Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo governor - possible cheaper replacement

Views : 13701

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2012, 17:39   #1
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

Default Turbo governor - possible cheaper replacement

After reading this thread I decided to order up a 'vacuum modulator' from a VW/Audi application to see if it would indeed fit.

I don't know if my own governor is shot, but after 10 years and 230k miles it's probably past it's best - and for the cost involved I thought it worth a shot.

I ordered this part from GSF and used the code 'offer10' to get 10% discount. The part arrived next day at a cost of £32.82 all in. I believe the Volvo part is in the £150+ region, so that's what makes this look like a worthwhile exercise.

On first inspection it looks very much like the Volvo part (I can't make a direct comparison until I have the original removed). One primary difference is that it does not have the 'filter' over the exhaust/inlet, but I figure I can probably swap that part over.

The other (pretty crucial) difference is that the electrical connection seems to be some kind of VAG/Bosch thing and not what Volvo use. This will slow things up but won't stop the project. I intend to visit the scrappies at the weekend to see if I can plunder the appropriate connector, failing that I have found one online supplier so far - but it looks a bit expensive for what it is.

I'll update as and when I make progress.

Pics of the item received today:

Old Sep 21st, 2012, 18:00   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i do hope it works as that is a very good saving, as long as at the outport you get 25hg at idle and that figure changes when the throttle is applied for £33 its worth a punt
mike
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 18:43   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-011-...way-2436-p.asp
any good.
mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yosser.JPG (178.2 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 20:01   #4
LJD
I've Been Banned

I love threads like that "Beating the system" is a great hobby of mine

good luck
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 21:27   #5
Yosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
Thanks for that Mike, it may well be a connector like that that'll do the trick.

I had originally figured it might be like this one, but you've put a doubt in my mind now.

Old Sep 21st, 2012, 21:38   #6
5cilinder
Premier Member

All fuellprep equipment is bosch on these volvo's
I needed last year a few new connectors for the fuelpump and railpressure regulator
Your local Boschservice will have them
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:17   #7
Yosser

I had another look at the GSF website and it looks like this part would be a direct fit, albeit the price is £85.20.

I'll persist with the one I have, as a £50 price differential is worth a wee bit of wiring adaptation.

I'm not likely to get to the scrappy until tomorrow, so no progress likely until then at the earliest.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 16:36   #8
Yosser

I managed to get finished from work in time to get to the scrappy today and I've found the connectors I need.

For reference I removed them from a VW Golf and Audi A3 (I took 2) and both were used to connect the windscreen washer pump.

£2 later I've got 2 of these:

More to follow when I get round to attempting to fit the governor.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 20:09   #9
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

looking good
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 17:44   #10
Yosser

Time for an update...

Last weekend I tried to measure the output from the vacuum pump and managed to convince myself it was faulty, so I located a used spare and fitted it today.

Having done that I measured the vac again and was only getting 10in/hg at any rpm.

After a bit of dismantling and measuring with a vacuum test pump I discovered that my governor was actually faulty, so this replacement exercise is actually required after all.

As per previous posts the connection on my new governor is not the same as the Volvo unit so I started there.

I was going to cut and splice the VW connector I got from the scrappy into the loom, but I had a change of heart and decided to make a patch lead just in case I wanted to revert to the original part.

Using the VW connector shown in a previous post, I attached a connector I bought from ebay. I'm sure these could be bought cheaper if you have a Farnell account (or similar), but I was pushed for time.

Comparison of original governor connection and new plug:

Patch lead made from VW plug and new plug:

Turning to the governor itself, once off it looked pretty identical to the VW/Audi part I had bought new. The main difference seemed to be the filter over the vent pipe.

Fortunately the vent filter assembly just clips off and can be fitted to the new part, so here is the new governor ready to fit;

Actually, it wasn't ready to fit - the new part has slightly narrower mounting slots although this was easily sorted with a round file.

The new governor with patch lead & filter all fitted:

After a brief test drive I can say that I think the car is stronger in the low/mid range - because the VNT will now be working It's smoother at idle - because the vac engine mounts are working, and I think it's less smoky as well. I am also hoping that the fuel consumption will improve, but only time will tell.

I did notice that when stationary (bonnet up) if I rev the car I can hear a venting type noise (dump valve-esque) when the throttle is released. This was not there before (probably due to no vacuum) and is not audible when driving the car.

I'm also happy to say that the persistent ECM6805 that the car has had has now gone