Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 C70 T5. OBD Code PO103 & PO243

Views : 3942

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 13:17   #1
g5sco

Default 1998 C70 T5. OBD Code PO103 & PO243

Hi all

Hope someone can help here. This is my first post.

After warning light on dash the other day, local garage obtained the follwoing codes: PO103 and PO243. They gave me multiple possible causes.

The codes were deleted, and although the light has not come back on I was accelerating the other day and lost all power with a jolt and then the power came back with a jolt.

Has anyone got any ideas? Has anyone experienced the same.

Thanks
g5sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 13:24   #2
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

P0103 relates to the MAF sensor, and a faulty MAF will produce loss of power/jerky acceleration.

When you lost all power did you back off the throttle then try and accelerate again and that was when it cleared? Where did it happen, about 3,000RPM? Try and accelerate and the car "splutters" or "coughs" then goes properly again? If so then I would say MAF. I've had it on both a VW Passat (which are notorious for MAF failures) and on my C70.

If it is the MAF, do NOT buy a "pattern" or copy part, you need a genuine Bosch unit.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 14:40   #3
g5sco

Not sure on the revs. Would have been 2nd or 3rd gear coming out of roundabout accelerating up a hill.

It happened so quick, I may have still had foot on accelerator lifting off slightly. Did not accelerate until power came back.

I was also concerned as I have been reading various postings regarding ETS failures and ehrn Volvo appeared on BBC Watchdog in 2006.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 14:48   #4
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Everyone rushes to blame the ETM, but they are not automatically the cause of everything, despite what certain members of this forum seem to think. The symptoms you describe can be a lot of things, but they match the exact problems as far as I can tell that a MAF has caused previously, additionally a specific code has been thrown that relates to the MAF.

Has this happened just the once? If it is happening regularly, disconnect the MAF and see if it goes away, you can drive with it disconnected (not for a long time, but enough to test it).

Also, before you blame the ETM, have you actually checked to see if it's been changed/cleaned etc? If not, then do so. A Volvo maindealer should be able to tell you, but you can check yourself by looking to see what colour Magnetti Marelli sticker is on the unit. White = original, yellow = replacement. Additionally, there are cars on here with approaching 200,000 miles which have not suffered any ETM problems at all.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 15:09   #5
g5sco

Thanks for the advice. Currently no warning lights or loss of power. Long drive to Scotland tomorrow so will see what happens.

Will look into the cleaning etc. If it happens again will probably look to replace.

Once again thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 13:17   #6
ian_w

The P0243 is 'Turbo / Supercharger Wastegate Solenoid A'. This would explain you sudden loss in performance. The turbo wastegate is set-up in such a way that it nominally runs a very low boost pressure. The Wastegate solenoid bleeds the manifold pressure signal back to the airbox to increase the boost pressure. If the EMS sensed a wastegate solenoid fault it would de-activate the solenoid which would give you a sudden drop in boost pressure.

The wastegate solenoid is a small valve about 1" cube and has 3 small ( 4-5mm ) pipes to it. As I remember it is located near the airbox, if not actually attached to the side of it.

The P0103 is a 'Mass Air Flow Circuit High Input' - this is more than likely a wiring problem rather than an issue with the sensor itself. Sensor faults tend to give 'fuel system trim' fault codes - I think I got P1171 codes when my MAF failed.

As the wastegate solenoid and the MAF are physically very close together on the car then they may well share a common power/ground feed. I'd give the wiring a good check over to see if there any nicks or breaks.

By the way - The On Board Diagnostic ( OBD ) system works in the following way: Each time a fault is detected it will record a 'pending' fault code ( which is viewable with the diagnostic tool ). If you get the same fault on 2 consequtive 'trips' then the dashboard ( MIL ) light is turned on. After a pre-determined number of 'trips' without a fault ( around 50 ) the pending code will be deleted. A 'trip' is defined as the engine being started from a cold condition and reaching normal temperature, so a 'trip' is not necessarily just an igntion-on engine start event. So, just because the light isn't on doesn't mean the fault has been fixed - particularly if it is imtermittent.

Last edited by ian_w; Mar 21st, 2008 at 13:31.
ian_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 22:24   #7
GALACTUS5

Default P0103 problem

I have this code and have replaced my MAF sensor twice it also has the solenoid waste gate code, I replaced the solenoid and my Volvo still has the same problem p0103 I have looked at all the vacuum lines and have performed vacuum test to see if there were any leaks none found. i sprayed my intake manifold to check for leaks (careful on this may start fire) none found I have looked at a lot of forums and have not seen a clear answer to this surely there has to be a fix, after all these years I have a 1998 S70 t5, has any one solved this problem ?
GALACTUS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:02   #8
Enigma666
Master Member

I had the exact same issues up until last night on the same car.
I fitted a 2nd hand MAF and took it for a spin, seems purrrrfect now, no judder on acceleration, just smooth boosting.

Seriously it is the MAF (or I suppose it could be the wiring to the MAF of course).
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 19:32   #9
GALACTUS5

Hey thanks let me know in a few days if your Volvo is still running good I'm going to check the wiring from the controller to the MAF connector will check in later. thanks.
G5.
GALACTUS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 17:43   #10
Enigma666
Master Member

Car is still running great, no hesitation, no codes....installed a RICA310 yesterday so now it's even better lol
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote