Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 central locking problem

Views : 18039

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:46   #1
stevejeffries

Unhappy S40 central locking problem

Sorry if this problem has been covered in previous posts, but:

I have a 2000 S40.

When the central locking is operated from the key fob all doors appear to lock. Problem is that although the drivers door looks as if it is locked (button oon inside of door is down) the door remains unlocked and can be opened by lifting the exterior handle. When central locking is released from the key fob the button on the drivers door remains in the closed position, but, door is still unlocked. **when locking is locked from key fob the deadlocks set on the other 3 doors. If the drivers door is opened without ulocking from the key fob the alarm activates, as it should**

Is this a simple case of removing the door card and spraying inside the door with WD40?

Desperate for help as I can't lock the drivers door.

Steve
stevejeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 13:05   #2
Enigma666
Master Member

It sounds like the arm to the lock itself is disconnected somehow rather than sticking.
There are 2 arms i believe on the locking mechanism.
One controls the lock itself, the other controls the pin.
If the locking arm has disconnected somehow then it could well be that,
Just drop the door card off and check for any loose bars of metal.
'Should' be pretty straight forward repair
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 13:08   #3
stevejeffries

Tks for the info

I have removed four screws that hold the door card, are there any more? or is it also held in place by clips. Once I have removed the four screws should I just 'ease' the door card off?
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 13:12   #4
Enigma666
Master Member

Right,
the door card has at least 4 scews, also the door handle itself and the electirc window switches have screws underneath them.
Remove all the screws, then ease the bottom part away from the clips holding it firmly to the door, from there life it gently over the door pin and voila....one door panel
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 13:14   #5
stevejeffries

Tks for that, I'll give it a go now - pity it's raining here in Dover.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 14:01   #6
stevejeffries

Just managed a quick fix for today (WD40), will do again tomorrow with a proper grease. I removed a total of 6 screws, including one behind interior door handle and one under electric window switch. This gave me enough room to work behind the panel in the area of the pin. To completely remove the door card I think there may be another screw behind the speaker grill. Will let you know tomorrow.

Steve
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 14:29   #7
Enigma666
Master Member

Nope, nothing behind the grill, i've taken numerous ones off at the breakers....its just the clips which hold them.
Other than the hidden ones behind the door handle and switch the others are obvious.
Glad to hear it was such a simple fix though...got the exact opposite problem on my rear door, door locks and the pin goes down but wont come back up again so the whole dorr remains locked
WD40 and a brolly here I come
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 12:09   #8
cagkan

Default Back Door locking Problem

Hi,

Because of back door locking problem i want to remove door panel. But how do i uninstall window handle? It is avoid to remove door panel. I have S40 2002.

Thanx in advance for helping
cagkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 12:55   #9
iansharp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejeffries View Post
Sorry if this problem has been covered in previous posts, but:

I have a 2000 S40.

When the central locking is operated from the key fob all doors appear to lock. Problem is that although the drivers door looks as if it is locked (button oon inside of door is down) the door remains unlocked and can be opened by lifting the exterior handle. When central locking is released from the key fob the button on the drivers door remains in the closed position, but, door is still unlocked. **when locking is locked from key fob the deadlocks set on the other 3 doors. If the drivers door is opened without ulocking from the key fob the alarm activates, as it should**

Is this a simple case of removing the door card and spraying inside the door with WD40?

Desperate for help as I can't lock the drivers door.

Steve
Hi Steve i have exactly the same problem ! Did you manage to fix it ?
Any help / Info would be appreciated. Ian
iansharp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 23:16   #10
RammyS40

Hi

I had this problem a few weeks ago, the button staying down and just the drivers door not being locked when using the fob. Tried locking door using the key and when I unlocked with the key the button popped back up and it now locks properly when using the fob. I might have been lucky but it's worth a try before stripping the door.
RammyS40 is offline   Reply With Quote