Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting an after market reversing camera / monitor

Views : 7104

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 21:17   #1
mrooke
VOC Member

Default Fitting an after market reversing camera / monitor

Hi all, after my little 'bump' in July, below. I decided to fit an aftermarket reversing camera and monitor, to help prevent me from making the same mistake again.

It was relatively easy to fit and not too expensive either. I’d like to share my fitting experience with my fellow XC90 owners.

I bought the camera / lens (about £17), from the well-known auction site. Search for CCD Rear View Camera XC90. Ensure you specify PAL in the comments box, although the monitor states it’s compatible with PAL and NTSC. The seller I used was chenwenjiaoeb09

Example:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCD-Rear-V...item2314632135

I bought the monitor (about £25), model ET-430 from DealExtreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/et-430-...l-12v-dc-47973

I also bought a DC power extension lead, (DC 5M 2.5mm Extension Power Cable Lead CCTV, from the auction site) and some speaker cable (for power, only mA being used), from Wilkinsons. Obviously, you will also need some form of connectors / splices to connect to the car wiring. Many different types are available for you to use. Use what you're comfortable using.

For just under £50 and a bit of time, you'll have a great system, giving you much more confidence when you're reversing.

Firstly, you need to remove the off side number plate light, using a T20 or T25 bit, can't remember exactly which size. The lens assembly comes out with the bulb fitting between the 2 metal contacts. The bulb and 2 metal contacts have to be removed and fitted to the camera lens. Also, you need to remove the rubber seal, to fit on the new camera lens.

There is a slight problem here, in that the slots for the metal contacts on the camera lens aren't quite wide enough to push in the metal contacts. Somehow you need to make these bigger, until they fit in fully /properly. I used a sharp Stanley knife to carefully cut away the excess plastic. If you have a Dremmel, or something similar, with a very small drill bit, this could be done quickly and easily.

Below is the original lens, showing the 2 slots where the metal contacts fit in.

Now you need to gain access to the rear of the number plate light assembly. To do this, you need to remove the boot light, from the near side of the tail gate. This easily clips out using a trim tool or small screwdriver. Disconnect the connector and remove the light assembly. Inside, there is a screw. Remove the screw (T20 or T25 again).

On the off side of the trim panel, there is the handle, which needs to be removed. There are 2 slots inside, which need to be pushed in fairly firmly, to release it. Once you have done this, using a trim tool, remove the handle from the trim panel. Inside, there is a screw. Remove the screw (T20 or T25 again).

Once the above 2 screws have been removed, the panel just unclips from the tail gate. Now you can see the inside of where the number plate light assembly is. It states in the advert for the camera, that no drilling is required. However, on my car, I had to drill a hole through the plastic case on the number plate light assembly, to feed the 2 cables (1 video & 1 power). I did this to the lower / middle part of the case.

Now fit the camera / lens to number plate light.

Now you need to remove the trim panel on the RHS of the tailgate, along the off side of the rear window. This just unclips very easily.

Now you need to remove the trim panel at the top of the tail gate. This easily clips off. You need to drill a hole in this panel, to allow the feeding of the cables to the rubber conduit.

Now you need to remove the rear roof trim panel. Remove the 2 screw covers and the T20 or T25 screws beneath the 2 covers. The panel then easily unclips. Disconnect the light unit from the panel. Remove the panel.

Beneath the panel, you will see the hose for the rear wash wipe. Disconnect this at the union beneath this panel. Put some covers on the 6th / 7th seats, just in case any fluid escapes. None came out of mine. Now remove the rubber conduit between the tail gate and the rear frame.

Now that you have gained this access, it’s time to partly run in the cables, between the camera and the rear roof lining. I connected the video extension cable (which comes with the camera lens) and speaker cable to the camera power cable. These connections sit nicely in the space on the off side corner of the tailgate. Once connections are made, secure with tyraps to make it neat. Route the 2 cables up the off side channel next to the window. Use tape to hold them in place. Then route the cables to the drilled hole on the top of the tail gate and feed them through to the opening left by the removed rubber conduit. Feed the cables and then the water hose through the rubber grommet and through to the cabin. Refit the 2 ends of the rubber conduit.

Reconnect the rubber hose at the union.
Remove the aft floor panel (above the battery) and the off side triangular shaped polystyrene block. Then remove the access panel as if you are going to change a light bulb in the off side light unit.
Now route the 2 cables down behind the aft quarter panel, so that they are visible behind the off side rear light unit. Here is where you will make the connection for the power / earth. You will see a small loom covered in insulation tape, which comes from the light unit. Remove the tape. The POSITIVE power is taken from the BLUE wire. The NEGATIVE is taken from the BLACK wire. Make these connections here. I also used these connections to power up the monitor, rather than hunt for the reversing power feed at the front of the car. You could if you wanted, fit a fuse in-line here but I didn’t, as the circuit will be protected by the reversing light circuit fuse.

Now it’s a matter of routing the power (using the power extension lead I bought)and video cables to the front of the car. I routed them along the floor lines, under the plastic trim all the way. I then made the 2 connections to the monitor, behind the access panel, for the off side fuse panel, on the dashboard. The single cable to the monitor then just pushes between the trim panels all the way up to the corner mounting position.

If all is well, when you select reverse gear, the monitor will start to show you the image from behind the car.

The furthest carpet away, is 2 meters from the car (green). The middle carpet is 1 meter away (yellow). The one closest is placed directly below at the back of the car.

In these pictures, the 2 carpets are placed right up against the back of the car but not behind the car, just to the side.

Now, as they always say, refitting of all the trim panels is a reverse of the removal. Just take care when refitting them. Don’t trap any cables. Also be careful with the plastic clips, as if they are not properly lined up, you may damage them. (I did on one but will get it sorted at the next service. Should (I hope) only be a few pence.

I was so impressed with the system, that I have now modified it so that I can switch it on when driving forward. Useful for the long journeys to Europe, when the boot is full and the rear view mirror is a waste of time. Obviously, that requires the use of extra cable, a blocking diode (to stop the reversing lights also coming on when going forward) and a switch. The picture on the move is very smooth.

I hope this helps someone achieve the same and good luck. If anyone has anything to add to it, please feel free.

Thanks,
Mick..

Last edited by mrooke; Sep 30th, 2011 at 21:40.
mrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mrooke For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 22:24   #2
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Great write-up and clear instructions. Thanks Mick!
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron_XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 22:41   #3
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Well done mate, great write up, I remember you buying this a few months back.

A little tempted to be honest!!
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 00:57   #4
jalc70

That looks amazing!

Was looking at fitting this for much for the same reason no drilling, how is the night vision on this camera?
jalc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jalc70 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 02:52   #5
hancym
Master Member

What triggers the camera & monitor to power up when reverse is selected? Did you take a feed from the reversing light?
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 21:04   #6
mrooke
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalc70 View Post
That looks amazing!

Was looking at fitting this for much for the same reason no drilling, how is the night vision on this camera?
It does involve a little bit of drilling, as stated in the write up however it's not visible on completion.

I haven't tried it on night vision yet but believe it will be fine, as it's a CCD camera (instead of CMOS) which allows better sensitivity in low light conditions. The specification for the camera states <0.5 lux.

When I go home in the next few days, I'll try it and report back, possibly with a photo.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 21:07   #7
mrooke
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
What triggers the camera & monitor to power up when reverse is selected? Did you take a feed from the reversing light?
Yes, the power for both was taken from the off side reversing light cable.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 18:54   #8
red850r
855R Driver

I always imagine aftermarket jobbie to be a bit naff,but
This is a very neat job, thanks for sharing, job well done.
red850r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red850r For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:46   #9
NeedTeddy

Default Similar install using wireless

Thanks for the great write-up! I have been researching such an install for some time now but bought the same LCD and CCD camera as yours but elect to use a wireless video transmitter/receiver to avoid running the cable through the car. I have some questions:

1. Why not just wire the camera to the license plate light? In the states, the headlamp dial switch is as follows:

-Position 0: Front head lamps on = daytime running lights, no other lights
-Position 1: Front head lamps off, parking lights include license plate light on
-Position 2: All lamps on.

This way I can use position 1 and 2 to active the camera and have it on full time. I can always disconnect/power off the LCD if I don't need it. What do you think? Also, how did you drill the hole for the camera cables to pass through the license plate lights? Can you take a picture of the hole? Thanks again.
NeedTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote