Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Creaking central/floating console

Views : 1654

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2015, 19:05   #1
osbourne one-nil

Default Creaking central/floating console

I'm really really sensitive when it comes to rattles and groans. I had a Peugeot once - almost finished me off.

My new XC60 has developed irritating creaking in the floating console after only 1400miles; my old V70 did this too but only after about 40000 miles.

Nothing feels loose and when I apply pressure, nothing obviously moves back into place, but if I press really quite hard just between the gear stick and where the console starts to rise up, it does relieve things for a while. I can feel two screws behind the console which I guess are torx, but don't really want to start fiddling.

Back to the dealer? It was super silent when I got it last month!
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 19:18   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

My S60 can drive me nuts with what sounds like a cable rattling behind the dashboard. It only comes on above 70mph. The dealers have had initial success in removing the front nearside wing and resecuring the cables but it has started again.
I've taped down cables, had the B-pillar trim off and re-torqued the seat belt holder. I have taped down trim but there is still an intermittent rattle from the passenger/nearside dash.
I'm resigned to the fact the car is an early one and Volvo have no interest in fixing it. It's the last time I will buy an early production model from any manufacturer.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 21:47   #3
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil View Post
I'm really really sensitive when it comes to rattles and groans. I had a Peugeot once - almost finished me off.

My new XC60 has developed irritating creaking in the floating console after only 1400miles; my old V70 did this too but only after about 40000 miles.

Nothing feels loose and when I apply pressure, nothing obviously moves back into place, but if I press really quite hard just between the gear stick and where the console starts to rise up, it does relieve things for a while. I can feel two screws behind the console which I guess are torx, but don't really want to start fiddling.

Back to the dealer? It was super silent when I got it last month!

There is a tech sheet dealing with the issue if your dealer searches for it. Should be happy to fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 08:40   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

there is a tj for creaking floating consul reqs removing and stripping done a few very succesfull
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 23:32   #5
osbourne one-nil

Thanks, but tj? I will certainly talk to the dealer about this although as I was stuck in traffic on the M6 today, I shoved two business cards into the slight gap underneath the cup holders and the creaking seems to have gone! Would still rather it got sorted properly though so I can fully enjoy the car again.

I'm also getting an occasional drip from the top of the driver's door - that'll need looking at too. Finally, I seem to get flashed quite often even when I'm on dipped lights. I've taken a look and all seems ok, but still it happens.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 23:54   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Thanks, but tj? I will certainly talk to the dealer about this although as I was stuck in traffic on the M6 today, I shoved two business cards into the slight gap underneath the cup holders and the creaking seems to have gone! Would still rather it got sorted properly though so I can fully enjoy the car again.

I'm also getting an occasional drip from the top of the driver's door - that'll need looking at too. Finally, I seem to get flashed quite often even when I'm on dipped lights. I've taken a look and all seems ok, but still it happens.
Regarding the headlights I had this on both my XC60 which were incorrectly adjusted from the factory and it was difficult convincing Volvo this was the case, though once they got them on the beam setter they saw the issue.

It is a 30 sec job to fix using the white hex screw ontop of the headlight, but you really need to do it on a beam setter - I am assuming you have HID headlights, if you have filament lamps simply use the adjuster wheel beside the steering wheel.

The drip is annoying and I have it occasionally but not often enough to replicate in the dealer.

TJ is technical journal, code for a an official fix from Volvo
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 08:49   #7
osbourne one-nil

Thank you!

I've got the xenon bending lights thingies. They look properly set when I compare them between dip and full beam but I'm definitely getting flashed so I'll maybe use the offer of a 1500 mile courtesy service for them to check.

As for the dripping door, it just seems a design flaw that there's a seal on the door which absorbs water. It is only now and then and I suppose it has been really quite wet. I'll mention it to them though.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 10:49   #8
FrootleBootle

Quote:
My new XC60 has developed irritating creaking in the floating console after only 1400miles;
I noticed that mine creaks from time to time, then I realised that it only creaks when my knee rests against it and I'm turning the wheel. I guess that without realising it I was using my knee to brace myself when steering, when I moved my knee away from the console the noise stopped.

I'm not saying that this is your problem but it's worth checking.
FrootleBootle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 10:53   #9
osbourne one-nil

I certainly noticed that in my previous V70 but in this one I've actually used my knee to improve things sometimes!
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 20:28   #10
osbourne one-nil

Just in case anyone's interested, I finally took the car to the dealer today to take a look. They referred to the technical journal others have mentioned and about two hours later, I got the car back completely creak free.

It really did work!