Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What do you make of this? Dashcam / main dealer test drive

Views : 6988

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2015, 18:51   #1
DaiRees72

Default What do you make of this? Dashcam / main dealer test drive

I'm in the General section because I'm not really sure where else to post this. It's partly a "look at my dash cam footage" and partly a "what the dealer gets up to with your car" thread.

So anyway, I can't even remember whether I told you guys that I got a dashcam a few months ago. Following advice from various forums I opted for the Mini 0801. This one in fact...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o07_s00

Here it is:

Since I've had it, my fellow road users have been quite well behaved, lots and lots of poor driving as always but nothing worthy of being arsed to take the card out of the camera to view the footage.

So after the car went into the garage last week I thought I'd have a look to see just what happens. Well the car ticked over in the workshop for 20 mins with no-one anywhere near it, and it was also parked up for huge chunks of time. I guess if the job sheet says that the warranty job should take an hour and a half, that's at least how long it must take? I reckon actual work couldn't have taken much more than 15 mins. Then he took it for a test drive...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I've posted that particular clip partly to demonstrate the video quality (which I'm very happy with) and partly because it caused a bit of a debate in hour house.

He's up around the 40 mph mark in 30 zones a couple of times on that short test drive. The wife says that he's not driving unsafely and he probably does that little loop several times a day so is very familiar with the road, but I reckon that if you're driving someone else's car you should at least have the courtesy to obey the law! For reference when I drove down the same piece of road at what I deemed to be a safe speed after picking the car up (without even considering viewing the videos) I topped out at 29 mph.

Not on a witch hunt or anything, I've no intention of escalating this, just interested in your opinions.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 18:59   #2
blackrevolver
Premier Member

This is why hidden camera shows are popular and make easy TV as you can always catch people out with a camera. You may get some stick for what appears to be a witch hunt (which I don't think it is) but I agree re the speeding, as you can mention to your wife that you didn't realise there was a law which says "if driver is comfortable with road, they can break the speed limit".

So if that's the case then you could write an anonymous letter! Lol

But jokes aside, the camera looks good quality, I'm looking at buying one of these dash cams myself and the one you have looks pretty neat quality wise.
blackrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackrevolver For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 19:03   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Seems a bit big and hard to use as the headrest
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 19:37   #4
rich1068
I've Been Banned

I don't make much of that at all other than the picture quality being very good. Does it log the speed he was doing?
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 19:38   #5
DaiRees72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Does it log the speed he was doing?
Yes, it's at the top left of the screen, along with some other info. You might have to go full screen to see it.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 23:21   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Its pretty irresponsible of the driver to break the speed limit in your car especially as it's you that will get the penalty points if he's been clocked whilst doing it.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 23:35   #7
Rooster
Speed freak

Is that the radio on in the background??

Apart from that looks ok to me, hes not flogging its nuts off and driving dangerous,

I don't like driving cars with dash cams in as i have a habit of talking to myself and moaning at other drivers so i would be recorded
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 10:13   #8
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiRees72 View Post
Yes, it's at the top left of the screen, along with some other info. You might have to go full screen to see it.
Yep. Didn't spot that. Seriously considering one of these again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Its pretty irresponsible of the driver to break the speed limit in your car especially as it's you that will get the penalty points if he's been clocked whilst doing it.
But he won't will he? Because the OP wasn't driving??
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 12:46   #9
andyranger

Picture quality very good

I used to live on the test route for a BMW garage, long straight through a housing estate (30mph speed limit) I used to see and hear M3's been ragged down the road, even managed to see one going sideways for a good 50yds.........
andyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 13:11   #10
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
But he won't will he? Because the OP wasn't driving??
The ticket would be issued to the registered keeper and then he would need to dispute it by providing the footage. He would also need to tell the issuing authority the name of the person which may be more difficult to do.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote