Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 340 1.4 Engine Problem

Views : 4688

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 14:51   #1
Paula

Question Volvo 340 1.4 Engine Problem

Hi everyone,

Last year I sold my 1989 ( G reg ) red Volvo 340 1.4.

It's a base model with two doors and is a hatchback.

It has 5 gears and the heated seats.

It is now a three owner car ( including me ) and is still in mint condition....

I bought it in 2001 and it provided stalwart service.......

I really miss it now and regret selling her .........

Despite what Jeremy Clarkson says, it is a great car, very reliable and strong and how many 1989 cars do you see running around still?

Yep Volvo 340/360's ........ and one or two other makes.

The guy who bought it from me followed his partner's car down the M4 at 80-85 mph in 5th and probably as a result the head gasket blew.

I never cruised at more than 70-75mph on Motorways knowing that Head Gasket failure can be a problem with the Renault/Volvo 1.4 litre engine.

The car has now covered 105,000 miles and it never missed a beat during my 35K ownership.

The new owner topped up the radiator when it blew water out and then foolishly used the car again before having it checked out.

Of course, more water spewed out and as a result the head gasket failed totally.

A mechanic friend of mine checked out the car by removing the head and said that labour fixing the problem would be uneconomic and advised an exchange replacement mill.

He also thought that the car had been pushed whilst in gear after the head had been removed by him ( the mechanic came back a second time ) and as a result the pistons were in a different place and this ( he said ) could have done further damage to the engine.

I am considering buying the car back from the guy I sold it to BUT do any of you know of a very good condition 1.4 litre engine around that can be dropped in the old engine's place.

All the other bits of the engine and accessories are fine BUT it will need a replacement radiator.

I look forward to replies........

Take care

Paula

Last edited by Paula; Oct 5th, 2008 at 15:29.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 16:43   #2
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Give foggyjames or chris_c a shout James is the 300 register keeper and Chris has a little collection too, if anyone knows where parts are it will include them. Both are Forum Support Team so names are in purple.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 16:50   #3
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Think Foggyjames is breaking one now
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 00:08   #4
Paula

Smile

Hi Cumbrianmale & S60Driver,

Thank you for your quick replies....

I will try & contact these two people that you mentioned.

Take care

Nitey nite

Paula
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:41   #5
Chris_C
Gopher

If the car has been pushed when the head is off, it will have disturbed the liners. I've never had to deal with this, but have always been told it's a Bad Thing (tm). 1.4 isn't a difficult engine to have in and out, finding one shouldn't be that hard, as a load of 340's are being bought by drifters wanting something more powerful. Radiators the same, late 1.4's share with 1.7's, and are fairly common, used to be about 60 quid from GSF but not sure if they still are.

If the liners havn't been disturbed, then for the cost I'd get the head skimmed and see what happens with a new HG. However, I don't mind having a car that doesn't work, if you want the simple solution that could well be dropping in a "new" engine.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:21   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Swapping a complete engine is pretty easy on these cars, and that's exactly what I'd do. I'm not aware of any 1.4s being broken at present, but try speaking to breakers yards and again, watch eBay. I do have a 1.4 sat here, but it's an early version, which complicates things, and it's already spoken for. I'll keep my eyes peeled...

Watch eBay for cheap radiators, but make sure it's a later 'full width' version. I managed to get one for £28 shipped a while ago!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 00:24   #7
Paula

Smile

Hi Chris,

Yes I remember now what my mechanic pal said about the liners being disturbed .......

I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks for your message......

Nite

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_C View Post
If the car has been pushed when the head is off, it will have disturbed the liners. I've never had to deal with this, but have always been told it's a Bad Thing (tm). 1.4 isn't a difficult engine to have in and out, finding one shouldn't be that hard, as a load of 340's are being bought by drifters wanting something more powerful. Radiators the same, late 1.4's share with 1.7's, and are fairly common, used to be about 60 quid from GSF but not sure if they still are.

If the liners havn't been disturbed, then for the cost I'd get the head skimmed and see what happens with a new HG. However, I don't mind having a car that doesn't work, if you want the simple solution that could well be dropping in a "new" engine.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 00:26   #8
Paula

Hiya James,

Thanks for your advice hun.

Nitey nite

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Swapping a complete engine is pretty easy on these cars, and that's exactly what I'd do. I'm not aware of any 1.4s being broken at present, but try speaking to breakers yards and again, watch eBay. I do have a 1.4 sat here, but it's an early version, which complicates things, and it's already spoken for. I'll keep my eyes peeled...

Watch eBay for cheap radiators, but make sure it's a later 'full width' version. I managed to get one for £28 shipped a while ago!

cheers

James
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:30   #9
Seeker_UK

If you're attached to the car then do it but, to be honest, once you've sourced the engine and rad and paid for it to be fitted, it would probably be no cheaper than buying a really good one from e-bay or Autotrader and flogging your old one for bits.

Look out for a late 1.7 or a "redline".....
Seeker_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 09:23   #10
Chris_C
Gopher

Good ones are easily £700 now unless you get a lucky bargain (small ads do still have them). If this shell isn't rusty, you have a winner. Bonnets can be replaced, the sills are a pain to do and are guaranteed to go at some point if they havn't already. If they've been bodge welded..

Does seem like the 99p bids on ebay returning a good car are gone
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote