Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 spare wheel

Views : 1808

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 18:11   #1
velocette

Default V60 spare wheel

I am just about to close the deal on a V60 diesel auto to replace a miley toyota. The safety features and towing ability appeal, and it does have a bot more oomph as well. I have read the threads about spare wheels and like others will not drive a car without a spare of some sort. a can of gloop in the scottish highlands with no garage nearby or mobile phone signal is not something to contemplate. There was a discussion that said there was room for a skinny spare under the boot floor, and would involve either removing the odds and ends tray or cutting a hole in it. There are also some lumpy electronic gizmos there that need protection. so it looks as if it is possible, but my question is has anybody actually done it and do they keep a skinny spare there?

if so then I will proceed with the deal and get one of those £160ish kits from ebay. if not then it looks like another toyota if I cant find a C class estate that suits. I dont want a BMW, timing chains prone to snap on the diesels, and the auto DSG box on the VAG vehicles appears problematic. SUV type vehicles dont appeal, and the two toyotas we have are wonderfully reliable and economical so if the V60 doesnt work out then it is Mr Sensible all over again, and maybe some string back gloves to go with it.

Thanks Velocette.
velocette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 20:45   #2
ian77

On longer trips when I need the boot space, I remove the tray and stick the spare under there with the tools and stuff stowed in the middle of it. I've not got as far as cutting a hole in the tray yet, suspect the cost of a new tray would be three figures... The only reasons I don't leave it there all the time are 1) finding somewhere to stow the nets/triangle etc when the wheel is in, and 2) that lingering concern the wheel isn't fastened down even though it's a pretty snug fit.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 21:03   #3
velocette

Talking

Thanks Ian, very helpful and I think enough to tip me over the edge :-) V
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 23:38   #4
enquirer62

Talking

I had no problem fitting a space saver spare wheel and tools under the floor of my 2012 V60 D2 DRIVe having first removed the tray. The tailgate closes over the floor so not likely to have a loose wheel flying around in the event of a "head on"....
However, my neighbor has just taken delivery of a new V60 D3 along with a space saver spare wheel. Having removed the tray we noticed how much shallower the boot well is compared to the earlier model particularly the rear end over the exhaust. We did manage to site the wheel with difficulty and had to ease the rear edge of the tyre under the rear boot trim close to the tailgate lock. this then allows the floor to close down"just"...The problem is not so much the wheel height under the floor but the ribs on the underside of the floor itself. One of the ribs just snags the front of the tyre on closing down the floor, hence the need to ensure the wheel is as far back as possible.
Not sure if other models in the V60 range are the same, but for those prospective purchasers who like myself would not dream of driving without a "spare" on board, i advise getting the dealer to check it out... Leaving the spare, lashed or loose on the floor in the boot is not on ...

David, 2012 V60 D2 DRIVe SE Lux, Silver,
enquirer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 23:47   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

I agree always best to have a spare wheel, although the RAC carry universal spare wheels for people who have tyre inflating kits. Not helpful though, if as you say, you may not have a mobile signal to call them!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 22:00   #6
velocette

Well, I bought it! Its an ES D5 with heated leather seats and 40k on the clock. I bought a Volvo spare wheel and zip on cover from eBay for £80 and added a t bar and socket from my tool set together with the jack from the Toyota. The wheel and cover with tools inside just squeeze under the boot floor, tray removed of course. I am a little concerned at the lack of securing points to anchor it but I will take a closer look when I have more time. There is a boot liner that came with the car which helps to keep the boot floor in place. So far I am very pleased with the car having covered 400 miles since I collected it on Saturday morning.

I will post a more considered update in due course. Thanks to all, Velocette