Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Am i going to have wheel clearance issues?

Views : 2963

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2014, 17:21   #11
lee4391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
You will probably have to counterbore the front spacers as well. I bought the stupidly expensive H&R spacers for mine and they come with special nuts to fit the spacers. Most alloy wheels have pockets in the hub face that clear the extra bit of studs but I had to cut mine off as I have steel wheels on mine.

Have you tried the wheels on both sides at the back ? Depending on the ride height the panhard rod will pull the axle sideways a fair amount so you might have more or less room the other side.

I love the Civic in the background. I had one from new and go looking on ebay every time I see one.
One side does have a little more clearance yeah, but i had a feeling this would be the case.

The civic is my main project, i've just finished reshelling it into the blue shell you see above. I had my last shell for 4 years. I've been building it for track days, its got some pretty serious bits on it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
just sort it mate, they look the nuts. as for the dust cap cant you remove it and just put a small bit of duct tape over them? the spacer will keep it in place
Oh i'm going too! i had another test fit today, took some measurements to have the spacers ammended. As for the dust cap, i will just have the I.D of the front spacers made deeper as it is only 17mm into the spacer and could do with being about 23mm deep.

Also the rears need to be counterbored 2.5mm, 16mm diameter.

Pictures...

Ideally the front could have another half coil chopped off but the shock is too long. I have been looking into shorter inserts and 240 inserts work but need a spacer in the strut housing or to have the strut housing shortened. I think the top mount might need modding aswell. I will do some research.

If i could have the car sitting level and maybe do the camber mod to the front struts it should have plenty of clearance up front.

We shall see.

Lee
lee4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2014, 17:45   #12
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I like that !
It looks like there is a bit more space on the passenger side which would be right as the panhard rod would shove it over that way.

How much too long do you think the front shocks are ? Swapping them for shorter ones is easier but was wondering if some travel can be gained by modding the mounts in some way.

I'm thinking I need to get a set of Peugeot steels banded for mine. 7" wide isn't enough any more !
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2014, 17:50   #13
lee4391

I think the 240 shocks would be ideal as they're 20mm shorter which would probably be bang on.

Just need the extra spring preload so I can lop half a coil off.
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 09:02   #14
lee4391

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4391 View Post
Oh i'm going too! i had another test fit today, took some measurements to have the spacers ammended. As for the dust cap, i will just have the I.D of the front spacers made deeper as it is only 17mm into the spacer and could do with being about 23mm deep.

Also the rears need to be counterbored 2.5mm, 16mm diameter.

Lee
Right I got these machined ages ago using the above specs. The stud holes need to be counter bored on the rear to fit over the stud shoulder and the i.d of the spacer needs to be at least 23mm in depth on the front to clear the hub nut dust cap.

After having them machined they bolt on perfect. However wheel clearance is pretty minimal! Due to my choice of fitment.

The rears rub every now and then over deep undulations in the road or sharp fast corners due to soft suspension. The front scrub every now and then usually in sharp dips in the road.

Both front and rear arches have had the lip rolled up so rather than being an L shape they are a V shape. With a little bit more static camber the fronts will probably clear. The rear however are a bit too big in reality.

It doesn't help that I'm running a 45 profile tyre I'm sure clearance would be a whole lot better if I ran a 40 profile but I won't change anything until the tyres are dead.

Hope this has helped someone.

Lee
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 21:10   #15
Skyedriver
Master Member

Just to say, those tyres look to be 9 years old if they are still on the car (7 year old when pics taken)
Might be worth replacing them, I've had old tyres on some of my cars and it's amazing how much better new rubber is.Tony

Quote:
Hi all,

As said i can now upload some pictures as i'm on the PC.

Now these are the spacers in question...

These are the wheels in qestion, 17x9 et38 with the spacer the overall offset is et8.

This is the comical arch 'clearance'

And lastly this is how they sit in the arches, almost perfect.

Now the two problems i have are...

The rear studs have a shoulder of which protrudes out of the disc about 3-4mm, this means the spacer cannot sit on the disc face but rather on the stud shoulder. This is my fault as i didn't specify a counterbore when i ordered them. Stock wheels have a large counter bore to succumb this problem. So i will need to have the 30mm spacers couterbored on the back side, which is no problem.

Also on the fronts the stub axle dust cap, is to big to fit inside the inside of the spacer, its fine if you take it off, but then i assume dirt and crap can get into the wheel bearing which is good for no one. Best way to succumb this is to have the centre bore of the spacers lengthened as it is not full length atm, its probably only 15mm deep on the 25mm spacer. Or i could find a new solution for the dust cap.

I will have another play tomorrow and report my findings.

Oh and you will also have to cut the wheels studs down when fitting anything much less than a 30mm spacer.
Skyedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 22:07   #16
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default bat

I have 17x8 TSW Imolas with 25mm spacers. I stuck a heat gun on the front arches and rolled them with a baseball bat. They are very close to the struts but I've had no issues. My car is lowered 40mm too.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 06:03   #17
lee4391

When they're dead I'll change them. I rarely drive the car now to be honest as it was/is my daily but I have since got a work van and I still have my civic.

AD08s next I think.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 22:27   #18
Woods1

Where did you get your adaptors mate? Can only find one seller on eBay that will do 5x108 to 5x114.3
Woods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:44   #19
lee4391

Driftworks. They're custom made by supaforma to the specs you give them.

If you do have them custom made take note of the measurements below otherwise you will have trouble fitting them. The rear spacers need to be counterbored to clear the studs and the fronts need a larger counterbore than default to clear the front dust cap. All the measurements are somewhere in this thread.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:46   #20
Woods1

Quote:
Driftworks. They're custom made by supaforma to the specs you give them.

If you do have them custom made take note of the measurements below otherwise you will have trouble fitting them. The rear spacers need to be counterbored to clear the studs and the fronts need a larger counterbore than default to clear the front dust cap. All the measurements are somewhere in this thread.
Thanks for that, if you don't mind me asking how much were these adaptors?
Woods1 is offline   Reply With Quote