Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Back Wheel Squeak

Views : 3139

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2010, 19:59   #1
NCS XC90

Default Back Wheel Squeak

I have developed a back wheel squeak. I put it down to the pads. Too the wheel off tonight to measure the disk and ensure I get the correct pads (not sure if there are only two size disks on the front or if there are two sizes at the rear as well). On turning the hub I got the feeling the noise was not coming from the pads (they do need changing though but probably not quite worn out). I backed off the drake piston to rule out the pads and the noise was still present. Putting the handbrake on (which is applied by your foot ) there was effectively no handbrake on that side. I don’t really use the handbrake, I leave it in park (I don’t like the cluck sound when you release the handbrake). However on this occasion I think it’s come to bight me in the bum. I used the handbrake a few weeks back when parked on a hill. I think it must have stuck engaged on this side and hence I’ve worn out the pads.
That’s my analysis, any other views before I take the disk off the find out (wheel bearing?). There didn’t seem to be any play in any of the ball joints or wheel bearing (I always check this whenever I have the wheel in the air). Not critical, I will find out what it is, and I have the use of another car so don’t have to get the parts until it’s all in bits and I can see what I need. Just interested to see if anyone comes to another conclusion
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 20:17   #2
400-ascona
Premier Member

If you drove with the handbrake seized you may be able to see signs of blueing on the drum portion. Not sure why it would continue to squeak, but worth trying that first. Taking the caliper off is easy (2 off 13mm bolts), hang the caliper up out of the way, remove the 10mm bolt holds the disc on. Once you have removed the handbrake shoes, put the disc back on and see if the squeak is still there. If it is you may have cooked the grease out of the bearing, or just finished of an almost gone bearing. Often on modern bearings you can't feel play in them when they are gone. Either way buy new clips when you put the handbrake shoes back in as they lose tension over time. If it is the bearing, soak the rear of the driveshaft splines in WD, as they rust in and can be a nightmare to get out. The longer it soaks, the better yor chances!

Last edited by 400-ascona; Sep 29th, 2010 at 20:27. Reason: Typo
400-ascona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 20:20   #3
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Not sure which MY you have or how many miles, but wheel bearings are a common issue on the earlier models
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 22:45   #4
NCS XC90

Hi it's MY04 (plate 53) so pretty early and 75k miles. I'm guessing that the handbrake stuck on based on the fact it now does not work on that side. However I must admit I have not felt any drag as if it was stuck on. Although if it just one side it might not be that obvious. I think it’s a suck it and see, take it to bits and see if it still squeaks without any of the brakes on in which case it’s got to be the bearing. Sounds like a pig of a job.
Plan to take it to bits tomorrow night and order the parts on Friday. At least I'll have time to paint it all nicely like "Bestgear"

Neil

Last edited by NCS XC90; Sep 29th, 2010 at 22:48. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 22:06   #5
NCS XC90

Well I got home late tonight and stripped the wheel back following this useful thread by David -
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=104691

I took the brake pads off and the squeak was still present. I took the disk of (took a little persuasion to separate from the hub) and a load of bit fell on the floor. I’ve taken some photos and hope this works (again thanks David)

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_1112.jpg

You can see on this next one that there is nothing left on the handbrake shoes

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_1115.jpg

You can see some of the bits (shoe lining) which fell out when I took the disk off (next to the disk)–

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_1113.jpg
A lot more fell out when I shook the shoes. –

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SAM_1116.jpg

Brake pads were a little worse than I thought – definitely at the end of their life –

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...8.jpg&newest=1

With all this removed there is no squeak. I took of the bolt to look into the hub just to check if there was grease in or if it had melted away. Grease present and all looked very good. I don’t think I have a wheel bearing problem.
So its pads, shoes and springs for the shoes (wouldn’t normally change them but seems logical given the problem I have had). Then I just need to understand if the hand brake mechanism is stuck or working.

Neil

Last edited by NCS XC90; Sep 30th, 2010 at 22:35.