Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fan Belt Breaking the Cambelt

Views : 6987

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2013, 20:27   #1
el ronster

Default Fan Belt Breaking the Cambelt

Hi..

I am about to trade "up" my '01 T5 to a '08 D5...

I am getting the D5 for a song as the fan belt has broken and destroyed the engine by getting into the Timing belt cover... it had the recall done, but the fan belt broke due to AC pump seizing.

I am a little nervous about this as it seems to be a relatively common problem... i.e. the fan belt breaks, its probably going to end up in the timing belt case...

do you guys have any thoughts?

TIA
el ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 19:44   #2
el ronster

Looking through the forums this appears to be a common(ish) fault, not sure if that is a fair assessment, anyone got any thoughts?
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:17   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

I wonder if this is a problem due to lack of awareness?

I find it unusual that my aux belt life span is half that of the main cambelt, I've not come across this before in cars. If owners are not aware, they may not be getting the belts replaced at the right time!

But that raises a question, who is responsible for deducing what is needed on what services? Is it the responsibility of the dealer/garage to check the history of the car to decide the correct service is done, or is the onus on the owner to specify what they want doing in a service? What exactly does service mean anyway? I imagine a main dealer will be more fastidious about getting the service interval correct and ask the mileage and age, but what about independants and places like Halfords/Kwik Fit. There does a service simply mean an oil and filter change with no other work being done unless specified by the customer?

When buying my car I was nearly left in a bad predicament by the Volvo main Dealer who sold it to me. They replaced the cambelt, but not the A/C belt or or aux belt. If it was not for me being so pedantic and questioning everything, I could have carried on driving unawares and had a costly aux belt failure.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 13:43   #4
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

Volvo determine the service schedule and its clearly laid out what is to be done at what service , get hold of a copy and you will see exactly what is required and when its required

If you decide for some strange reason to go to somewhere like kwikfit you would need to ensure they are aware of what is required and just as important they do it and use OEM parts

Best bet DIY then you know its right!

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...intenance.html

Last edited by Percy topliss; Sep 27th, 2013 at 13:55.
Percy topliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 15:24   #5
clivea
clivea

It is clear in the service schedules but some may be confused when some of the belts were changed under recall, and then the aux/ac belts get out of step with the maintenance schedule. My dealer, MRG, were quite fastidious they said that their recommendation for my car was to still pay for the belts to be changed at the normal service interval even though they would not have done the time or mileage since they were replaced under recall. Clearly in my ownership of this car I will be paying for this intermediate belt change at some stage so in reality either I am paying for it sometime before it would be due, or will be paying for it at the time I would normally be having the work done.

Must say though that I am still a mite uncomfortable with the cambelt cahnge periodicity. I've not had a cambelt car for years now I've got two. talk about expense, I just might sell them both and keep my old 78k Pajero with its chain cam!

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 20:34   #6
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

A lot of manufactures have reverted to chain driven cams pity volvo are not one Had a belt go on a previous volvo T5 at half the milage volvo claimed it should last , since then i have changed them at 40k ,Over the top maybe but it cost me lot to repair my T5 even though i did the work myself
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 21:08   #7
el ronster

so is is quite a high probability that if the fan belt breaks on one of these through misfortune, or bad maintenance then its going in to the timing case?
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 22:17   #8
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ronster View Post
so is is quite a high probability that if the fan belt breaks on one of these through misfortune, or bad maintenance then its going in to the timing case?

Very good chance obviously the higher the engine speed the more damage it will likely cause , easy fix replace it every 20k miles and check the associated pulley bearings for wear
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 23:06   #9
JRL
Master Member

I had the cam belt changed on my 2008 S60 D5 as soon as I got it despite there being an entry in the service book saying it had already been done. Good job too, as my mechanic told me that not only had the belt been nipped when it was being put on but that the tensioner/s had not been changed. Only a matter of time before either the belt or the tensioner gave up the ghost.

Then after reading on here about the aux belt, it was back to the mechanic to get that changed as well!

Expensive I know but worth the peace of mind.

Where can I get details of when to change the belts as per Volvo? In the service book or is the service plan downloadable from somewhere?
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 00:00   #10
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
I had the cam belt changed on my 2008 S60 D5 as soon as I got it despite there being an entry in the service book saying it had already been done. Good job too, as my mechanic told me that not only had the belt been nipped when it was being put on but that the tensioner/s had not been changed. Only a matter of time before either the belt or the tensioner gave up the ghost.

Then after reading on here about the aux belt, it was back to the mechanic to get that changed as well!

Expensive I know but worth the peace of mind.

Where can I get details of when to change the belts as per Volvo? In the service book or is the service plan downloadable from somewhere?

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...intenance.html