Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cheap HID kit

Views : 8951

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 03:36   #1
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Default cheap HID kit

So I took the risk, and bought a cheap one from ebay - best use of £50 in a long time.

No flickering in DRL position, build quality of the kit seems very good. Excellent light output.

Given that I spent £30 on Philips Extreme Power bulbs, I'd say you're better off putting the money towards a HID kit.

If you want the absolute best/brightest light out put, select one with a colour temp of 4300K.

I went for 6000K for the slight blue effect and even those are brilliant, but maybe I would have preferred 4300k for maxium light on the road.

Installation is easy, and with the benefit that the S40 lights slide straight out, you can install them in the warmth of the house and actually see what you're doing.

S40 fits the bill for HID's, there isnt any "glare" that you get from a HID kit installed in a corsa etc. My car just looks like it came with HIDs from the factory, obviously bar the headlamp washers.

The standard S40 headlights are rubbish. HID kit has made them really good now.

Philips Extreme Power 80% plus bulbs ARE still VERY good though, if you dont fancy a HID kit. I've had two sets of the phillips bulbs on two different cars and the light output has been very good on both.

Last edited by fenton_jd; Oct 3rd, 2009 at 03:38.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 18:54   #2
s40_kid

have you got a link to the HID product fenton? Ive been thinking of upgrading for a while but have been using philips exteme bulbs in the interim
s40_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 19:37   #3
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by s40_kid View Post
have you got a link to the HID product fenton? Ive been thinking of upgrading for a while but have been using philips exteme bulbs in the interim
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...EOIBSA:GB:1123

This is the one I used.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:18   #4
s40_kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
Thanks for the link Fenton. Is it an easy job to do? They state plug and play which is what I want but somebody else'e P&P may not be the same as mine
s40_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 15:56   #5
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

They are plug and play. The only "work" involved is drilling a hole in both back covers of the headlamp unit:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 18:06   #6
alfiembra

I need to get something like this for the winter, but always thought you couldn't fit them unless you had headlight washers, or is that just an urban myth.

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 23:38   #7
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

The principle of having to have "autoleveling" and headlamp washers is imho very pointless.

the only visibile difference between my HID's and my Extreme Plus bulbs is the colour and the HID's being a bit brighter.

The beam pattern is identical, so logically wouldnt I need headlamp washers and autolevellers on the normal projectors anyway?
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:01   #8
Welton
Premier Member

Factory fitted HID's have to have the self levelling and the washer jets to stop glare to other people. Fitting HID's in normal 'reflector' lenses is a bad idea and I've been dazzled by plenty of these. The S40 has projector lenses which are used with HID's anyway.

Fenton, I'm shocked at the price for that kit and may buy one myself now. They say the balasts are digital - does that mean they won't flag a fault being digital?

The left hand balast looks a bit awkward there, was there no other room anywhere?

Really interested in these now
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:47   #9
FaKaWi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
The left hand balast looks a bit awkward there, was there no other room anywhere?

Really interested in these now
Not sure if you can do the same on the S40, but I placed the ballasts on my C70 inside the bumper, there was a nice handy hole when I removed my headlamps giving access to this void. I even went one step further and drilled the cable holes in the underside of the headlamp casing so the cables come up from underneath and there is no wiring etc in the engine bay, much neater job.
FaKaWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 17:13   #10
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
So I took the risk, and bought a cheap one from ebay - best use of £50 in a long time.
they look great.

Quote:
Philips Extreme Power 80% plus bulbs ARE still VERY good though, if you dont fancy a HID kit. I've had two sets of the phillips bulbs on two different cars and the light output has been very good on both.
must admit when I bought this S40 back in Jan, my first Volvo, I realised the headlamps were pizz poor. So spent £25 on the Phillips Extreme, doing the job fine. But it they don't last long I may opt for a HID kit.