Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 940 safety?

Views : 17597

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 18:47   #1
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Default Volvo 940 safety?

One of my relatives doesn't approve of my new 940. She hasn't said as such, but it is quite clear.

First she had a dig about its fuel economy. More than once I should add.

Then today came the bombshell. 'Its big on safety features though is it!'

I had to ask her to repeat, I wasn't sure I'd heard correctly.

'Apparently it got less than one star, your sister's car got 6'.

My sister drives a Vauxhall Astra.

I tried to explain that Volvo have always led the way on safety features, and have always been years ahead of most other manufacturers but I could see I was wasting my breath.

I've seen plenty of videos on t'interweb of old Volvos being 'tested' and they seem to do really well. I wonder what this 'less than 1 star' could mean, surely not the Euro NCAP stuff?

I don't care. I think the 940 is one of the safest cars on the road, even by today's standards, but it would be good to be able to tell this relative that she is talking out of her rear end.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 18:53   #2
SteveP
300 Maniac

I don't think the 900 series was ever tested to Euro NCAP standards. At the time of manufacture the 940 was a very safe car. It probably still is but safety has definitely moved on leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.

I think bizarrely the second generation Renault Laguna was the first car to receive 5 stars - if the Astra is a relatively new model it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be safer than the 940 - but then that's not exactly fair is it?

I wouldn't let your relative put you off anyway, the 940 is a safe car (even more so if you compare like for like) - it's just that the modern stuff is even safer
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 18:54   #3
Palmer
Premier Member

Fortunately, ive crashed a 940 into an astra.....

Lets put it this way... I didn't feel a thing, and drove my car onto the trailer. Nuff said....

How many miles has her astra done to your 940? Throw that in her face lmao
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Palmer For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 19:12   #4
Blue 8
Premier Member

In tearms of safely a new astra would no doubt run circles around your 940 , so ask her polity to put money where her mouth is and buy you a new astra if shes so concerned, basically put up or shut up.

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy

Last edited by Blue 8; Mar 31st, 2013 at 19:16.
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 19:14   #5
Forrest
VOC Member

The reason I bought my first 940 was because I had seen the immediate aftermath of a crash between a Volvo estate and a mini on the motorway many years ago. The Volvo was parked on the hard-shoulder and apart from the pushed-in front bumper still looked drivable and you had to look twice to see it had been in an accident at all. The mini was in two halves about a hundred yards apart.

Your relative is probably thinking about the well known Renault Modus vs Volvo 940 crash test video which you can find on YouTube. It is true that the safety of small cars has improved. Most are designed around a structural safety cage and they also have a host of additional safety features such as air-bags that were only available on large luxury cars when the 940 was designed. However, the 940 is still a safe car and is also much more likely to be safely repairable after an accident than a modern super-mini.

In terms of economy, you need to consider total cost of ownership. You could undoubtedly buy a car which could do twice the mpg compared to the 940. However, could you buy a really nice one for under £1,000. Would it be easy and cheap to maintain and be good for 250k miles without major expenditure? You can buy a lot of petrol for the money you save on depreciation and servicing.

Finally, think how your 940 compares to an Astra for load space and towing capability. And, with a bit of care, it will still be on the road when the Astra is baked-bean cans!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 19:28   #6
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I think bizarrely the second generation Renault Laguna was the first car to receive 5 stars - if the Astra is a relatively new model it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be safer than the 940 - but then that's not exactly fair is it?
It was only the first one to get a 5* rating because they introduced the 5th Star after they tested the original S80...
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 19:29   #7
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

I've just watched the Modus vs 940 thing on youtube. It was a bit of an eye opener, but I'm not put off my 940.

I've also seen everything I need to tell my relative that she is talking out of her exhaust. The 940 has no official safety rating, therefore this claim that it has 'less than 1 star' is clearly utter rubbish. Just completely made up and irrelevant.

My approach to road safety has always been the same anyway, no matter what I'm driving. My safety rule book only has one short sentence in it.

"Don't crash".

And if I do crash it, accidents happen after all, well if I crash head on with a closing speed of 80mph, its going to hurt no matter what I'm in.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rippedoffagain For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 19:35   #8
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

A traffic officer once told me of a collision between a 900 and a Transit, where the 900 had T-boned the van after the van driver pulled out of a junction in error.
The van driver died (unsurprising considering that vans never used to be engineered for crash safety), but the female driver of the 900 was not wearing a seatbelt and walked away with a small bruise to her face.

Every collision is different, and there are so many variables affecting chances of survival - the slightest change of collision angle or more obvious ones like speed and the weight and collapsibility of the object being collided with.

With the advent of transverse-mounted engines for their FWD models, Volvo themselves will have found it much easier to build crumple zones that deform predictably and assist in minimising cabin intrusion.
Having a longitudinal-mounted engine and the increased likelihood of cabin intrusion is probably a significant reason why the 700/900 crumple zones can't quite match modern standards.

I'd still love to own a nice one though!

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70 B5254T For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 19:39   #9
gpl1968
VOC Member

Maybe you could show her this thread: (click on pic to go to thread)

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 19:49   #10
Forrest
VOC Member

I've had two minor accidents in my 940s. An unfortunate snow experience where I left the road sideways on a bend and passed through a barbed wire fence. Two fence posts broke off. Because of the barbed wire I had to get some panels resprayed but no panel beating was required.

On another occasion I ran into the back of a VW Golf. The third party insurance claim was £370. I repaired my own car for £20 - replacement headlamp unit of eBay. £200 excess avoided.

You're right about the 80 mph head-on collisions, but most accidents are minor and the 940 is very tough!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: