Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Break Issues!!!

Views : 6080

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 14:20   #1
ImpatexCN

Hello, I have a new S40 (2.0 D sport) and 3 weeks ago I went to break coming out of the drive but found the breaks ROCK solid. I rolled forward into the road. A call to Volvo and they booked it in and replaced a valve. Last week it happened again but I waited to call volvo as I was not sure if I was just over-reacting (a mistake!)....Sunday I had the wife and 2 kids in the car....approached a roandabout and found I had no breaks!! Rock solid! It took all my weight on the breaks to slowly stop the car and had to jump up onto the pavement area to avoid hitting the car in front....HOWEVER, this is not an isolated issue.The company I work for bought 6 S40s, and another one (also 2.0D Sport) has had EXACTLY the same issue. Volvo can't seem to find anything wrong, no warning lights come on and after the initial scare the breaks go fine.

It does appear to always be within the first 10 mins of a journey and also when it is cold. My mileage is around 24,000 and the other is 30,000. Had no issues with the car last Christmas though.

Be wary as this could really end up hurting someone!

My car is back with volvo but I have lost faith in how safe it is....especially as I was told it was fixed last time it went in (as was our other company car driver). Had my wife been driving then she would not have had the power to bring the car to a stop and I dont think she would have had enough time to think to use the hand-brake....
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 18:46   #2
Multiplex

What engine is in your Volvo?
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 21:52   #3
7050man
Master Member

if it was a petrol engine, I'd say the brake servo was failing (loss of vacumm and brake servo assistance) but I don't think diesel engined brake assistance works in the same way. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
Certainly the fact that the brake pedal is hard to operate means that there is indeed a lack of assistance as opposed to loss of pressure (fluid leak).
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 17:20   #4
Metblackrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7050man View Post
if it was a petrol engine, I'd say the brake servo was failing (loss of vacumm and brake servo assistance) but I don't think diesel engined brake assistance works in the same way. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
The servo is exhausted by the inlet manifold on a petrol engine but a diesel will not draw enough air to do this so it operates from a small air pump that exhausts the servo.

To see if it is a servo failiure, pump the pedal with the engine turned off. The pedal should go hard and if it feels the same as when you had the brake pedal lock then thats the likely problem.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 18:16   #5
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metblackrat View Post
The servo is exhausted by the inlet manifold on a petrol engine but a diesel will not draw enough air to do this so it operates from a small air pump that exhausts the servo.

To see if it is a servo failiure, pump the pedal with the engine turned off. The pedal should go hard and if it feels the same as when you had the brake pedal lock then thats the likely problem.
Thanks metblackrat, I thought there was a pump in there somewhere, but wasn't sure where or quite why.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7050man For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:10   #6
bircham

Hi ImpatexCN,

I am coming to this thread with interest as I have just spoken to close friends of mine whose 8 month old V50 2.0d S has had exactly the same problem. She was crossing the centre of a dual carriageway where you can stop in the centre before continuing , when the car didn't stop - she accelarted to compensate when the car displayed the 'engine service required' lights and then went into limp home mode - result? - Car with no power, no brakes and in the path of oncoming traffic doing 80 mph.

Anyway the car has been to 2 different volvo dealers a total of 4 times and has been in limp mode with no brke assistance each time afyter visiting the dealers. The computers found no faults - as usual - and she is now going to reject the car.

I feel really bad as they bought the car after seeing my wife's V50 and us recommending the V50!

Any thoughts would be really appreciated,

Oh yes, irony is that her father has just been appointed the German ambassador to Sweden!

Jon
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:28   #7
cnim

I have a 2007 model year S40 2.0 diesel SE and am also having serious brake issues. The pedal goes rock hard and i only just avoided a crah the other day. It only seems to happen after the car has been sat overnight or all day at work. I have also had it go to a sort of limp home mode twice now, though no warning messages come up.

To sort the brakes out i have to stop and pump the pedal a lot, and for the limp home i have to stop and seriously rev the engine to clear it.

The car has been in to my local volvo dealer but they found nothing. It is going in again next week, so hopefully they will find the problem.

I love my S40 and have really enjoyed driving it. It is a real shame that now i have lost all confidence in it. If it is not fixed this time i will have to reject it with the finance company and go elsewhere.

Is there anything i can say or point out to the service department at my local garage to help resolve the issue, bearing in mind that i am very much not a mechanic.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 19:35   #8
garydavis

i have a volvo v50 2005 2.0 disel and had exactly the same problem ,a very hard brake pedal with no braking at all. very scary.
the problem is intermittent 5 times in the last 6 months since i bought the car,happened to me the first time today the other times with my wife driving.
i can't see them fixing it.

gary
garydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:29   #9
Willow

The main common factor I can see is that the problems so far reported are with diesels. The only reports I can find on the US forums are also Europeans with diesels.

The S40 pdf on brakes says: "The power brake booster (servo) is single acting and has an integrated mechanical function for Emergency Brake Assist (EBA). The power brake booster is connected to the engine's intake manifold and to a vacuum pump. Cars with gasoline engines have an electrical pump, while diesel engined cars have a mechanical pump."

Maybe its something to do with the mechanical pump?
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 14:22   #10
cnim

My car has just been in about this issue and they think it is a vacuum pump...i think. They are still not taking it very seriously though as they want me to collect it until the parts arrive which could take a week.

So much for safety being at the forefront of Volvo thinking...if i crash into someone, can i sue?