Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam Belt, tooth out of place??

Views : 15691

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2015, 00:05   #31
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Regardless of whose pulley is in post #10, your assessment that it's out by 20 teeth is incorrect anyway.
The pulley in post #10 is/was perfectly aligned.
Where do you get 165° out?!! Should've gone to Specsavers.
Seems so, i was asuming that the mark i could see at 5 o'clock was the real mark, dont come johnny lately mate, re read all posts ....
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 00:30   #32
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Regardless of whose pulley is in post #10, your assessment that it's out by 20 teeth is incorrect anyway.
The pulley in post #10 is/was perfectly aligned.
Where do you get 165° out?!! Should've gone to Specsavers.
Yeah, cheshired, have you re read all the posts now?

Then you should have spotted how i concluded CAM timing was out 165 deg.

I have petrol 2.4, my cam marks are on edge of sprockets, on D5 engine, its NOT at edge, but in cam wheel pic (POST 10), there is a mark at 5 O'clock, (20 teeth clockwise), so i seen it as NOT QUITE 180 deg, but estimated 165 deg, which if the mark i seen , and others seen, then yes, it would to all intents and purposes have been 20 teeth and 165 deg out, as there are only 360 deg in one revolution of any wheel, elemental my dear watson.
Yes, i never spotted the real mark, BUT had i been correct about mark at 5 O'clock , i would have been right about the timing Jump. Luckly as it happens, i got the wrong mark ( His PEN mark ) Just clarifying my error.

Last edited by 4candles; Apr 11th, 2015 at 00:40.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 00:42   #33
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles View Post
Yeah, cheshired, have you re read all the posts now?

Then you should have spotted how i concluded CAM timing was out 165 deg.

I have petrol 2.4, my cam marks are on edge of sprockets, on D5 engine, its NOT at edge, but in cam wheel pic (POST 10), there is a mark at 5 O'clock, (20 teeth clockwise), so i seen it as NOT QUITE 180 deg, but estimated 165 deg, which if the mar ki seen , and other seen, then yes, it would to all intents and purposes have been 20 teeth and 165 deg out, as there are only 360 deg in one revolution of any wheel, elemental my dear watson.
Yes, i never spotted the real mark, BUT had i been correct about mark at 5 O'clok , i would have been right about the timing Jump. Luckly as it happens, i got the wrong mark ( His PEN mark ) Ergo, thus... etc.
So....... I say you're wrong and you've just typed all this to agree with me?
So you've got lots of good reasons you were wrong? Great.
You were still wrong.
We all make mistakes and to be honest, I wouldn't have jumped on yours had it not been for your obnoxious and unhelpful comments #18 and #20.

Now we're all clear on that, back to helping the O.P.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 00:53   #34
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
So....... I say you're wrong and you've just typed all this to agree with me?
So you've got lots of good reasons you were wrong? Great.
You were still wrong.
We all make mistakes and to be honest, I wouldn't have jumped on yours had it not been for your obnoxious and unhelpful comments #18 and #20.

Now we're all clear on that, back to helping the O.P.
Ooo, Mr Sensitive, obnoxious to you maybe, don't ever high horse me, i may just have more tenacity than you can possibly imagine, so don't troll me with your little Sheriffing ways. END OFF.

chipvito, was not my intention to offend wiith my 'cheeky' wee comments in posts 18 and 20, just the latesness of hour and all that jazz so sorry for if i offended you. I trust you read it as fun as i intended.

And there is NO CHARGE for me walking 10 minutes to get my Haynes manual,
and definately no charge for my mis-information perpetuated by your pen mark, your most welcome ! lol

Cheshire? I hear that all the pussies there have a big grin,,, well, most LOL

Last edited by 4candles; Apr 11th, 2015 at 02:07.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 08:37   #35
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

looking at the original imagine it does appear the cam pulley is 20 teeth out. However this would only be the case if when the belt was changed they used there own marks which they have done as its got tipex on. So lining the pulleys up to the tip mark will show its out of time to the volvo marks but it actually isn't.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Apr 11th, 2015 at 09:06.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 08:39   #36
pphilpot
Premier Member

I'm a bit late to this party, but in this video you can see the guy demonstrate being able to look down at the pulley marks (at 6:10) and you'll see the pulley bolts horizontal before he removes them (at 6:35)

YouTube link
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pphilpot For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 08:54   #37
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilpot View Post
I'm a bit late to this party, but in this video you can see the guy demonstrate being able to look down at the pulley marks (at 6:10) and you'll see the pulley bolts horizontal before he removes them (at 6:35)

YouTube link
Good video, however I just don't see the marks, even on the video!

Coffee in going in, and will go and have a look at the car shortly.. Weather not great!
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 08:56   #38
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
So still no further forward as to whether the timming is out or not. If you look down from above you should be able to see the timming marks and if you have lined the cam pulley up the crank should be pretty much there as you only think its skipped a tooth.
Just can't see them at the moment, will be going out shortly to take a look..
Good chance I will be taking it to a garage to be traded/scrapped.. Gutted!
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 10:14   #39
chiptivo
Premier Member

PROGRESS UPDATE...

Hey, I know what the pictures say, but I can not find the indicator on the bottom tooth, either on the tooth itself, or the dip between them..

However after an half hour of head scratching, I can get my finger round the crank pully (aux thing) and I can feel the raised point as pictured (Internet picture)

So, I followede this through to the tooth and I have now correctly set the cam belt. Did a manual crank and all still lines up.

Looking at my pictures I took from yesterday, it appeared that chunk of plastic took my belt out one bottom tooth position out of place. I ran the engine for about 30 seconds yesterday in this position, sounded rough and cylinders did not respond fully when I tapped the accelerator. (Permanent damage done?)

So, the moment of truth, turned her over and all sounds fine, as per normal sounding. Quick throttle tap and responded great. Did not give it any beans as the cam cover is missing and fluid tanks are out of position.

Last question as I find this confusing, the tensioner position, it is currently set as pictured. Ambient Temp is around 8 at the moment, and engine is cold. Would this be acceptable (As pictured).

Will be crapping it when I take her out for a test drive, and as long as I am over half a mile away when it breaks, I can get recovered to a garage.
The Following User Says Thank You to chiptivo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 10:31   #40
pphilpot
Premier Member

If I recall correctly, you are right about the markings – there are no dotted lines engraved, that's just for the illustration to highlight what needs to be lined up.
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pphilpot For This Useful Post: