Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hid Kit just arrived for my v70 (2010)

Views : 1989

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 19:55   #1
asadq

Default Hid Kit just arrived for my v70 (2010)

After having xenons on the last 5 cars, the v70 didnt come with any.... What a downfall that is..

I ordered a hid kit on monday which arrived today...

Pics and write up to follow
asadq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 12:38   #2
tayandre

Be careful, you won't fail an MOT but you are not road legal. Aftermarket HIDs invalidate the type approval and you could be asked by the police to remove them. You can add headlamp washers and self-levelling (at great expense) but aftermarket HIDs are not road legal, only factory fitted ones are approved.

I'm sure there'll be an ensuing legal vs illegal debate. Google for the statement on them from the Dept of Transport confirming this. However, I reckone the chances of you getting asked by the police to remove them as negligable.

There's also the concern about the effect on the warranty which would worry me more.
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 18:56   #3
gtr1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Be careful, you won't fail an MOT but you are not road legal. Aftermarket HIDs invalidate the type approval and you could be asked by the police to remove them. You can add headlamp washers and self-levelling (at great expense) but aftermarket HIDs are not road legal, only factory fitted ones are approved.

I'm sure there'll be an ensuing legal vs illegal debate. Google for the statement on them from the Dept of Transport confirming this. However, I reckone the chances of you getting asked by the police to remove them as negligable.

There's also the concern about the effect on the warranty which would worry me more.
Good points raised here, especially the one about warranty. As my V70 is on Motability (basically a leased car I guess) and not "my" motor as such, I'm reluctant to add a HIDS conversion although I'd love to.

In the meantime, I've been spending a few £s on brighter/whiter bulbs to replace the candles that came from the factory. Have tried Osram Nightbreakers, Phillips Blue Vision and one or two others, but have finally ended up with these Mtec 55w bulbs http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-xe...lbs-p-393.html. Very white and much better to drive at night with than anything else I've tried. Could post some pics if anyone's interested.
gtr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 22:19   #4
Tony g6hbq
VOC Member

Took a Ford Cougar for 2 MOT's with HID kit attached.......................................... .........no problems at all !!

If you retro fit a kit correctly and carefully you can return to std no problem.
Cover over the holes drilled fot the grommetts with black tape.

Who on earth is going to look when doing either a trade in or return of a car off lease..

2hrs mine remained with the std lights after delivery.
Traded the previous one in with tape covering the holes, same with a Chrysler Crossfire, never heard anything.
Tony g6hbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 23:55   #5
longroad2nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post
Have tried Osram Nightbreakers, Phillips Blue Vision and one or two others, but have finally ended up with these Mtec 55w bulbs http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-xe...lbs-p-393.html. Very white and much better to drive at night with than anything else I've tried. Could post some pics if anyone's interested.
Yes Please post the pics, I have just order ring xenon 55w + 100%...should be interesting. On another note, I thought you either had to have a high pressure headlight washing system or self leveling suspension, not both, where HIDs are concerned??

Rob

We're all stupid; its the degree's that separate us
longroad2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:08   #6
gtr1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by longroad2nowhere View Post
Yes Please post the pics, I have just order ring xenon 55w + 100%...should be interesting. On another note, I thought you either had to have a high pressure headlight washing system or self leveling suspension, not both, where HIDs are concerned??

Rob
Need to get camera linked to computer today so will post pics on Sunday hopefully.

I'll let someone else discuss the pros and cons of washers and levellers with HIDS kits as this subject has been thrashed out on here before many times.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtr1000 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 08:26   #7
asadq

ive never had a hid kit fail a mot to date.

If they are fitted correctly and aligned properly then they do no harm.

I've been fitting hid kits for years

as the v70 doesn't have projectors ill be using a special kit for it.

The bulbs have a small blackout sticker on the top of the bulb to stop 'glare'.

Samples of previous work available on request
asadq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 15:08   #8
tayandre

Very true, you won't fail an MOT with aftermarket HIDs. However, they are not street legal...below from DOT. And yes you should have both self levelling AND headlamp wash.

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps
December 2006
In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR
The Following User Says Thank You to tayandre For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 15:19   #9
gtr1000

So DOT might as well ban HIDS on the grounds that most of us won't be able to fit self levellers and headlamp washers as per point #2?
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 09:24   #10
tayandre

They are banned! "is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits".

It's only a matter of time until these badly fitted illegal lights are a factor in a fatal crash. When it does it will get some attention from the police and gov't.

Auto levelling and headlamp wash are there for a reason. Due to the intense beam they need to be correctly levelled at all times and the lenses should be cleaned as dirt disperses the beam. Both are there to prevent blinding oncoming vehicles.