Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Cap Door Wont Lock

Views : 15744

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 13:44   #1
Stone Free
VOC Member

Cool Fuel Cap Door Wont Lock

The fuel cap door does will not lock when all the doors are centrally locked either with the fob or key.......any suggestions on a fix ? As with cost of fuel these days ya cant be too careful.

V70 D5 S 2002
Stone Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 13:53   #2
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Theres usually a time delay for the fuel cap, if thats not working then you have a dead solonoid.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 14:17   #3

Hi, Stone free,
the fuel flap has never locked on my s80 since I got it 2yrs since , IMO the cost of damage done to the flap and possibly rear wing would be more expensive than a tank of fuel, so I have never bothered fixing it. Also I cannot remember the last time I heard of anyone I know having their tank drained.
If I was you I would leave it as it is.
Dave.
25622003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 15:03   #4
richards80

mine was the same as this but now works!!! after replacing a faulty alarm siren however it does take a good 10mins to lock after the car has deadlocked, do your hazard lights flash when locking??? as mine dont! but do when unlocking
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 15:08   #5
october37

AS S60-MBS states, there is a time delay.
Fuel flap motors are not things that go wrong that often.
Try locking the car as normal, and try the fuel flap after ten minutes have elapsed and it should have locked itself by then.
If not check the earth for the flap motor by slightly loosening and re-tightening the two torx screws inside the fuel filler compartment, and if that fails, check the electrical connection of the supply to the motor behind the offside cargo area rear pannel. If you still dont get it to work, a replacment s/h motor can usualy be bought on Ebay for a £10er

55reg V70SE D5 AWD Geartronic
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 21:22   #6
costajus

Lock the car then come back 15 mins later and see if the fuel flap is locked.

As others have said there is usually a delay locking the fuel flap.

You can get the delay changed/turned off but I believe the software has to be downloaded from Volvo (like when I had my Daytime Running Lights turned off) so it will cost you £30 at least if you can find an indie to do it for you.
costajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 22:53   #7
switcher
switcher

Smile

Pull the trim back a bit inside the boot and you can slide the rod over by hand to lock it. It might even start working again.
switcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 10:40   #8
Stone Free
VOC Member

Cool

Time delay it is........just checked it out & sure enough its now locked. Thanks for everyones help.
Stone Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 19:23   #9
vjck_uk
Premier member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25622003 View Post
Hi, Stone free,
the fuel flap has never locked on my s80 since I got it 2yrs since , IMO the cost of damage done to the flap and possibly rear wing would be more expensive than a tank of fuel, so I have never bothered fixing it. Also I cannot remember the last time I heard of anyone I know having their tank drained.
If I was you I would leave it as it is.
Dave.
on my 07 model its a crappy bit of plastic holding it shut and as you say best left unlocked to save damage,what i have done is put a lockable cap on off my old 960
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 11:50   #10
deeppockets

Default XC90 fuel lock solenoid motor

Just experienced failure of the fuel lock - stuck locked. Fortunately it was discovered when I went to replace the hinge due to the spring clip mount having broken (imho does not look fit for purpose).

Taking the solenoid apart I found there is an electrical weakness where the conductors from the external connector enter the motor on push-fit arrangement. On my unit a push-fit connection had failed causing the motor to appear open circuit to the external connector.

I have repaired it, though not straight forward-
. remove the actuator from the black carrier
. open the actuator by removing screws and splitting case being careful not to lose the rubber stop between the actuator arms.
. carefully remove motor and connector conductors
. open motor by prying out the metal case's holding tabs
. use an awl or sharp nail to gently reform the copper conductors at the push-fit point to ensure a positive contact with push-fit conductors
. reassemble, repositioning the case's holding tabs with grips

Apart from the loose connection the unit showing no signs of wear or weathering, saved £100 on new unit (30612856).

deeppockets
2006 XC90 D5
deeppockets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel cap door, lock