Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 850 Air Box Mod - Seriously GREAT Sound

Views : 13650

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2009, 13:23   #1
BackInBlack

Cool Volvo 850 Air Box Mod - Seriously GREAT Sound

Last week I cut 8 big holes in the bottom/side of my 850 air box with little enjoyment. When I put my foot down all I heard was a deep 'boomy' noise. That is NOT the noise I'm after. I am after that 5 cylinder growl (I'm sure you know what I'm on about).
So I got under the hood, removed the air box and cut smaller holes but more, more & more. I remember reading on the net (after cutting the large holes) that the bigger the hole the more 'boomy' the sound. Okay my mistake for the first try. But now.... Yeeehaaa.... All I hear is that fiery beast under my hood wanting to escape. (Under heaver acceleration) Insane!!!
The acceleration feels more responsive, no extra gains in higher gears but certainly in 1st, 2nd & 3rd. It feels like it really wants to move now.

This seems to be the best and safest way I could do this. As you can see in the pictures the pipe coming from the air box to the front has been removed, this is only because I cut off the snow-guard (As shown in this forum before) and fear water getting in.
So far after driving for a week in heavy rain there has been no sign of water even near the air box(good news). I have also removed the silver exhaust manifold heat pipe. I wouldn't need that silver pipe as the y shaped plastic piece housing the air box flap has been completely removed...Not needed at all.

So today I thought I would take a few pictures of my 'holy' air box and share my enjoyment with the 'world'.

Enjoy....

I take no responsibility if you decide to do this modification. I doubt you would be unhappy, but you may not be happy in the end... YOUR CALL, NOT MINE!! You have been warned. ONLY MODIFY THE AIR BOX UNDER THE AIR FILTER, NOT ABOVE... Again take your time and be careful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1f4ae0001.jpg (161.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_1rsz_f4ae0004.jpg (81.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_1rsz_f4ae0006.jpg (81.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_f4ae0002.jpg (117.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_f4ae0003.jpg (181.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_f4ae0005.jpg (179.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_f4ae0007.jpg (155.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_f4ae0009.jpg (160.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_f4ae0010.jpg (193.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_f4ae0011.jpg (116.0 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by BackInBlack; May 2nd, 2009 at 13:32.
BackInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BackInBlack For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2009, 14:21   #2
warthog
VOC Member

Hi,

glad you like the sound.

Not to p**s on your BBQ, but what you have almost certainly done is actually reduce your engine's power. Flow analysis of the airbox and ducting shows that it will flow far more air than required by the engine with minimal loss as standard. (Ref. various posts over the last few years). However, by drilling holes in the box and removing the ducting bringing air from the front of the grill the engine will now be breathing hot air from under the bonnet. Hot air = Less dense air = less Oxygen = reduced combustion efficiency. One source I found stated a 10% decrease in density with every 60deg C increase in temp. This is why turbo'd cars have intercoolers - to reduce the air charge temperature and increase the density after compressing it.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to warthog For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2009, 15:33   #3
BackInBlack

Wink I do agree with you there... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog View Post
Hi,

glad you like the sound.

Not to p**s on your BBQ, but what you have almost certainly done is actually reduce your engine's power. Flow analysis of the airbox and ducting shows that it will flow far more air than required by the engine with minimal loss as standard. (Ref. various posts over the last few years). However, by drilling holes in the box and removing the ducting bringing air from the front of the grill the engine will now be breathing hot air from under the bonnet. Hot air = Less dense air = less Oxygen = reduced combustion efficiency. One source I found stated a 10% decrease in density with every 60deg C increase in temp. This is why turbo'd cars have intercoolers - to reduce the air charge temperature and increase the density after compressing it.

Cheers

You see.... I thought that too, and totally believe the science behind it as well BUT < and that's a big BUT, I don't care.

My car is the 2.0Ltr Non-Turbo so I wouldn't be gaining anything anyway. The way I see it is, if its not a turbo you have nothing to loose (under certain circumstances). I bought the car for under £400 and it is a perfect runner. I have no problems with the car aside from the coolant slowly draining away (really slow leak from radiator fan area).

I can still attach the y piece and the front pipe to gain more air but wasn't to sure about water being sucked in.

Would you think that because there are loads of holes in the airbox, if water did get in, it would quickly drain away rather than bounce off the plastic inside the air box and get sucked up?

Don't forget this is not a performance modification. I didn't intend for it to be one. Merely a sound enhancement.

YOU CANT PUT A PRICE ON FUN!

Last edited by BackInBlack; May 2nd, 2009 at 15:38.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 15:55   #4
lanciak69
give me a 850/v70 anyday

mabey you will get it going a little faster ( less weight you got rid of all those round bits o plastic) LOL
lanciak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lanciak69 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2009, 16:43   #5
BackInBlack

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanciak69 View Post
mabey you will get it going a little faster ( less weight you got rid of all those round bits o plastic) LOL
That's the spirit...
Old May 2nd, 2009, 21:49   #6
BackInBlack

Talking Cooler Airflow

To increase cooler airflow... Why don't I add the front pipe that goes from the air box to the front grill?
I am sure this would increase cooler airflow to the 'holy' airbox.

What do you think?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 22:05   #7
SUBURBAN KID

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanciak69 View Post
Too many holes, I never thought I'd say that.

When it gets hot under there, I think you may see a real perfomance drop. I wonder would a Nova sound better with this mod?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 22:26   #8
tjts1

LOL

The quick and dirty NA 850 intake in 3 easy steps

Install an early 960 throttle plate.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p=80951#p80951

Fix the airbox thermostat.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p=82880#p82880

Get a 3.25" dia piece of flexible tubing.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/airbox.php
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p=59606#p59606

The OP would have to start with a new lower airbox. The swiss cheese thing is beyond repair.
tjts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tjts1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2009, 22:35   #9
BackInBlack

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
LOL

The quick and dirty NA 850 intake in 3 easy steps

Install an early 960 throttle plate.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p=80951#p80951

Fix the airbox thermostat.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p=82880#p82880

Get a 3.25" dia piece of flexible tubing.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/airbox.php
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p=59606#p59606

The OP would have to start with a new lower airbox. The swiss cheese thing is beyond repair.

There's always black duct tape
Old May 2nd, 2009, 23:25   #10
mario850
Vovlo lover

hi there sorry to s**t on your parade but you will def of lost power volvo spent thousends if not millions on designing this car to get the best performance/economy ratings and you go and waste all of there time by drilling loads of so**ng holes in the air box

i have a 855 2.0 N/A and i too cut the snow gaurd to allow better flow into the air box and that worked really well better throttle response and i dont suffer from water in it so its all good

to be honest i would have just got a sports panel filter banged that in and to get a better growl just fit a polly top mount and you get all the growl you will ever want
Past-> L Reg 945 2.0 HPT Wentworth.
mario850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mario850 For This Useful Post:

Tags
850, airbox, holes, induction, mod