Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seek a picture of pedal box and surrounding area RHD Amazon.

Views : 4429

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 00:22   #1
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Default Seek a picture of pedal box and surrounding area RHD Amazon.

Amazon Owners;

This will be used to check RHD suitability of the the SwEm Brake Light Switch Upgrade Kit, which was initially designed and intended for a LHD vehicle.

Pictures taken from both engine compartment and under dashboard would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:05   #2
222s
Amazoniste

I'll try to take some pics later today

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 11:11   #3
amazonauto
VOC Member

Default Amazon brake light switch

Hi Ron,
Found this old thread and have tried to attach some photos on the forum, which I understand you prefer to PM. Hope it works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon pedal box 002.jpg (184.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Amazon pedal box 003.jpg (126.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Amazon pedal box 006.jpg (367.0 KB, 99 views)
amazonauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 14:32   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

AA; Thanks... I got your e-mail also with same photos attached...its the forum PMs I dislike, because responding to them is not clear to me and I rarely look up to see "Your Notifications", so it might take a long time for me to answer, which might be interpreted as ignoring a contact, when I just didn't see it...I will certainly see e-mails, and I try to answer these ASAP.

High compliments on your engine compartment...enough to make any Amazon owner (British Racing) Green with jealousy!

What production year was the chassis, that pictures are from? Pre-'66 I expect, as box does not have the provision for mounting the OE Pedal Position Sensing Bracket. Post '67 had this bracket and switch as original equipment.

Forum; I request an owner of a RHD post-'67 Amazon (Manual OR Auto Gearbox, which will have an OE Pedal Position Sensing Switch) to take pictures of their pedal box (from the same angles) and fwd them to me per e-mail (or post them here).

Thanks again Gents...and Cheers from Connecticut!
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 21:39   #5
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Forum; I request an owner of a RHD post-'67 Amazon (Manual OR Auto Gearbox, which will have an OE Pedal Position Sensing Switch) to take pictures of their pedal box (from the same angles) and fwd them to me per e-mail (or post them here).
My '67 model year has all the mountings for that bracket, even though it was not factory fitted with it. See attached pics taken several years ago. For those not familiar with the mounts, it's the bolt head underneath (& captive nut on the outside of the pedal box), and the rubber buffer (blanking a hole where an alignment peg on the bracket locates).

If you also want pics with the bracket fitted, let me know, as this is an upgrade that I did a few years ago - the brake lights now operate the moment that I touch the pedal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030409.jpg (206.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg P1030402.jpg (267.8 KB, 103 views)

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 21:45   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cool

Ron, when someone sends a PM to your forum inbox you should get an email telling you so, with a link to click through to it.

To me there is a flaw in the system. If I click through from my Outlook inbox and open and read the mail it doesn't cancel the notification. Means that next time you come to the forum it shows a pop-up telling you have mail and it's the one previously read. Notification says 1 but I've already read it. Grrrrrr....
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 13:26   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

222; Spot On...on all points...the '67 timeframe was the changeover year when the holes were present in Pedal Box, having been punched in when the Pedal Boxes were made, but apparently Brackets were not yet available during final chassis assembly, so the holes were plugged, and the old style Pressure Sensing Brake Light Switches continued to be fitted until Brackets became available and the changeover was complete.

You were somewhat lucky in that respect...you could simply procure, retrofit Bracket, wire Switch, and PRESTO! Those with earlier chassis which did not have the holes, these need to be added first (this applies to RHD only, LHD can use my simpler-to-install kit brackets)... Now making holes is not a huge issue, but in this case, clearance for drilling is quite limited, so a "Close Quarters Drill" must be used, and the hole placement must be done with high accuracy.

Forum; Anyone who is paying attention knows that I'm the biggest advocate of this upgrade on all vintage Volvo models for the significant Reliability and Safety advantages...that's why I developed my kits...first for LHD, and more recently for my British colleagues with RHD vehicles (and because of the obvious chassis differences between LHD and RHD, update bracketry involved is different).

However, in the case of the RHD Amazon, the best, cleanest solution is retrofitting the OE Bracket (even if the OE holes are not present!).

That's the Long Explanation of it...Short of it (and my recommendation) for British RHD Amazon owners: Upgrade to a Pedal Position Sensing Brakelight Switch by retrofitting OE Bracket PN672973-5 (or my dimensional clone thereof), even if it means having to retroadd the OE holes on your pre'67 chassis!

Derek; I do get the e-mail notifications that I have a PM...no problem there...but when I look at the message, format for answering is not clear to me, and when I do, it stays hidden...on Forum postings (or e-mail), a thread develops where all postings are shown, is searchable, and in the case of Forum posting is also subject to peer review and additions. That's why I prefer it. Orders should be by way of private e-mail obviously. I juggle enough thoughts already...I don't need to add any more things to remember...

Cheers from Connecticut!
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 14:05   #8
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
222; Spot On...on all points...the '67 timeframe was the changeover year when the holes were present in Pedal Box, having been punched in when the Pedal Boxes were made, but apparently Brackets were not yet available during final chassis assembly, so the holes were plugged, and the old style Pressure Sensing Brake Light Switches continued to be fitted until Brackets became available and the changeover was complete.

You were somewhat lucky in that respect...you could simply procure, retrofit Bracket, wire Switch, and PRESTO!
I already have upgraded (see my post above) - did you also want pics of the pedal box area with the bracket fitted?

Quote:
However, in the case of the RHD Amazon, the best, cleanest solution is retrofitting the OE Bracket (even if the OE holes are not present!).

That's the Long Explanation of it...Short of it (and my recommendation) for British RHD Amazon owners: Upgrade to a Pedal Position Sensing Brakelight Switch by retrofitting OE Bracket PN672973-5 (or my dimensional clone thereof), even if it means having to retroadd the OE holes on your pre'67 chassis!
Would a dimensioned drawing / template for the hole locations be of interest?

Old Feb 19th, 2015, 22:23   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

222;

I have already requested a template from the gent I'm working with on this (he may be on this forum, but I'll let the individual out himself if he so desires), but since he doesn't have the OE holes (since his is an early chassis, and I don't have a late chassis handy either), he would have to locate one for the measurements...so your offer to make a dimensional drawing would be helpful indeed and gratefully accepted! (Although I'd prefer an actual dimensioned Template, which one could hold on the Pedal Box side, located by Pedal Pivot Bolthead and Box edges, because marking locations for holes from this is less susceptible to errors.)

I have written a bit of a procedure for making such a template, which I believe will capture the critical locations of Pedal Pivot, Pedal Box top, angled, and vertical (Master Cylinder mounting) surfaces, Bracket securing hole, and Anti-Rotation Pin hole. You may not need it, but I'll include it here as it already exists.

Making a template after OR Brakelight Switch bracket has been removed: Using a heavy paper like parchment (but not cardboard), cut a 2inch oversized, rough shape of the side of Pedal box trapezoid, add a (close-fit) round hole to allow clearance for the Pedal Pivot bolt head, and to allow holding the template flat on the Pedal Box wall. Accurately mark location of Pedal Box top flat surface, slant, and Master Cylinder mounting flat surface on the template. Without moving template, feel around the area of upper bracket hole, and lightly push a fingertip into paper to mark/emboss its location. On the lower captive nut, push around the nut to emboss its hex into the paper also. Remove template and accurately mark centerpoint of both embossed locations. Finally, transfer the three surface location marks to the same side as the hole locations (you could even fold the paper at these locations making the template 3-dimensional). Locations and dimensions could now be added making the template simple to reproduce.

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers from Connecticut!
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 09:45   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Well worthwhile project this. Anything that can be done to help replace the old style brake switch is going to be helpful.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote