Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pre-heating

Views : 3904

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2020, 08:34   #1
Hunter303

Default Pre-heating

Hi

I just thought I’d share something in the hope it might help others as I’m sure I’ve seen the question come up here whilst trying to find an answer.

I seemed unable to pre-heat the cabin of my MY20 XC60. Was getting confused with the terminology “preconditioning” and “parking climate” and couldn’t make sense of it. Running diagnostics on the VOC app showed preconditioning to be available, but Volvo customer support confirmed this is an error as this is only available on plug-in hybrid models (which mine isn’t) despite the app incorrectly reporting it’s a thing.

Whenever I tried to start “parking climate” from the VOC app it would always appear as though it’s starting, but I’d then get a message saying “issue encountered” and the cabin was stone cold upon entry.

However the fix is, seems really simple when I think about it, is that I need to simply remote start the engine THEN remote start parking climate, and hooray it works.

Volvo support said you shouldn’t have to start the engine first - great in theory, but it doesn’t work that way for me.

Anyway just thought I’d share in the hope it helps. The dealership I later spoke to also confirmed Volvo are working on a software update re the Sensus rebooting issue / DAB, and he thought they’d issue a recall once fixed as there have been so many reports of it.

Have a good Christmas all.
Hunter303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 08:41   #2
Tresco85

If you remote start the car why do you need to start the parking climate as well as the car should heat up and the seats will come on if programmed to.
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 08:54   #3
Hunter303

That wasn’t happening for me; remote start of the engine worked and that would make the seats warm up, but the fans / heater wouldn’t come on so it was cold inside.
Hunter303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 08:56   #4
Wabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter303 View Post
That wasn’t happening for me; remote start of the engine worked and that would make the seats warm up, but the fans / heater wouldn’t come on so it was cold inside.
I will try this this morning 👍👍
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 09:03   #5
Tresco85

Quote:
I don’t think the fans would come on anyway when the car is cold as it waits to heat up a bit before the fans will come on.
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 06:37   #6
vxf

Quote:
Hi

I just thought I’d share something in the hope it might help others as I’m sure I’ve seen the question come up here whilst trying to find an answer.

I seemed unable to pre-heat the cabin of my MY20 XC60. Was getting confused with the terminology “preconditioning” and “parking climate” and couldn’t make sense of it. Running diagnostics on the VOC app showed preconditioning to be available, but Volvo customer support confirmed this is an error as this is only available on plug-in hybrid models (which mine isn’t) despite the app incorrectly reporting it’s a thing.

Whenever I tried to start “parking climate” from the VOC app it would always appear as though it’s starting, but I’d then get a message saying “issue encountered” and the cabin was stone cold upon entry.

However the fix is, seems really simple when I think about it, is that I need to simply remote start the engine THEN remote start parking climate, and hooray it works.

Volvo support said you shouldn’t have to start the engine first - great in theory, but it doesn’t work that way for me.

Anyway just thought I’d share in the hope it helps. The dealership I later spoke to also confirmed Volvo are working on a software update re the Sensus rebooting issue / DAB, and he thought they’d issue a recall once fixed as there have been so many reports of it.

Have a good Christmas all.
My understanding is that parking climate only works on T8s, and only when plugged. Or, at least, that is the case for my car.

Remote start does, eventually, warm up the car. But the heating does not come on immediately. I have lived in some cold places... and used it a lot. It takes a couple of minutes to start warming things up.

Now that I think about it... there are some options about climate when remote starting... but I think those are just about the heated wheel and heated seats. I don't think there is a temperature setting there. But you might want to double-check.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 07:48   #7
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
My understanding is that parking climate only works on T8s, and only when plugged. Or, at least, that is the case for my car.
I understand that US (and other?) model T8s have an electric preheater, hence why it will only work plugged in. UK and European T8 models have a fuel (gasoline) fired auxiliary heater, which works plugged or unplugged
D76
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 09:41   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
UK and European T8 models have a fuel (gasoline) fired auxiliary heater, which works plugged or unplugged
The auxiliary fuel heater was also an option on all SPA XC90s for the first 2 or 3 model years. I have it on my D5 and consider it a 'must have' now.
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 23:29   #9
vinthop

Hi
I have similar problem of remote starting; cannot warm up heater, on the D4 2018 Inscription pro xc60, tried setting the parking climate, but will have to use your methode to ascertain, I will try this out in the day time..
Thanks
Vinod
vinthop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 00:22   #10
Metr0man

Unhappy Parking Climate Service

I have a 2016 XC90 T8 Inscription and have been regularly activating Parking Climate through the VOC app on recent cold mornings. Lovely to get into a warm car with hot seats and steering wheel. Car is plugged in. Recently I scheduled a mon-fri timer to remote start it and now it has stopped working. I get an error msg Parking Climate Service required. Worried about potential cost of this. The last problem I had, was with the battery charging unit not working. I thought it would be just a fuse but it cost me Ł2600 for a new unit. The service centre don’t fill me with confidence. They couldn’t advise what the likely cause of this new error might be as they had never heard of it before and “ needed to plug it into the diagnostics to see what came up and what the repair route was “. I’m guessing it’ll be a “new unit “. again but hoping it’s a software reboot or something. Anyone any ideas .?
Metr0man is offline   Reply With Quote