Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscrean leaking

Views : 1203

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2015, 22:33   #1
zaker

Default Windscrean leaking

Hi, iv noticed recently a small damp patch on the roof lining next to the rear view mirror on my XC60 didnt think to much about it at first but the other day whilst driving in heavy rain it was dripping down quite bad from around the same area ! is this a fairly common fault with these cars ? if so is it curable with some windscreen sealer ?

Thanks in advance
zaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 00:17   #2
Kev78

My car hasn't arrived yet, but I'm concerned at the number of times I've read this already.

Surely Volvo repair this for free? I would expect a windscreen to last the lifetime of the car.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 12:24   #3
zaker

They should fix it for free especially if it is a comon fault, ill certainly give them a call but im not holding my breath. Its difficult to find out where waters coming in because theres nothing obvious to see, its probably a minute hole in the seal somwhere...
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 13:02   #4
wilbydoughboy

There has been a few owners with leaking screens and I am one. This subject has been covered quite frequently. If you push against the inside of the screen whilst standing outside you may see movement at the top of the screen, this is probably where the bonding agent has failed. I managed to stop my leak, hopefully for ever but I was expecting to have a new screen fitted so I didnt mind experimenting with repairs. My car was only just out of warranty and I couldnt believe that with todays modern techniques and space age materials this problem would occur. I would have thought that a recall to check the screens would have been made, due to safety and customer goodwill but no such luck. I would advise you to check underneath your carpet footwells because the water could be collecting there without your knowledge and it can take a good deal of water before it starts showing on the surface.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 22:04   #5
iain cooper

I'm new to the forum, but can recall seeing posts re this fault affecting MY09/10 ?

What year is your car?

Iain
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 15:14   #6
craigv60
Master Member

If anyone is experiencing this problem and their car is out of warranty, the first thing to try is a crack-seeking sealant, as referred to in this thread: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=61059

I've used the Comma Seak & Seal stuff (no longer made, unfortunately, but there is an alternative detailed in the link above) on lots of different cars and it works like a charm.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 17:56   #7
zaker

Mine is a 2011. Just had a quote for £75 for a windscreen company to take out the windscreen and re seal it ! But ill get some a tube of the sealant first to try myself via the link above, thanks for that.

cheers Z
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 09:40   #8
ksb308
I've Been Banned

If the windscreen is the Original windscreen, your Volvo Dealer will change it Free of Charge.

I live in Cheshire, my preferred Dealer is in York. When I told them about it in the service, they could not do it there and then. So a couple of weeks later they came from York to Warrington to pick it up, repaired it, then brought it back.

I dont know how you stand if the windscreen is a repalcement. But if it is an Original then go see your Dealer.
ksb308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 14:23   #9
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksb308 View Post
If the windscreen is the Original windscreen, your Volvo Dealer will change it Free of Charge.

I live in Cheshire, my preferred Dealer is in York. When I told them about it in the service, they could not do it there and then. So a couple of weeks later they came from York to Warrington to pick it up, repaired it, then brought it back.

I dont know how you stand if the windscreen is a repalcement. But if it is an Original then go see your Dealer.
Another 'star' for Ray Chapman in York !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 14:34   #10
zaker

[QUOTE=ksb308;1973272]If the windscreen is the Original windscreen, your Volvo Dealer will change it Free of Charge.

I dont know how you stand if the windscreen is a repalcement. But if it is an Original then go see your Dealer.[Thanks, just rung Volvo Chesterfield and they were very vague about it especially because its out of warranty, saying there is a fitting charge from Autowindscreens last time they did one ! ill give the sealant a go and if it fails to work ill try Volvo again. Very annoying on a 4 year old car ! QUOTE]