Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Please help - 10 minutes to de-mist windscreen!!!

Views : 6517

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 16:04   #1
S40 Squared

Thumbs down Please help - 10 minutes to de-mist windscreen!!!

Ok, I can tell its getting colder as the windscreen is misting up more frequently and is taking 10 minutes to clear. I actually timed it (sad I know).

I follow what the handbook advises (close the vents, direct flow to windscreen, aircon mode is automatically engaged, fan set at max speed) yet I still end up sat waiting for 10 mins (admittedly with the heated seat turned on - it has been chilly). The time it takes to clear is annoying and burns fuel. This will only get worse as it gets colder.

This happens to my diesel S40, but never happens on the 1.8 petrol S40 which we also have. No idea why this is the case. I have cleaned the windscreen using cleaners, tried various measures to help de-mist it but using a cloth all the time doesnt get rid of the issue.

Any ideas or advice would be really welcome - this is the only thing that annoys me about my S40 - I love the rest of the car.

Cheers
S40 Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 16:07   #2
gatos
Premier Member

If you put your hand in the top windscreen vents, can you feel the air coming out?

If no, then you need to look at the air circulation mechanism.

If there is air coming out, then a wild guess is that you have some water in your car. Could be under the carpets or some other area

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 16:15   #3
S40 Squared

I can feel air from each of the vents but it doesn't have much force behind it. The dial is aimed at the windscreen icon and its fresh air hitting it (the a/c button automatically goes green when I turn it to windscreen).

I dont use the car a lot now, but its really inconvenient when the windscreen wont clear. No signs of water ingress in footwells or anywhere. I use our 1.8 S40 as a benchmark as everything works fine on that one - its always mine with "issues".
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 16:27   #4
pphilpot
Premier Member

What about the pollen filter - when was that last changed? An old one of those stuffed with debris can cause this.

Oh, and apparently the AC is a good thing as it dries the air - just make sure that you turn the heat on
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 16:31   #5
gatos
Premier Member

It is possible that the motor mechanism moving the flap to send the air to the windscreen is not working very well.

A tell tell sign of this is to check if air is coming out from any of the other vents at all. You should expect a tiny bit of air coming from the other vents but not a lot. If you can feel more air coming from elsewhere then I would think that your problem is there.

This is the main box which directs the air in different places. It is located behind the stereo console
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1273.JPG (168.9 KB, 99 views)

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 16:49   #6
960kg
Premier Member

One more thing not mentioned,

All the windows have to be closed with a Volvo otherwise the process is more inefficient

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 18:05   #7
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilpot View Post
What about the pollen filter - when was that last changed? An old one of those stuffed with debris can cause this.

Oh, and apparently the AC is a good thing as it dries the air - just make sure that you turn the heat on
I agree with this and would be my first suggestion - changing my filter last year made a MASSIVE difference. It seems to be clogged up again now though, certainly not as bad as it was, but I assume it does clog up with dust once a year. Less than £15 on eBay for a new filter delivered, and you could probably get a decent price from FRF/Rufe also. There's a very simple guide to changing it in the x40 Articles section wot I have wroted.

Oddly, the filter didn't seem to make as much difference to the dash or footwell blowers.....!? Very strange.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 21:13   #8
S40 Squared

Thanks Gatos for the info. There is a minimal amount of air that comes from the other dashboard vents (face) but I know that this is nothing to worry about. I also close these vents to put full force on the windscreen - even if it is as powerful as a "mouse with a cough"! Oh, the flap makes a normal clunk so I think its operating fine.

All the windows are up when I try this (good point 960kg).
pphilpot - the pollen filter was changed last year (but I am suspicious of Harratts in Leeds.....they said they did it). Will double check it though.

Baldmosher, I found your post with pictures after I made my original post. Looks like an easy enough job. One question - your replacement filter looked curved at one end rather than square - is this correct or is it my eyesight? Just to double check, is this the cabin air filter or pollen filter?

Will try the filter first - job for this weekend.
Thanks to everyone for your advice - I will let you know how I get on!

Thanks all for the input - I shall keep you posted
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 21:23   #9
Thom12
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40 Squared View Post
I can feel air from each of the vents but it doesn't have much force behind it. The dial is aimed at the windscreen icon and its fresh air hitting it (the a/c button automatically goes green when I turn it to windscreen).

I dont use the car a lot now, but its really inconvenient when the windscreen wont clear. No signs of water ingress in footwells or anywhere. I use our 1.8 S40 as a benchmark as everything works fine on that one - its always mine with "issues".
Seems like something is up. I have an S40 and when i put the front demister on the power of the blower usually means i have to turn up the radio!
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 21:48   #10
DWM
VOC Member

Close all the other vents too. I've never known whether this is because the mysterious (to me) mechanisms that lurk behind the dash are faulty or not, but the force of the air coming from the windscreen vents is definitely improved on mine if you shut off the other outlets.