Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

front suspension set up

Views : 1065

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 22:31   #1
tom-madbiker
Master Member

Default front suspension set up

i have lowered my estate 40mm at the front and 30mm at the rear what is a good start for setting up the suspension ie caster/camber ect and what is good for tracking thinking what shims roughly and the angles just want to get it roughly right before going to the tracking place
tom-madbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 23:23   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Keep the shims as is for now.
Set the caster camber as per green book
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 09:30   #3
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Agree completely with the above post. Lowered springs shouldn't affect the steering geometry

My Amazon drives nicely with the wheels set with a fraction of toe-in. Previously it was more than 1mm, now I have it set at just a bit less than parellel

Factory setting for the camber (this is the bit that might be slightly affect by different springs) is 0 degrees. However, I've read lots of recommendations to go for -0.5 degrees. From memory, 4 x 1/8" shims gave me -0.5 degrees, as mine was still at the factory setting of 0. It's a bit of trial and error, and finding a wheel alignment centre that will fiddle about with adding and removing shims is difficult! Wish there was somewhere you can hire stuff like Gunsons Trakrite and the camber measuring thing they make - too expensive to buy

Castor - my advice is to leave well alone because unless you've dropped the whole front frame or the body is bent, I don't see any reason why castor should ever change

For info for readers who are unfamiliar with what all this means:

Camber is the anglular displacement between the vertical axis of the wheel compared to the verticle axis of the car looking from the front or back

Castor is the angular displacement of of the vertical axis of the suspension compared to the vertical axis of the car looking from the side

Toe is the angular displacement between the vertical axis of the 2 wheels on an axle compared to the longitudinal axis of the car - IE Toe-in is when the wheels are anlged in at the front
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 11:04   #4
amazon69
Premier Member

Just as a little tip, if you want to measure camber easily, use an ipod or ipad with a free angle app. Works to within 1/10th degree. A lot easier than string, wood and numbers. And, as a rule, with camber a change of 0.75° requires 3mm change in shims. (according to Rob at amazon cars)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 11:21   #5
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon69 View Post
Just as a little tip, if you want to measure camber easily, use an ipod or ipad with a free angle app. Works to within 1/10th degree. A lot easier than string, wood and numbers.
Fantastic!! Actually, this makes buying a Gunson Trakrite toe-measuring thinger more attractive as it is the camber/castor part of it that makes it too expensive. Thanks - that is a superb tip!!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 11:22   #6
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
as a rule, with camber a change of 0.75° requires 3mm change in shims. (according to Rob at amazon cars)
Very useful - thanks!

Do you know if the camber shims are still available?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:54   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Just as a little tip, if you want to measure camber easily, use an ipod or ipad with a free angle app. Works to within 1/10th degree. A lot easier than string, wood and numbers. And, as a rule, with camber a change of 0.75° requires 3mm change in shims. (according to Rob at amazon cars)
Interesting. Not that I've got either, or likely to have either, any time in the forseeable future.

Looks like 0.25º = 1mm, so some 1mm sheet and some snips would make you a few shims with no problems. Pop a couple in the 4 positions and see how it feels.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 22:58   #8
tom-madbiker
Master Member

problem is im starting from scratch as i dropped the crossmember off and everything was shotblasted and repainted also had polybush on everything thanks to classicswede
tom-madbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 23:01   #9
BenR
Ben Reynolds

Don't forget you will mess up the toe every time you adjust the camber - needs re-setting after adding/deleting shims
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 16:16   #10
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Just found this:

http://www.glenngoodspeed.com/volvo/caster.htm

Just happened to stumble upon it whilst looking for some instructions for a Trakrite!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post: