Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

which engine?

Views : 4797

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2010, 21:53   #11
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
The engine is a B23 not B230.

The engine number is stamped in the block edge just below the head gasket at the front behind the dizzy.

Mike
thanks for the confirming the engine code. i found the engine no after a bit a scraping off some gunk. what sort of power and torque can i expect from this engine? i have been doing a bit of hunting around re the k jet and i am now happy with what i have (well sort of?) it looks easy eneough so sort out.

so next question is, and this is for future proofing this comvershion, a good friend of mine has a b230f engine for me, would it cause any problems if i were to use the fuel injection system that i have (k jet) on the b230f. via swaping the head and the injection system from one engine to the other?

thanks neil
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 00:31   #12
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Your B23 actually has a stronger bottom end, with forged crank and conrods. the B230F is still plenty strong enough though, and you could swap the k-jet head and injection system over (you'd need the distributor too).

The power will be between 110-130ish horsies depending on compression ratio and the cam fitted. the B230F was rated at 114hp from the factory.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 02:09   #13
Bertoni1980

Are you trying to put it into a VW Vanagon (T3)? I wonder how this can be done. How are you going to mate it to the transmission? Will it fit in the Vanagon's engine compartment?
Bertoni1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 15:34   #14
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertoni1980 View Post
Are you trying to put it into a VW Vanagon (T3)? I wonder how this can be done. How are you going to mate it to the transmission? Will it fit in the Vanagon's engine compartment?
trying too? is gonna go in my van, this was a common convershion in sweden when the wbx's (vw flat 4 water cooled engine) gave up, problems begin to show the head around 120 000m concider your self luck if you get 150 000m. i have seen a couple of converted van in the uk from sweden, with a b230a (carbed engine) but as i have a 2.1mv (difignant injection) i dont want to go back to a carb unless i have too. but on the flip side the van is a 4wd drive and dose get used off road and the electrical side of the fuel injection is always at the back of your mind with regards to it getting a good dunking, hence me liking the k jet system.
i have been in contact with a guy in sweden who will make the gear box adapter plate, he will also make a fly wheel which uses the vw wbx clutch a common mettle water pipe to connect to my vw plumbing, with an exaust system all be it rather short (loud) and all that i have to do is make some engine mounts. which is a matter if re working my vw ones. and this engine still lets all of my (4wd syncro) engine protection stay in place! i will look for some photos of an installed engine.

neil
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 16:04   #15
axeman

the van 1990 vw t3 syncro, you tube them and have a look!

an installed b230a i think

i any one has any information as to the wiring on the engine that i have it would be appreciated, also is there any thing that i should do while i have the engine on a stand in the my work shop?

thanks neil
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 18:41   #16
Bertoni1980

Volvo engines are harder to get in the states. There are some in the junk yards. But people have to pick them out of junked cars. They will charge less than $500 I believe but they won't help you getting it out of cars. The ones that are already taken out will be expensive. They will need some overhaul if you want them to last. The bottom block will be very strong. It is the cylinder head that will need some work and if possible new rings and new pistons too. I never heard of a transplant of a Volvo engine in a Vanagon. Valve lapping makes a huge difference. If you have the time you may want to separate the cylinder head and check out the valves. Give them a thorough lapping renew the head gasket and reassemble. The engine will work much better.

Last edited by Bertoni1980; Nov 7th, 2010 at 18:45.
Bertoni1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 21:39   #17
axeman

well this tonight i pulled off the sump, there was a film of silty oil right at the bottom, think and gloopy. but not more than i would expect from a 30 year engine that has been sitting i some ones shed for the past 2 years full of oil, i removed the plugs and the exaust manifold, bottom crank pulley and the cam cover, there is no play in the water pump, the engine turns over freely and smoothly, the valves open and close as i would expect them too.

this is a pic of the exposed crank opinions ant thoughts welcome? what should i be looking for next?
oh and i sprayed a little wd40 on to the crank to keep it free,

many thanks neil
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 22:04   #18
marcmarel

I've picked up B18/20's from sheds that stood for years on wet floors, nothing wrong with the crankshaft. This one looks perfect too.

Why the K jet? I think it won't like being bumped around off road, the air flow sensor is relatively heavy and sensitive piece. Up and down movement will disturb fuel distribution.
Carbs are much more robust in that aspect.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 19:23   #19
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmarel View Post
I've picked up B18/20's from sheds that stood for years on wet floors, nothing wrong with the crankshaft. This one looks perfect too.

Why the K jet? I think it won't like being bumped around off road, the air flow sensor is relatively heavy and sensitive piece. Up and down movement will disturb fuel distribution.
Carbs are much more robust in that aspect.
i sort of ended up with the k jet as i was on the engine, i also like the simplicity of it, very few wires and electrics (hot start cold start ect) how sensitive is the air flow sensor and or is the an alturnative to it?

next question is i would like to bench test the engine and the injection system, so i know that there is a shopping list of parts to beg borrow and steel, i will get to the list later. has any one on the forum done this? if so have they got an image of what they mounted the engine on to test it, i imagine some sort of mettle frame work to mount it on that i could knock up? as for the list.
fuel pump
accumlator
coil
ignition amp and wiring to it
starter motor
fly wheel,

is there any thing else that you people with bigger brains than me can for see that i need to start this little project of mine?

many thanks neil
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 19:49   #20
marcmarel

I don't know how sensitive the air plate is, just a thought, maybe others know more. K jet and offroad doesn't sound very familiar.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote