Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 in Norwegian Fjords - Pics & Storyline...

Views : 15558

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2016, 14:51   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Default XC60 in Norwegian Fjords - Pics & Storyline...

XC60's VEA engine is still performing like a star and the big trip is almost here. Teaser shot of our planned excursion on the Hellesylt - Geiranger ferry along the fjord and then up to Dalsnibba viewpoint high above the village...

Old Jun 26th, 2016, 07:03   #2
Parky12

Sounds good, can you still get the ferry from 'Up North' ?

Been thinking of turning left at the Netherlands next time, though only as far as Denmark before anyone mentions stalking
XC60 15MY 181 SE AWD Savile Grey (previous)
Parky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 08:46   #3
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Journey

Sadly the last ferry that left Newcastle bound direct for Bergen left in 2008. We don't know when the next one will be coming.

So, we are taking the overnight ferry from Newcatsle to IJmuiden, Amsterdam. Then driving to Aarhus in Denmark for an overnight stay. We have most of the following day to explore Aarhus.

Then driving north to catch the 8pm overnight Fjordline ferry from Hirtshals to Bergen, via Stavanger. Disembark at 12:30pm and start the 7hr trip north to Romsdal.

After two weeks we plan to stay in Alesund for a couple of nights, then a short break in Bergen before heading back to Denmark where we will stay for two nights on the 21st floor of the AC Bella Sky in Copenhagen. We will finish off with a night in Abcoude, just outside Amsterdam so we can soak up some canal culture before eventually returning on the DFDS ferry to Newcastle and the relatively short hop back to the serenity of the Scottish Borders.

Most of it could have been avoided if the direct ferry still operated but the British Scandanavian company that keeps promising to start a route in recent years has not delivered. It's such a shame both in time and money. But we have just decided to make the journey part of the holiday.

It should be good. The hytte we have hired for a fortnight sits on the side of a mountain overlooking the fjord and comes with its own boat for fishing etc.

Less than a week now, need to set up the automatic watering system for my greenhouse today other wise everything will be dead by the time we get back.

Regards

Arianne
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 12:04   #4
xsaab
Master Member

How long do you think it will take to get from Ijmuiden to Aarhus, will you break the journey for an overnight stop.

We regret the passing of the Harwich to Esjberg ferry, it was a very pleasant way of avoiding many hours of driving from Calais or Hook of Holland to Denmark
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 20:01   #5
Parky12

I know where to come looking for ideas if we venture that far North in the future

Your tip for the Hotel Gloria above lake Thun was spot on the other week, maybe you should start writing guides as well !
XC60 15MY 181 SE AWD Savile Grey (previous)
Parky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parky12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 19:44   #6
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
How long do you think it will take to get from Ijmuiden to Aarhus, will you break the journey for an overnight stop.

We regret the passing of the Harwich to Esjberg ferry, it was a very pleasant way of avoiding many hours of driving from Calais or Hook of Holland to Denmark
I think about 6-8hrs with stops. We stay overnight in Aarhus, have time to take a look around until about 3pm on the following day (Latin Quarter) and then head north to Hirtshals for the 8pm overnight ferry to Bergen (we have a suite!).

On the way back we are stopping for two nights in Copenhagen. So we will catch the SeaCat from Aarhus to Odden. And then, when we leave Copenhagen, we will catch the ferry south from Rodby into Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky12 View Post
I know where to come looking for ideas if we venture that far North in the future

Your tip for the Hotel Gloria above lake Thun was spot on the other week, maybe you should start writing guides as well !
I am glad you liked the Hotel Gloria. Beatenberg sits in a wonderful position, south facing, high above Lake Thun. We enjoyed natures fireworks from the hotel when there was a massive electric storm over the Alps.

I will check out Norway and then let the 'community' know so that we can share the information for each other. I enjoy doing it too!

Best wishes to all.

Arianne
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 20:20   #7
xsaab
Master Member

Thanks, we enjoyed visiting Aarlborg some rather pretty churches. If you have time Skagen is a pretty place with a rather fine collection of local paintings from the early 1900s, just north of there you can see the junction of the Kattegat and the Skagerrat seas, you can see the waves coming in from two different directions.

Do you book all your Scandinavian ferries ahead or do they run a turn up and go system.
The Following User Says Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 21:44   #8
Arianne
Premier Member

The ferries across the fjords are just turn up and go. But the others we book ahead with flexible tickets, just to be sure.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out on Google.

Arianne
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 10:38   #9
rkennedy

We have just came back from a 6 night stay in Copenhagen. I would not want to drive in central Copenhagen as they are many roadworks with the building of an extension to the metro so a good alternative is to buy the Copenhagen card. This gives you free transport on bus, train, metro and water bus as well as free entry to the many museums, castles and palaces as well as the Tivoli. The transport system is the best I have ever traveled in - it puts the UK to shame.
If you visit Rosenborg Slot (to view the crown jewels) be sure to walk a couple of hundred yards to the Torvehallerne (food market) in Norreport. Also visit Papiroen (Paper Island) for the street food. Both these have websites so you can add these to your research! And go hungry - the stalls are wonderful and great value for money.
Be prepared for an expensive stay (a glass of wine in most restaurants is £10 - nobody buys a bottle!) especially following the latest devaluation since Brexit. We loved it and I am sure you will too.

Last edited by rkennedy; Jun 29th, 2016 at 10:55.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rkennedy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 11:59   #10
xsaab
Master Member

and the restaurants will charge you about £2.50 for a glass of water (or they were doing in 2011)

On a fine night an evening spent in the Tivoli Gardens, you can get a good meal, see the lights, shows, classical music etc and see the Danes enjoying themselves.

The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art which is just south of Helsingør and on the coast is a great place to visit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:

Tags
fjord, norway, xc60