Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

?Immobiliser erratic?

Views : 9909

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:40   #1
bizzylizzy

Unhappy ?Immobiliser erratic?

Has anyone experienced similar problem. For weeks ignition key starts up brilliantly from first start, warm start, long interval etc. ok.
Then for no reason one day it just refuses to fire or make any attempt to fire. After using fob to lock and unlock doors from inside car sometimes will then start. Other times need to open and close door as well. Somnetimes this works sometimes it just decides to fire up like a good un aftyer about 7 attempts.
I know it will start eventually but when you have just 'nipped in' somewhere and dived back into your car which then refuses to perform you feel daft or worse still worried if the traffic warden is on the horizon !

This problem seems to go on for a few weeks then disappears as suddenly as it came. Have tried using 3 different keys but same problem on all three.

Thanks for any help. Would be really appreciated.
bizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 17:39   #2
ocean238

which version do you drive? one with ultrasonic sensors in the car or not? I am not sure if it's standard on the SE hence thought i would ask

Times it doesn't start, does it turn over at all?

ex: C70 2.4T 2000

ex: S70 2.5 10V 1997
ocean238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 19:13   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

firstly The immobiliser on the ignition key is not connected in any way to the remote locking ...
Secondly as you have tried all the keys that leaves the car ... The first thing i would do is fit a new antenna ring around the ignition lock easy and fairly cheap .. see how that goes ..
Secondly you can get repair wires to replace the female terminals in the immobiliser control unit plug socket .. There is sometimes a problem with the connections there .. Both those jobs done at the same time is most likely to fix it . reading the codes would be a guide too .
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 19:59   #4
striderwilson

TBH I think your activity in locking / unlocking / opening / closing the door is a bit of a red herring.
Sounds like there is an intermittant problem with the fuel delivery - assuming it turns over, which could be down to the immobiliser (antenna ring most likely as Clan said) or the unit terminals (again as Clan said).
Or it could be the fuel injection relay - a dry soldered joint will give an intermittent fault and the fuel will simply not feed to the engine. Best way to test this is to wait untill the problem re-occours then switch the ignition on so all the dash lights come on and wait a couple of seconds listening for a 'tick' from behind the dash. If you hear a tick - that should be the relay working as it should. No click and the relay is probably faulty.
If it is the relay, get a Haynes manual, pull the relay out of the car, open it up, find a 'dry' soldered joint or a cracked joint, and solder it back up (remember to use a heat sink near to any components).
At least with the fuel relay you can 'test' it before you spend any time or money by using the 'tick' check.
James

Last edited by striderwilson; Aug 28th, 2008 at 20:11.
striderwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 22:35   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

This thread may help:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=anntena+ring
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 17:37   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Had the same problem with SWMBO's S70. Try putting the key in the other way up - works every time for us!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 14:04   #7
RG_Toad

I read this in another thread and a lot of people say it worked for them.

Use the key fob to lock/unlock the car five times in a row, then try starting it again.

If that doesnt work, use the key to lock/unlock the car five times in a row, etc.

One other theory was that if you have a transmitted - FM thing for your iPod or a wireless router, etc - nearby, you should unplug it and see if that makes a difference.

I started using an FM transmiter for my iPod and later that day ended up stranded in the middle of town. I had the car recovered and looked at by Volvo at great cost, who told me they couldnt find a fault as by the time they got around to looking at it, it started fine.

Hope that helps...
RG_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 14:26   #8
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG_Toad View Post
I read this in another thread and a lot of people say it worked for them.

Use the key fob to lock/unlock the car five times in a row, then try starting it again.

If that doesnt work, use the key to lock/unlock the car five times in a row, etc.

One other theory was that if you have a transmitted - FM thing for your iPod or a wireless router, etc - nearby, you should unplug it and see if that makes a difference.

I started using an FM transmiter for my iPod and later that day ended up stranded in the middle of town. I had the car recovered and looked at by Volvo at great cost, who told me they couldnt find a fault as by the time they got around to looking at it, it started fine.

Hope that helps...

NON VOLVO but the pricipal remains the same ..... The Range Rover has a very similar "fault" most "remotes" work on 433 Mgh..... Unfortunatly so do

Wireless Internet
Wireless Door Bells
Remote Control Cars/Boats/Planes
Wireless Weather Stations

In fact almost EVERYTHING thats "wireless" in the UK .....

it doesn't effect Volvo's as bad as they do not have a "Self Diagostic" cycle which Range Rovers do ..... With R/R's if you park up & lock up it takes 15 to "Go to Sleep" (Checking Various things) then Grannie Dryden next door gets a "Visitor" who rings the door bell the R/R wakes up & goes thru its "Checks" again .....

I have known a Brand new Battery go completely dead within 3 days from a "Wireless Internet" connection from 3 doors away !!!!! the only way to "Cure" them is too snip off the RF aerial in the rear side boot space (restricting its "Pick up" area) .....

NON VOLVO I know .. but very interesting to know about !!!#

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 17:16   #9
RG_Toad

If the ignition lights come on, the radio works and the blowers go, but all you get is a click when you try to crank the engine, then it's probably either the wiring to your starter motor that's coroded (check the contacts) or the starter motor itself.

With mine, the immobiliser warning was coming on, making me thing it was a fault with the wiring, aerial, my router, etc. Apparently the immobiliser warning only comes on after you've tried cranking a few times, as the car thinks someone is trying to nick it.

Try giving the starter motor a sharp tap while someone is turning the ignition. With the above symptoms I tried this and after a few whacks it fired up.

Between now and getting it replaced, I've added a small hammer to my tool kit...
RG_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote