Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tensioner Failure

Views : 4210

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2010, 00:10   #1
Tonnch

Default Tensioner Failure

Hi all,

I'm new on here and looking for some advice, if you'd be so kind

I'm looking at buying my first Volvo, a 56 plate S80 with the 2.4D engine. I've read lots of bits and pieces on here about premature auxiliary tensioner failure ultimately causing timing belt failure. These posts seem to mostly relate to the V70 with the D5 variant of the engine, 57 to 58 plate. It also seems to be only the auxiliary tensioner that fails prematurely - the actual timing belt tensioner appears to last until its due service date; is that right?

As I understand it, the 2.4D is mechanically the same as a D5 only it has been detuned. I'm also thinking that the V70 engine is likely to be exactly the same as that in the S80. So are the auxiliary tensioner just as likely to go, or is it something to do with the power of the D5 that puts extra strain on the them somehow?

Can anyone please clarify if premature auxiliary tensioner failure is in some way specific to the D5, the V70 (or which other models) or certain years of manufacture of car? e.g. did Volvo change tensioner supplier for a period, and its cars with those that are likely to go? Does anyone know which years?

This is about the only thing making me think twice about buying the car. I'd appreciate any input you all have, especially if you can help me tie down which cars are more likely to suffer the failure.

Thanks
Tonnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 13:10   #2
howie 1
I've Been Banned

im sure if you contacted clan he would give you all the gen, however its a quick and easy job to fit a new tensioner if you bought the car
howie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 20:59   #3
Tonnch

Thanks for that Howie, good to know it's quick and easy to replace the auxiliary tensioner. I am unclear if the timing belt tensioner suffers similarly, or if that component will last (approx) the expected duration?

I've also read on here that instead of the long service interval for the timing belt, there are recommendations it should be done at 4 years / 60k. Is this just playing it extremenly safe, or do the timing belts/tensioners also have a tendancy to fail early?

Any more info appreciated
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 21:25   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Around about 2006 the Aux belt tensioner was indeed changed to a Ford type in the new S80 when the pulleys were re-arranged to fit the new chassis and then carried on into the other models with the D5 .
This tensioner bearing swivel can wear or rust and can tilt causing the aux belt to fall off and wrap around the crank pulley pulling the cam belt off . This was seemingly adressed with a recall and the quality supposedly improved , but there was a later recall on 2009 models also .
so i would say if you have a 2006 onwards new S80 or V70 , XC60 with the D5 model change the aux belt and tensioner every 54000 miles as per volvo service instructions ... your dealer will know if your particular car has had the recall or due one . The actual cambelt and tensioner are ok ...
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 21:50   #5
Tonnch

Cheers Clan, that answers almost everything

Only question left is whether a 2006 onwards 2.4D engine (non-D5) really is mechanically identical to the 2.4 D5 and if cars with those non-D5 engines should have had the same recalls?
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 22:24   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

yes 2.4D is the same mechanicaly as a D5 its just software differences .. get in contact with a dealer with the registration number and ask them if there is a recall and was it done..
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 22:31   #7
Tonnch

Thumbs up

Cheers Clan - that's everything I need to know. Feel well equipped to further enquire about the car now.

Thanks to all who've posted
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 20:19   #8
Gazdok
Master Member

Our auxilliary pulley "fell" off on the motorway last year. We were lucky that it did not cause any more damage other than leaving us stranded.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 22:36   #9
teefin

My D5 has a slight chirping sound 05 V70 163 is this likely to be the tensioner and as the car is under volvo warranty would they change for free or do I have to wait until it fails. How much to change it if I do have to pay ?
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 00:36   #10
JOHN 850

I've known this happen to a 53 plate xc90 D5 & a 53 S60, so it's not limited to newer models. Both engines were u/s, the chap with the XC got a s/h engine fitted & the S60 ended up being broken for spares !

The moral here I think is if in doubt, replace the tensioner & belt as they far less expensive than a s/h engine..........

Cheers,

John.
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.4d, s80, tensioner, timing belt