting by way of pin 4 of the six pin connector under the dashboard.

As a rule, wires do not develop breaks on their own and without external insult...connection problems typically occur at corrosion or looseness at terminations (fuse holder, connectors etc.) ...so look there first...try reseating the six pin connector under dashboard! Apply ACZP!

Reference: http://www.sw-em.com/122S%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg
ACZP: http://www.sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 21:22   #3
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Thanks Ron. My wife frequently tells me that I am awful at finding things and admittedly its a bit dingy in the garage on an Autumn evening but could you give me a hint on what this connector looks like and roughly where its situated? Haven't found it so far. Thanks ever so
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 22:13   #4
Amazonjulian
Master Member

You know what I'm not the first person here to talk about easy fixes this week. As I said before the wiring under my dash is beautifully unmolested. It turned out to be the fusebox. A case of slow and steady does the job. Despite the fact that I had cleaned the fuses and connections as my first port of call- more cleaning was necessary- just goes to show how bright it all needs to be.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 11:24   #5
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonjulian View Post
You know what I'm not the first person here to talk about easy fixes this week. As I said before the wiring under my dash is beautifully unmolested. It turned out to be the fusebox. A case of slow and steady does the job. Despite the fact that I had cleaned the fuses and connections as my first port of call- more cleaning was necessary- just goes to show how bright it all needs to be.
Yes, it's often surprising as to the issues that a grotty fusebox can cause. Replacing* mine immediately cured several electrical problems, the strangest being that operating the headlight flasher resulted in no headlight flash (despite the click of the relay), but also knocked out the entire circuit that also runs the brake lights, but without blowing the fuse..... Ron's excellent advice came to the rescue in solving that one

*in case you haven't seen it, there's a write-up on Ron's site about reconditioning the fuseboxes. I didn't have time to do that as my car is used daily.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Sep 15th, 2010 at 11:26.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote