Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Keys - The truth

Views : 49687

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2009, 14:53   #1
Jebelhasher
Jebelhasher

Default Spare Keys - The truth

Once and for all, and something to point out to sales website contributors. Can you or can you not buy a second hand volvo key, integrated key to use on a 2006 V70 and have it reprogrammed for your own car?

If not is THE only answer the Volvo dealer?
Jebelhasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 17:18   #2
BobS
Master Member

Hi,

As an Electronic Engineer I looked into this issue before buying a spare key and fob. I have the separate key and fob but believe the integrated key is electrically identical.

The fob is controlled by a single IC. The data sheet on this IC confirms that the IC is programmed with a 'seed' number to encrypt the signal transmitted to the car. This number is programmed at manufacture and can't be changed.

Even buying one of these 'inteligent' fobs that learn the code are no use as the code changes each time you use it (known as rolling code).

This number is required to decrypt the signal. The car is programmed with this number. The number cannot be read or obtained from anybody (even Volvo) other than the original paperwork that comes with a new fob.

Any dealer or independent with a computer connection to Volvo can program the car to respond to the fob providing you have the fob code number.

In addition to this each key has a transponder embedded which is read by the 'Ring Antenna' fitted around the ignition switch. The car has to recognise this identity number before allowing the engine to start.

Volvo says they are proud of this security as they control the supply of keys and fobs….

Bob

Last edited by BobS; May 7th, 2009 at 17:31.
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BobS For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2009, 14:56   #3
Jebelhasher
Jebelhasher

So, first, if there is no code wth the key then it is no use. With the code the functions will work, open close etc. Have I got this correct?

If you can get a key with a code then there is the transponder problem. Can this be overcome? Or is it back to Volvo and a new set?

I am fast coming tothe conclusion that the answer to the original question is really a no.
Jebelhasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 17:30   #4
smiliemilie v40

Question i agree

i have a volvo v40 on a '51' plate and asked volvo for a price for a new key and that cost about £100 that wasnt including the fob.

Is there no way to get round it?
smiliemilie v40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 18:14   #5
tingy
VOC Member

thats interesting reading bob cheers

i have a question supposing (and i dont know if this is possible) your car forgets your key are you then compleatly cattle trucked with no option but to get stung for a new fob from volvo
Old May 10th, 2009, 18:50   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebelhasher View Post
Once and for all, and something to point out to sales website contributors. Can you or can you not buy a second hand volvo key, integrated key to use on a 2006 V70 and have it reprogrammed for your own car?

If not is THE only answer the Volvo dealer?

The only answer is the volvo dealer , thats why volvo security is one of the highest , no tom dick or harry has any access to keys or remote programming . Any programming that IS done by an authorised dealer even if they are a tom dick or harry is stored at volvo HQ in sweden , records are kept of when and who does key and remote programming and to which car in which dealer .
You wouldnt be too happy that after having your keys programmed somewhere , a few days or weeks later your car goes missing ...
Old May 10th, 2009, 18:58   #7
zimma

I bought a fob from ebay which came with the required barcodes. (please note that volvo cannot program the old 8 digit pin codes. I believe these were programmed using VADIS which volvo dont have anymore. The new 16 digit pin codes do work currently so if you do get a fob, make sure it has a 16 digit pin with it). Without a 16 digit pin code, it as useful as a chocolate fireguard. This cost about 30 quid from ebay.

The dealer then programmed the pin code into the car which made the fob work as it should. This cost 60 quid for the dealer program.

I'm not sure what impact having the combined key/fob would have. Would imagine the software cost would be a little higher for the dealer bit as they have to program both the key and fob part which means two pieces of software instead of 1 just for the fob. There is also the cost of getting the blade for the key which will be dealer only.

Summary, you may be able to get it a bit cheaper by sourcing the shell of the combined key/alarm fob from ebay, but you run the risk of that part of it not working when you take it to the dealer to program, and as you didnt get it from them.........

I think through the dealer you are probably looking at about 300 quid to get a key and alarm fob new, and both programmed into the car. Volvo quoted me 150 quid just to buy and program the alarm fob part, exluding any keys.
Old May 10th, 2009, 21:33   #8
searider

I had to get the dealer I bought my car from to obtain a second key - one of the originals had been lost.

Priced it up with my local Volvo dealer at £215 inc VAT including programming.
searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 14:21   #9
ben boluski
Ben Boluski

Hi there you do not need to go to the dealers for spare keys as i can do these non remote ones programmed to start your engine.

Regards Ben.
ben boluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 17:55   #10
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben boluski View Post
Hi there you do not need to go to the dealers for spare keys as i can do these non remote ones programmed to start your engine.

Regards Ben.
You can do a phase 2 key and code it to car?