Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Over Filled Oil ?

Views : 5500

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2009, 11:36   #1
jposner

Default Over Filled Oil ?

Hi there, i've just bought a 3nd hand D5 MY07 185bhp, checked the Oil level and its showing very high (cold), way above the lines with 'XXXXX' between them (am guessing this is the min/max range?)

Is this a problem? why would anyone overfill the oil ? its not cheap!

I read there are some problems with earlier cars with D5 engine and defective seal - I don't know if there is leakage as not had it long enough.

Its under warranty still, so am I best going to dealer?

thanks

volvo newbie, my first ever!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 17:17   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

It's not a good idea to overfill the oil as it puts extra pressure on the oil seals. The only reasons I can think for overfilling are incompetence or the car is using a lot of oil and they want to disguise the issue by overfilling it so it doesn't run low too quickly.

Where did you buy it from and did they service it for you before you picked it up as if so I'd be straight back to them about it if it was a garage. A decent PDI should have picked up high oil levels.

If you bought it privately then I would say you'll just have to get the level corrected.

I would be very surprised if a dealer didn't charge you to drain some oil out, even though the car is under warranty it's not a warranty issue if someone has put too much oil in it. The only exception to that would be if a Volvo dealer had overfilled it, then I would expect them to rectify the mistake for free.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 19:35   #3
jposner

Thanks for the advice. Can you (or someone else tell me), the oil dipstick, it doesn't say MIN or MAX on it, there are 2 lines with XX XX in between them. Are these lines the min and max levels, or is does the XX XX signify the warning area, i.e. the oil should be ABOVE the highest line :

Here's a picture of what I see, maybe i'm just reading it wrong? :

|
|
|
\
/ (kink in the dipstick)
|
|
my oil level is here
|
|
|
|
|__

XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
___
|
|
|
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 20:29   #4
John_C
Allons-y!

AFAIK the XX range is where the oil should be, but I've never had a D5 so not 100% sure. You could download your handbook (if you don't have one) from the Volvo UK website, the details will be in there.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 21:13   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

it may be worth taking it to your dealer and explaining the situation , they will check whether it has any outstanding recalls too , one software upgrade of which may help with this problem if applicable to yours.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 21:55   #6
musicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposner View Post
Thanks for the advice. Can you (or someone else tell me), the oil dipstick, it doesn't say MIN or MAX on it, there are 2 lines with XX XX in between them. Are these lines the min and max levels, or is does the XX XX signify the warning area, i.e. the oil should be ABOVE the highest line :

Here's a picture of what I see, maybe i'm just reading it wrong? :

|
|
|
\
/ (kink in the dipstick)
|
|
my oil level is here
|
|
|
|
|__

XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
___
|
|
|
Take it to the dealer ASAP. Your oil is 1 or 2 cm above the MAX (the top X is the MAX). I have been having this problem with my XC90 D5 MY07 for 8 months (12 visists to the dealer). It is an oil-diesel dilution problem. Ask the dealer to contact Volvo Engineers in Sweeden as they have information about that problem.

For more information, read my messages (musicman) in this post: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=65168

In my case, the story has (hopefully) finished in that they're replacing the full engine (in warranty)

Last edited by musicman; Apr 25th, 2009 at 22:17.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 22:36   #7
gazbak1
06 p2 blub in under 3mins

i would not drive the car if it was me as i have see diesels over rev due to being over filled and running on oil flat out until the crank snaps!!

gazbak1
gazbak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:36   #8
jposner

Yikes sounds nasty. I will take to dealer asap.
I bought from a non-volvo dealer who frankly are useless
The car is 2.5 yrs old with 59.5k on clock so it's still under warranty (just)

One thing...if this takes a while to resolve, the car will go over 60k so will they continue to look into it assuming I reported it now ?

Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 08:03   #9
musicman

what type of warranty do you have? when does it expire?

In my case, the problem appeared when the car was 1.5 year-old (39,000 Km = 24,000 miles).
The official warranty finished in nov 08, by I reported the problem in sep 08. They didn't
fix my problem so... the warranty is still in effect.

By the way, can you check whether you have an oil-diesel mix in your engine?
Pull out the dipstick and smell it... it should smell as "diesel". Besides, you will see it is less dense than oil.

Last edited by musicman; Apr 26th, 2009 at 08:13.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 08:35   #10
jposner

hi musicman....Didn't you mean: It (the oil) should NOT smell as diesel ?

Anyway just checked mine, it does not smell of diesel (hopefully a good sign), but is indeed almost 2cm above the upper line on the dipstick. all the oil looks same colour along the dipstick too, no separation (engine is cold)

Its just been serviced by the dealer, a very large independent 4x4 dealer ... could it be that they have just overfilled, or didn't drain properly? either way i don't really trust them and they are 40 miles away

regarding the warranty, i believe all volvos come with 3yr/60k as standard. mine is just inside the 60k mileage and 2.5 yrs old, so any work should be covered. am not sure when/who the previous services were done by because the dealer who i bought it from is "looking" for the service book, but it came from a finance reposession i think, it did motorway miles and hopefully has been cared for well.

besides the volvo warranty i got the dealer to throw in one of these after market 12 month warranties from Autoprotect (the premium plus, best cover) which kicks in after the 60k has been hit.

Am hoping either way I should be covered.

thanks again