Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

key won't start my 460

Views : 2618

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2010, 19:56   #1
skipy

Unhappy key won't start my 460

Hi! Lately, my '91 460 Turbo had a nasty problem: when i turned the key, to positions III the starter motor wouldn't run, so I had to turn it off (position 0) and rotate the key to position III and repeat this until the starter began to run. However, this problem was relatively rare.
Yesterday, it didn´t start at all. after about 15 mins ( yeah, i had lots of patience) an using lots of force it finaly worked.
I think the problem is bad contacts on the key hole but i'm not sure. I tried to remove the key hole but i can't figure it out.

Can any one tell me how to remove it in order to fix/replace it?

i'm sorry if this has already been answered but i couldn't find it.

Thanks for the atention
skipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 20:25   #2
Alan C30

Default repair of switch

Are you sure it is not a dicky solenoid on the starter motor. there should be a solid clunk as it engages the starter before making contact to turn engine over?

I had loads of issues with a starter for a while (diff make tho)
But if sure it is switch:-
According to Manual you can remove the switch barrel or the connectors without removing steering from car. The lock can be pulled out if you take plastic cover off from saround switch gear (might come away witout removing steer wheel) depends on year of make and how 'brutal' you are. I have manage dto take one apart and put back on again without damage!

If you can get the covers off put the key to position TWO and then you can get access to a small hole on top-side of barrel, this lets the whole lock slide out. The wiring is accessed from same area but you have to unplug cabling and then undo grub screw in base of the lock assembly, might still be a 'sealed-for-life' unit.

Good luck

Alan C30, 480 & SS1
Alan C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 17:16   #3
skipy

At last! I fixed it.
The solution for now wasn´t very good. the problem was bad electrical connection. i had to use a pice of string to push this conctor slighty to the front. Now it starts ok.
however, i couldn't remove the lock itself. it had,indeed, a smal hole in the top of it but i couldn't notice anything appening to it when i turned the key to position II.
But thank you very much for your help anyway .
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 20:21   #4
B20F
Master Member

You have to put a paperclip in the small hole to unlock the switchbarrel and simultaniously pull at the key in position 2. The switch barrel should come out with the key in it.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 18:22   #5
skipy

today, I was trying again to remove it. I inserted "screw-driver" in the hole, then I turned the key from 0 to II and although I felt the screwdriver pushing something down (a little bit) the key hole won't budge when i pull it outside. I'm affraid I might break the key inside.
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 00:35   #6
skipy

found out the problem. the plastic around the no.III connection melted and was covering the terminal.
To try and see what as happening i hot-wired it to see what was the cause of the problem. what i found out is that although sometimes it works ok, other times the starter wont turn and the wires get very hot.
my question is: is it the starter relay that is being shorted? if so, where is it? or can it be something else?
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:49   #7
B20F
Master Member

The starterrelay is on the starter, if it's faulty you must replace the complete starter. But first check the wiring contacts on the starter itself and clean them. If they are corroded or make otherwise a bad contact they develop heat and that can also burn the ignition lock. Also check the earth strap from battery to starter for corrosion etc.
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 16:35   #8
skipy

thx,
I remembered something, the first times it hapened, when i turned the key (and starter wouldn't turn) I heard some strange noise like "Wwiiii". Like the sound of those cameras when the flash is charging.
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 18:19   #9
B20F
Master Member

I think the whining sound you where hearing is the bendix from the starter which was stuck. That is an indication that the starter is on it's way out. The bendix is the small gear on the axle from the starter which engages with the flywheel gear when you turn the key. If it's stuck on the starter axle you hear the starter run but the gear doesn't engage with the flywheel gear so the engine doesn't turn over.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:02   #10
skipy

yeah, thats what i was thinking, but when the starter switch went bad I had to improvise and use three switches. So in a supercar-like manner I had push the switches to on to start the car. And surprisingly enough the car started everytime without failing.
been using that for 3 months.
But I finally decided to buy a new ignition switch from VOLVO and replaced it, since no problem had happened with the startings.