Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel DPF recall

Views : 80747

Replies : 450

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2011, 16:47   #401
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
No, but that's because I assumed that a recall would apply to all models and the XC90 isn't affected, which is all I looked for. Also I'm not sure why but the date on the VOSA web site for the recall on the affected models is recent (last 4 weeks) and I can't find recall notice as early as the date of your forum post. Don't Volvo date their letters?
Then, with respect, Roy, you should not make sweeping statements like this then.

"There has never been a Volvo safety recall over rising oil levels in the UK."

A humbler "as far as I know" preceeding would be a bit more helpful to other Forum users. An assumtion makes an ass/u/me.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 17:16   #402
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick44 View Post
Then, with respect, Roy, you should not make sweeping statements like this then.

"There has never been a Volvo safety recall over rising oil levels in the UK."

A humbler "as far as I know" preceeding would be a bit more helpful to other Forum users. An assumtion makes an ass/u/me.
Sorry for not being up to date, I wrongly assumed that the statement was still related to the situation in Hungary and Spain, which was being misquoted as applying to the UK, which used to be the case.

I haven't seen any reports of Volvo's self fueling though, so is the software update working? There aren't issues being posted about the XC90 oil level rising so I might be out of date with that as well as I don't read the other forums as much.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 17:38   #403
Nick44

No Worries,
The problem seems to have been sorted by the software patch in most cases.
A couple of other owners I am in contact with off-Forum have had different results. One sold the diesel and went back to petrol, the other is still having minor issues. Mine has been fine since, and certainly the chat on the subject here has reduced considerably.

I am slightly more interested now in the whole bio-diesel issue.
Until this happened I was not aware at all that there was a compulsory bio element in pump diesel, and that the last Government mandated 7%.

May be a big of a large subject for here but it seems to me that with probably millions of people in need of food around the world, we are using fields to grow fuel instead of food.

Your note:-
" The statements from the EU reply seem to contradict each other. One seems to say it's illegal for the Government to set a FAME content and the other that it's OK to allow. Does that mean that they can't set the amount of FAME but they don't have to stop it if suppliers choose to include it in fuel.

The suppliers are saying that the Government is imposing the 7% FAME content so that would seem to mean that the Government is behaving illegaly."

are interesting and well observed.
I have had sight of the ducument signed by the then transport minister.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 19:14   #404
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Yes, the food for fuel issue is one of my concerns about biofuels. Also there are a growing number of cars of all makes suffering fuel filter blockages related to organic growth in the cars fuel tanks.

I'd like the general public to have be able to choose to buy bio free fuel personally. If the oil industry was free to market fuels with and without bio, market economics would prevail and it could be possible to make an informed choice about the type of fuel you wanted to use in your car.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 23:40   #405
Jetmech

Has the software change actually cured or helped to reduce the rising oil level issue?
My car has not had the upgrade & so far the oil level has remained unchanged for the 6000 miles that we have done in it. I am not sure if that is good or bad, my previous diesel car (Peugeot 806) would have required a top up at about this mileage.
If I felt that this software change was beneficial I wouldn't mind paying to have it done, but there isn't much positive evidence out there. The car has done 81000 miles.
Any thoughts?
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 01:41   #406
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmech View Post
Has the software change actually cured or helped to reduce the rising oil level issue?
My car has not had the upgrade & so far the oil level has remained unchanged for the 6000 miles that we have done in it. I am not sure if that is good or bad, my previous diesel car (Peugeot 806) would have required a top up at about this mileage.
If I felt that this software change was beneficial I wouldn't mind paying to have it done, but there isn't much positive evidence out there. The car has done 81000 miles.
Any thoughts?
Have you checked that the recall was for your model?

By no means are all D5's affected. As far as the forum goes no XC90 D5's in the UK at least have had the issue as far as I can see. I think it's a precaution to insure that people who never check their oil levels between services don't end up with an overfilled sump I think. If you don't have a rising oil level I wouldn't worry about it.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 20:31   #407
dpfcampaign

Default Mazda 6 run-away

Hey Guys, Long time since i've posted on here!

Just to give you an update.

I think my last post was when i was waiting to have an inspection carried out on the car. I've had that inspection and it's one that Mazda was not expecting.

Basically, the report states firstly the car is not fit for its purpose and should have never been sold to me, so its been mis-sold by the dealer. The second point is one that he has made very clear, he is putting the blame on a faulty ECU for the main reason being when he started the car (he was amazed that it started first time, i did charge the battery full bear in mind but it turned with no problem) and left it to warm up for about 20 minutes, there was no warning lights on at all just like when the run-away occured.

He took the handbook and following onto his research, and the point i forgot to tell him is that the car has an oil dilution monitoring system, being if there is too much diesel inside the sump a warning light would appear....that to the side, he mentioned if what Mazda are saying is true, that i failed to regenerate the DPF when it asked me too & that's what's caused the sump to fill with diesel then why is there no DPF warning light on now and no fault codes logged?

Typically that means in theory, i could charge the battery up & sell the car on - the next person would be none the wiser that the DPF is full of soot and the sump is full of diesel meaning a run-away will happen again.

There are a lot of other points that were mentioned but i can't go into them just yet, i certainly will do if i win in court.

I should have questioned the Mazda's engineers at the time this first happened because they should have at least tested the ECU?? Do you guys know universally, if an ECU fails is there anything that monitors it that will bring up a warning light to warn people?

Oh, just to add - where this inspection was a joint one between myself and mazda, they are still refusing the points layed out by the expert....even though they accepted him being "we have used him before and are very happy with his level of qualifications and expertise"....Amazes me, it really does how they are still arguing.

I am pushing VOSA to do something about this and won't stop until i do....Watchdog are aware and have all my documents aswell as Dominic Littlewood....Whether they a little help or a huge help - got to try still.

I am still very frustrated why no governing agencies are taking this on board....the DPF design is a wrong one and should be fixed at all costs. Honestly, i am worried when a few years down the line the average used car's year will be 05+ diesels.....Imagine the confusion when run-aways happen and oil's rise. I am guessing we may just be the current minority.

Hope all is well for everyone!!

Last edited by dpfcampaign; May 3rd, 2011 at 20:34.
dpfcampaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 19:48   #408
Bottleofred

Hi folks,

I'm a bit confused and just about to purchase a 2008 S60 D5 185bhp. Is there a potential DPF problem or is the usual heavy right foot enough to clear the filter?

Colin
Bottleofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 21:00   #409
Nick44

Hi Bottlofred,
Just make sure the recall, which mods the engine management software has been done.
You Volvo dealer will be able to confirm.
The presence of an updated dip stick level sticker is a good indication that it has.
An Italian tune up will not fix if you have the problem with the sump oil rising.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 15:45   #410
Fibre
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick44 View Post
Hi Bottlofred,
Just make sure the recall, which mods the engine management software has been done.
You Volvo dealer will be able to confirm.
The presence of an updated dip stick level sticker is a good indication that it has.An Italian tune up will not fix if you have the problem with the sump oil rising.
I have the 2006 S60 D5 -- and supposedly have had the "modification" done by Bells of Northampton.. However I have never seen this sticker - and I made a label for my self saying not to fill to the top mark so as not to "over fill"
Where do you get the updated dip stick level sticker from...

Maurice