Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fog light install

Views : 6930

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:04   #11
leemovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody-som View Post
Well my dealer told me my Ph2 V40D couldn't have them fitted when I asked, as the air filter was in the way. I bought the lights, and fitted them myself, and used a hella wireless remote to switch them on. worked out cheaper than going to the dealer for the software afterwards, but the wiring is there if you're interested.
I've bought the lights and installed them. The CEM doesn't know to send power to the lights even I installed the button supplied in the kit. Could you tell me more about your wireless remote? How did you wire the lights to wireless remote?
Thanks.
leemovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:28   #12
lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
I would think you will be looking at £35-45 for the dealer to activate the fogs lights.
Why should we have to pay for what is essentially a basic safety feature?

After all, Volvo pride themselves in being one of the safest cars on the road.

Surely if the wiring is there, and you fit the lights and necessary switches, it should work?

Absolute rip off if you ask my opinion. I wouldn't pay to get it done.
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:26   #13
Dandle
Master Member

Why is a fog light a safety feature, Its an optional extra you want fitted. Alot of people use them when its not foggy so are the exact opposite of a safety feature. They are more of a visual thing these days to make the cars bumper appear more sporty.

Cars don't work the same as they used to with a switch, wiring, fuse and lamp to be all thats required. As your car was ordered without fog lights the car has to now be told they are fitted for them to work. I would imagine its the CEM needs to be programmed but im not sure on that.

TBH although i turned mine on in the fog they are next to useless anyway and you look **** with them on all the time. Have you thought about just leaving them fitted in the bumper and not activating them.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 16:22   #14
lefty

Their design purpose is to help you to see and (more importantly) be seen when thick fog is around, is it not? Therefore I see them as a safety feature.

Is it not illegal to use fog lights when not required? (Correct me if I'm wrong) Dazzling other road users is dangerous.

As for the car being 'told' they are there, I believe it is done this way just so the main stealer can make money out of you. That's the trouble nowadays, everybody is greedy and wants more all the time. Cars are no longer user friendly and far more complicated than they need to be.

What was wrong with the old way of using a light, a switch, a relay and fuse?

Just my opinion.

Last edited by lefty; Jun 11th, 2009 at 16:24.
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 16:56   #15
Dandle
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Their design purpose is to help you to see and (more importantly) be seen when thick fog is around, is it not? Therefore I see them as a safety feature.

Is it not illegal to use fog lights when not required? (Correct me if I'm wrong) Dazzling other road users is dangerous.
Thats the idea but in reality they are next to useless(from my experience of several cars with front fogs) which is why they arent a requirement for an MOT. The law, as presented by The Highway Code, states that front and rear fog lights must not be used unless visibility is seriously reduced - which generally means when you cannot see further than 100 metres (328 feet) - and that they must be switched off once the visibility improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
As for the car being 'told' they are there, I believe it is done this way just so the main stealer can make money out of you. That's the trouble nowadays, everybody is greedy and wants more all the time. Cars are no longer user friendly and far more complicated than they need to be.

What was wrong with the old way of using a light, a switch, a relay and fuse?

Just my opinion.
Its not really to do with dealers making money as they do very little retro fits of this kind. It means one electrical system can do many things and control the electronics in different ways for different markets requirements without making the build over complicated. It does stuff up the home diyer though i agree.

Last edited by Dandle; Jun 11th, 2009 at 16:59.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 22:22   #16
woody-som

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemovie View Post
I've bought the lights and installed them. The CEM doesn't know to send power to the lights even I installed the button supplied in the kit. Could you tell me more about your wireless remote? How did you wire the lights to wireless remote?
Thanks.
I found on ebay a remote, switching system. Basically its a remote fob, which I've stuck inside the car to the dash, and under the bonnet is a receiver that you wired to the battery and the other end will power whatever is connected that end, and I cut the connector plugs off the car wiring harness and joined that to the lights and the hella receiver output cables.

As you have the switch in the dash, another option would be to run a power cable from a live source, and fit a relay under the bonnet to power your fog lights, bypassing the cars computer, but if a dealer only wants £35 to program the car, I think I'd pay that, just my dealer said it wasn't possible to fit the fogs, and i couldn't return to get the car programmed once I fitted them myself.
woody-som is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 03:52   #17
leemovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody-som View Post
I found on ebay a remote, switching system. Basically its a remote fob, which I've stuck inside the car to the dash, and under the bonnet is a receiver that you wired to the battery and the other end will power whatever is connected that end, and I cut the connector plugs off the car wiring harness and joined that to the lights and the hella receiver output cables.

As you have the switch in the dash, another option would be to run a power cable from a live source, and fit a relay under the bonnet to power your fog lights, bypassing the cars computer, but if a dealer only wants £35 to program the car, I think I'd pay that, just my dealer said it wasn't possible to fit the fogs, and i couldn't return to get the car programmed once I fitted them myself.
I convinced the dealer to do it for free, but they didn't know how to activate the fog lights. I found the solution online myself and showed it to them. I worked with a mechanic and activated the lights in VIDA. Only cost is the tips I left to the mechanic.
leemovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 22:01   #18
Wattsys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemovie View Post
I convinced the dealer to do it for free, but they didn't know how to activate the fog lights. I found the solution online myself and showed it to them. I worked with a mechanic and activated the lights in VIDA. Only cost is the tips I left to the mechanic.
Can you show me the solution you ound online?! This had been a headache for me for ages! I have installed the lights, new switch and relay, and nothing. Not even rears working! If you could show me that would be amazing!
Wattsys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2016, 15:17   #19
Backe

I have S40 1998 and i would like to fit and make work front fog lights. I have bought the lights and the switch for it. I know that i need wires and a relay but what i really have to do to make those lights work. Were i have to put the wires etc. I took the switch from another s40 which had front fogs on it. It would be nice that i can operate those lights with that original switch. I don't have a CEM on my car.
Backe is offline   Reply With Quote