Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake System Upgrade

Views : 85319

Replies : 321

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2009, 23:46   #1
dheming

Default Brake System Upgrade

This will be an ongoing thread detailing the complete overhaul of the brake system in my '67 Estate. Currently my brakes are horrible and since it's my daily driver I should have done this back when I bought it March. Oh well, there's no time like the present. Here's what I have planned:

Dual circuit master cylinder
New stainless hardline throughout
Braided stainless lines up front
Adjustable bias valve
Front calipers rebuilt
Disc brake rearend from an 1800
Brake light switch converted from hydraulic to pedal-mount type
Build a custom LED conversion for the rear brake lights

I have yet to order any of the major stuff since I'm still narrowing it down to a few options/brands. The 1800 rear might be difficult to find but I'm hopeful somebody we be able to ship me one if I can't get one within driving distance. This will be a pretty big project but I'm excited nonetheless.

Step one was fixing all the play in my brake and clutch lever arms. I'm not sure why but so many car manufacturers don't seem to comprehend the concept of load bearing area. I've seen elongated pivot holes on every car I've ever worked on. Why is this? Is it merely for cost savings in materials or is it to keep you coming back for replacement parts? Even worse I see a lot of things pivoting on the threaded part of a bolt, which is just plain stupid. Here are two pics to show the elongated pivot holes I'm talking about. You can see that the clevis pins have both been machined down by the massive force concentrated by the knife edges:

I always use bolts with a shoulder that's long enough to completely support the pivoting pieces. Sometimes I have to use extra washers to make this possible but so be it. Ideally I like to also increase the load bearing area as much as is practical. For my pedal arms I hand filed then drilled out the pivot holes to 3/8"(9.5mm) and then welded in a short section of stainless steel tube with an ID of 5/16"(7.9mm). This increases the load bearing area to the full width of the pedal arm instead of just at the thin edges of the arm tube itself. Here's a pic of the SS tube being tacked in:

The clevises for the brake and clutch master cylinder rods also got the treatment. I hand filed the oblong holes round again then drilled them out to 15/32"(11.9mm). I then machined some 5/8"(15.9mm) steel rod to have a 15/32"(11.9mm) lip to fit the clevises as well as a 5/16"(7.9mm) bore for the pivot bolt. Each side is about 3/8"(9.5mm) deep so the load bearing area is about 3/4"(19.05mm) per clevis now instead of 1/4"(6.4mm) each.

Here's the group shot of the finished modified parts:

And here's everything re-installed on my car. You can see that I had to significantly turn down the head of the SS pivot bolt on the brake arm for firewall clearance:

There is very little play in the clutch and brake arms now, but some play remains due to the worn out rod couplers on the master cylinders. Once they are both replaced the whole system should be nice and tight, even decades from now hopefully. It's the little things like this that make a vehicle much more pleasant to daily drive IMO, but can take an entire day to do right.

Peace,
Derek.
dheming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dheming For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:46   #2
Dylan144GT

Derek

This is fantastic, well done man! I can really appreciate this. Very impressed!

Phil Singer on The Brick Board built the La Carrera Pan America Apple Farmer Racing 122 and swopped in an 1800 rear end. You should get hold of him if you need any info to make life and R&D simpler.

Dylan
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan144GT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:05   #3
asneddon
Master Member

Good job! I like to see a car done right.
About the stainless braided hoses though, can you now buy DOT approved ones? They use to be illegal on road cars a few years ago, but I haven't kept up. Something to do with not being able to inspect the hose rubber itself come MOT time.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 20:37   #4
dheming

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Dylan,

Thanks for the heads up on the 1800 rear end car. I'll get in contact and see where it leads me.

asneddon,

DOT-approved braided SS brake lines are indeed available for the 122, at least I know that IPD sells them. I'm still debating if I want to deal with replacing them often though. I might just stick with OEM lines for their longer life. Here's a wiki on brake lines with a good amount of info.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 19:11   #5
jimbo1593
Master Member

Proper job!

Were you not etmpted to put bearing races in instead. ;-)
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 19:28   #6
Trommel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheming View Post
Step one was fixing all the play in my brake and clutch lever arms.
You'd have a fright if you saw the brake pedal linkage on a RHD P1800 ...
Trommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 22:50   #7
dheming

jimbo1593,

I considered that, but I wanted to keep things simple this early on since I'll be fabricating an entirely new pedal assembly. When that time comes though I do want to have bushings on everything that pivots. I'll machine them from either oil-impregnated sintered bronze or Delrin plastic.

Trommel,

Sounds bad, care to post a pic?

I found an excellent 9 page tech article explaining all the things to consider when doing custom braking system design. After reading it I'm convinced that a fully manual dual master cylinder/balance bar setup is the way to go for my wagon. I've been wanting to try this kind of setup for years and now is the perfect chance to do so. I'll probably use this pedal assembly from Wilwood Engineering to make it easier. To line up properly I'd have to fabricate longer, 14" pedal arms for it though.

Last edited by dheming; Nov 16th, 2009 at 23:16.
The Following User Says Thank You to dheming For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 00:49   #8
Trommel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheming View Post
Sounds bad, care to post a pic?
Good link.

This is the best picture of a RHD car I could find:

Trommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:47   #9
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trommel View Post
This is the best picture of a RHD car I could find:
Wow, yeah with 6 pivots points that could get real bad over time.

So according to my dated Haynes repair manual the stock front calipers in my '67 single circuit Amazon are 3 piston type with 2x 1.5" and 1x 2.125 pistons each. Also the '70 to '73 1800 disc brake rear end I'll be using has 2 piston calipers with 2x 1.422" pistons each. I won't know if these numbers are accurate until my caliper rebuild kits arrive, but I emailed Wilwood Engineering and with the above caliper piston specifications they recommended a 7/8" bore for the front master cylinder and 1" for the rear when using a 6.25:1 or 6:1 pedal ratio. This should hopefully allow enough bias adjustment using just the balance bar that I won't need a separate adjustable bias valve. Also the stock clutch and brake pedal arm spacing is about 4.75"(120.7mm) and the Wilwood triple master cylinder pedal assembly is around 3.93"(99.8mm) spacing so it should fit nicely between the steering column.

Last edited by dheming; Nov 17th, 2009 at 06:14.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 09:11   #10
Oilline

How will you mount the Wilwood pedal assembly? Will the master cylinders end up in the engine bay or in the car? I'm curious as i need to do the same thing as i have converted my Wagon to P1800ES disc rear end and big Brembo calipers on the front.
Oilline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilline For This Useful Post:

Tags
4-link, big brakes, coilovers, spherical joints, wilwood brakes