Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Arm low cost repair!

Views : 167371

Replies : 183

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2014, 11:20   #71
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile arm drops off

On mine one of the four retainers in the socket had broken off, (a pic attached). The reason the link gets a bashing is when it self calibrates, driving the arm fully each way. You might want to consider fitting the volvo 'nail' kit and a rubber stop as mentioned on some older posts, it worked for me, no more swirl arm problems for 30K+ miles)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirl_arm_socket.JPG (107.7 KB, 871 views)
File Type: jpg bump0011.JPG (148.5 KB, 805 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 21:48   #72
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Would a problem with this swirl arm make fuel consumption very inconsistent??
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 11:17   #73
cbrown1360

Presumably will depend on rest position of swirl valves. As in previous comments could someone please confirm open / closed postion of valves on 2007 185PS D5 i.e. arm towards engine or towards motor?
cbrown1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 14:21   #74
Newtovolvoxc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
On mine one of the four retainers in the socket had broken off, (a pic attached). The reason the link gets a bashing is when it self calibrates, driving the arm fully each way. You might want to consider fitting the volvo 'nail' kit and a rubber stop as mentioned on some older posts, it worked for me, no more swirl arm problems for 30K+ miles)
Same here, bit diddly, and with BG fingers was a nightmare to fit.
Had to buy a second "nail" as lost one in the engine bay somewhere, but managed to fit it, and the message disappeared
Newtovolvoxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 10:08   #75
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile fiddly one to fit

Yes its definitely a fiddly one to fit, making the hole also needs to be done with care, glad it fixed your problem at least you can see what goes on with it, fitting the rubber stop is a good option to avoid more bashing of the repaired linkage as replacing the whole swirl flap setup is an expensive repair..
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 10:14   #76
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown1360 View Post
Presumably will depend on rest position of swirl valves. As in previous comments could someone please confirm open / closed postion of valves on 2007 185PS D5 i.e. arm towards engine or towards motor?
I can't even find mine to have a look!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 12:01   #77
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Position of arm ?

I think the throttles are closed during engine shutdown/low revs (found an old pic I took when trying to fix the arm with a rubber band approach !) attached.

Also attached a pdf showing the throttles (the bit you cant see inside the engine), to give an idea of what they do..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swirl_arm_D5_eng_off.JPG (299.3 KB, 625 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf swirl_Pages.pdf (103.1 KB, 116 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 23:20   #78
Jetmech

The throttles are closed during low engine demand, but open when the engine is shut off or starting.
This is how I have our D5's tethered permanently open. It has been like this for 3 years with no issues. There are no alerts, but a code is generated for the actuator being out of limits.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jetmech For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 22:44   #79
sibrown

Default new solution

have been getting codes and discovered the arm on my 06 d5 keeps popping off at the engine side.
So figured that either the ball on the arm is worn or the receiving socket is worn/ now too big . Removed arm and dripped super glue over the ball socket on the arm . Next I took a latex glove and wrapped the ball in latex then trimmed with a blade.
I have therefore coated the ball on the arm in a layer of latex in order to make it thicker and grip the receiving socket. So far so good.
sibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sibrown For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 09:03   #80
VVTi

Depending on the age, the later style link arms can be turned around so they stay on. You'll need a pair of decent pliers (ideally pump pliers so the grip is parallel) to force it on.

When mine went this is what I ended up doing and had no more issues. Is seems the ball joint gets warn and the little recess on the arm is not thick enough to hold it on, but if you reverse it with the larger collar holds it nicely and the reverse angle of the arm doesn't seem to affect operation - it probably puts more stress on the arm as the angle is now slightly different but at £3 a pop its worth ago - not that mine ever went again (10k miles).
XC90 D5 185 SE manual
VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VVTi For This Useful Post: