Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garmin 1490T Fitted to Volvo Sat Nav Housing

Views : 3465

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 20:27   #1
martin j

Default Garmin 1490T Fitted to Volvo Sat Nav Housing

I purchased from ebay a secondhand radio unit to fix my ICM and included with the radio was a Sat Nav screen/motor unit. After trying to get the screen to raise and turn on without any luck, I decided to try and fit an all in one Sat Nav unit (Garmin 1490T) inside the case instead. Basically I removed all the components from the unit apart from the small motor and gears that are used for rasing and lowering the screen. I found applying 12v DC to the motor would raise the unit and then reversing the polarity it would lower. I purchase and latched double pole changeover relay item No.(120791668592) from ebay which would let me press a button once to make the unit raise and once again to lower instead of having a rocker type switch which would need to be held until the unit raised/lowered. Then I needed to cut the power off the motor to stop the screen in the correct positions. I did this by fitting two limit switches one to cut the feed when lowered and one when it was raised, these switches had double contacts one set made when pressed and one set made when not pressed. Once I got the unit rasing and lowering and stopping in the correct positions it was time to find a unit that would fit. In the end a large screen garmin 1490T was the best fit I could find as it is a very thin unit which gave just about enough room with the power lead. I powered the lift motor from position 8 (+12v) in the drivers side fuse box in dash and I also needed a switched supply to power the Garmin as I wanted this to turn on as the screen raised and off as it lowered this supply I took from the 12v outlet by heater controls and cut the supply thro the push to make contacts in the raise limit switch so that when the unit was down it would not be draining the car battery. Both supplies to the motor and Garmin were fused @ 1A. I positioned the operating switch under the cover for the cup holder as per photo. Sorry about the discription (Harder to write down than do), sure I have forgotten lots, hope it helps someone,. I tidied up all the wiring before final fitting before anyone asks and the cost was £115 Garmin (With Bluetooth), Relay & encloser £18, Switch £1.95, wire and limit switches I had in garage. Have attached some photos hope it helps. Any question please ask.
Martin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nav opened.jpg (239.7 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Nav in front frame.jpg (148.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Nav without cover.jpg (215.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg unit raised without nav.jpg (182.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Top limit switch.jpg (203.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Latch relay unit.jpg (228.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom of unit.jpg (218.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse 8 .jpg (234.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Nav closed.jpg (276.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Button.jpg (239.1 KB, 119 views)
martin j is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to martin j For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 20:45   #2
excaleng
Ex Executive Club Member

Cracking job Martin, very professionaly done.
Sold into slavery: Volvo XC90 SE D5 AWD (185BHP) MY06
Retired: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd
excaleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 08:03   #3
renesis

good write up martin,
with the garmin sat nav i assume no addition gps antenna is needed because it is all bult in?

so all i would need is a motorised unit and the garmin. and of course a mounting bracked. wires and relays i can get hold of no problem.

did any fault codes pop up during the installation. when you disconnected the battery ?

cheers
renesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 16:46   #4
martin j

Thats right no need for any external GPS antenna with the garmin and it also turns itself on when the 12v supply is on and off when its off. You are right all you need is the motor unit and the Garmin some wire,switches & and Dremal tool for cutting bits out of the Sat Nav metal case for the limit switches and wiring. Had no problems with fault codes when disconnecting battery, always had the ignition off before removing the -ve battery terminal.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 18:57   #5
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

brilliant setup, I fancied doing something like this but I couldnt find an old volvo satnav unit , well at a reasonable price anyway
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 19:16   #6
martin j

I think ebay is the only cheap option. I was lucky to get full Radio unit with ICM which I neeed to sort out my radio and it came with Sat Nav with colour matched dash bits for £100 delivered. Just keep lookng.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 20:06   #7
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

yes i will, was your car fitted with a satnav as standard ?
dave
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 22:36   #8
martin j

No Sat Nav fitted.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 22:59   #9
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

so you had to source the grille with cutout and the complete plastic base that the satnav holder fixes to ?
dave
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 08:48   #10
martin j

The Sat Nav screen I got included the mounting plate with cover and was the right colour for my interior, which sort of started me wanting to get the thing working one way or another.
The Following User Says Thank You to martin j For This Useful Post: