Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cambelts on 240GLT

Views : 1506

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 15:36   #1
LaPetiteBrocante
240GLT owner

Red face Cambelts on 240GLT

I was just reading another thread and cambelt failure was mentioned; I think in relation to a 240.
Excuse my ignorance but can anyone tell me if my engine is regarded as a 'safe' one if the cambelt breaks. In 15 years of owning Volvo 240s, present one for 10 years, I didn't realise this fact, if it's so.
I have a 1988 240GLT 2.3 Estate. I know it's not fuel injection so am assuming it's the other 2.3 engine. Thanks
LaPetiteBrocante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 15:52   #2
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default cam belt

If there is any doubt as to when your belt is last changed get it done. The chances are if it breaks it will cause damage

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 16:07   #3
2.4TSE
Master Member

Default B23 is a non interference engine

Typing "Is the Volvo B23 an interference engine?" into Google returned the answer "No" per http://www.volvoclubofbc.com/technical/tech2005.html

An "interference" engine is one where pistons and valves meet if the timing mechanism fails whereas a "non interference" engine is one where they don't and the engine will just windmill to a halt. Your B23 engine is one of the latter, as was my father's pushrod B19 engine in his 144S on which the teeth stripped off the fibre camshaft drive many years ago; we simply coasted to a halt on the hard shoulder of a motorway. After a new camdrive was fitted (not on the hard shoulder!), the engine was fine.

If a cambelt is going to fail, on most engines it happens on startup when the loading on them is greatest, but I still wouldn't want to take the chance of failure at a more crucial moment such as on the wrong side of the road during an overtaking manoeuvre; if I didn't know when the belt of any car I own was last changed I would change it anyway.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 16:26   #4
LaPetiteBrocante
240GLT owner

Default cambelts

Many thanks for the replies. I had a cam belt failure about 15 years ago on my previous 240 (1983 2.0), it went in third gear about 25mph and was fixed just with a new belt, timing etc.
My current Volvo is languishing, sadly, in the shed at the back of my house here in France (sad picture on my profile... but it still looks good doesn't it, even after sitting there collecting dust and bird droppings for the past 18 months) but I'm hoping to trace some LHD headlights pretty soon and get it back on the road here.
I had the belt changed about 4 years ago and have only covered about 8,000 miles since but I think I'll get it replaced again before it goes back into service.
LaPetiteBrocante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 17:24   #5
Velorum
VOC Member

I would have thought that your GLT has a B230 engine which I have always thought was an interference engine - checking through numerous old threads on the forum re this it would appear that there is some disagreement as to whether this is the case. (Earlier ones arent, later ones are?)

As Mike Brace has said before when this subject has arisen, even if an interference engine breaks a belt it may well not be 'game over' as all that may be required is a valve replacement.

Regardless of what ever the advice given is I would proceed on the basis that its an interference engine and make sure that the belt is changed every 40K or so or no longer than 2 years. Better safe than sorry. (Some leave them longer)

Oh, by the way, Ive just looked at the picture on your profile - nice looking GLT!

Cheers
Ian
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 20:47   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I'd change it anyway. It's cheap and easy.

When you do change it, take the opportunity of testing by hand while the belt is off and then you will KNOW for future reference whether yours is an interference engine or not.
Clifford Pope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:22   #7
morsing
Premier Member

Your GLT should have the B230E which as far as I know is interference. However, you say it's not fuel injection, which if correct, means the engine must have been replaced. Are you sure it's not fuel injected?
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 11:15   #8
malb

My understanding is that the 2 digit motors B21/23 are non interference, but the 3 digit series motors B200/230 etc are interference. But some people claim to have had a B230 survive a belt failure without damage beyond the belt.

malb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 22:53   #9
Suterman
240 Turbo

here is the truth.

Its the head and pistons that are of concern here.

most b230e/et/f/ft engines are fitted with 530 or 531 heads, these are all non interference.

some b230e and all b230k (carb) engines have the 631 (heron) head, these are interference.

all 16 valve engines are interference.

To be sure what head you have, look on the side of the head above the exhaust manifold, the cast number is there.
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote