Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm siren changing the rechargeable batteries

Views : 9740

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2010, 16:09   #1
wemxm10

Default Alarm siren changing the rechargeable batteries

Hi,

I have a C70 and all was well for ages; but recently the car alarm started to go off randomly, (normally in the middle of the night), for no apparent reason. Lately the problem has got so bad that we left the car unlocked.

I have read on the forum that this is quite common, and it can be caused by the rechargeable batteries within the siren.

Today i have removed the siren, part no: 8614974, and upon opening the unit have found the 4.8v 600mAh Ni-Cd battery, (4 x AA in sealed plastic).

My question is, where can i purchase a replacement?

I have searched the forum but cannot find this topic so appologise if it's already been covered.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark
wemxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 16:24   #2
andycallaghan
VOC Member

Covered loads of times.
I asked the same question, as I had the same problem.
But mine has been ok since the weather hasn't been so cold.
I think you need to buy the whole siren module for around £80 from Volvo.
andycallaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 16:41   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

You could probably use these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4486
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:12   #4
silverback02
Premier Member

I had the same prob on my 1999 S80 2.4.
Alarm going off at all times (usualy between 1am and 5am,,,,DOH)
On checking all systems I was told siren batt fault, but as its a sealed unit had to change siren.

So, got one from breakers,

Unfortunatly no change. Alarm was still going off in early hours of morning...
Spent days trying to find probs, ready to give in, like you leaving car unlocked for days.

Eventualy I found the fault, after not washing car for a week or two.

CAT FOOTPRINTS ON THE BONNET. The cat from next door was jumping off the fence onto my car and setting the alarm going.

Wife wouldn't let me shoot the cat,,, So now have to park further away from fence, but at least we get some kip.
Hope you sort yours before spending too much or loseing too much kip.
joe.
RTI CD. SC901 Prem sound sys. Strut Brace
silverback02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 17:59   #5
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Fox prints on mine.Still need to replace the batteries in my alarm,not a piority though its not running.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:43   #6
tagbartok

Hi wemex10.
Have you sorted your problem out because I had the same problem two years ago and replaced the battery module.

See this link: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=56866

Having said that if I have to replace the batteries again I will probably get a custom made job because £45 for two nicad batteries and a small connector block is extortionate even with the excellent discount from Rufe at FRF Volvo Swansea.
I hope this helps.

Cheers
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 11:23   #7
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Doing mine at the moment,hardest job is removing the alarm sounder from the inner and outer wing space.You first need to remove the pop rivets on the front of the wing liner(offside front) and the two nuts that also hold it in, there is no need to remove it i just folded it back and tucked it behind the wheel disc.You will find the sounder tucked up in the wing behind the front indicator,its held on with two 10mm bolts.i then removed it from its loom by pulling the plug off its socket.Once it was out i let the liner return to its normal resting place,just in case the plastic developed a kink.

On taking the sounder off its bracket and taking of the front cover i found the battery had been leaking and needed to be renewed.I needed to clean the printed circuit inside with switch cleaner,i then checked the affected area with a multimeter (for continuity) to make shure all the circuits where ok.I have ordered 4 700Ma AA Nicad tagged rechargable batterys as replacements (£12) they will need to be soldered together,just copy the way they are arranged when you take them apart (dont do this till you get the new batterys and are ready to solder them together).When i have soldered them together i intend to use hot glue gun tacks to hold them in place in the sounders battery box.Dont see any problems in replacing it, FLW LOL. watch this space.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 19:36   #8
VolvoSanders

Thanks Toplight,
I had exactly the same problem. My alarm has been going off a random times, usually in the morning hours (not sure if it had anything to do with the sunlight) but didn't know how where to find the siren. Followed your instructions and it was easy to remove, a bit fiddly, but once I could see it I removed it and brought the unit into the house.

Having opened up the siren module, the battery has leaked onto the board, but easily cleaned up with a cloth.

Initially I bought a 7.2V battery I found on Amazon for the 9452709 siren module, only to find the C70 siren module (8614974) has a different battery, doh. But they did have the correct 4.8V available on ebay. They swapped it over free of charge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151648735361

Its not a genuine one, but better than spending £45 +VAT on the dealerships battery.

Anyway, all sorted now. Searching through threads made me start thinking about getting a louder siren. Did anyone manage to find a good replacement?
VolvoSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoSanders For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 20:29   #9
Orca2
I've Been Banned

My C70 had a spell of doing this too. Disarming the internal sensors when locking it stops the alarm going off randomly, but still allows you to set the main alarm and lock the doors.
On mine you hold the door lock button on the drivers door , it locks then unlocks the doors a few seconds later. Then get out and lock it as usual using the fob.
Doors ,boot and bonnet ,are alarmed as usual. It is a setting for ferries it is on all volvos.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:31   #10
bigjagjim

Default Alarm siren battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemxm10 View Post
Hi,

I have a C70 and all was well for ages; but recently the car alarm started to go off randomly, (normally in the middle of the night), for no apparent reason. Lately the problem has got so bad that we left the car unlocked.

I have read on the forum that this is quite common, and it can be caused by the rechargeable batteries within the siren.

Today i have removed the siren, part no: 8614974, and upon opening the unit have found the 4.8v 600mAh Ni-Cd battery, (4 x AA in sealed plastic).

My question is, where can i purchase a replacement?

I have searched the forum but cannot find this topic so appologise if it's already been covered.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark
These are AA type battery?
bigjagjim is offline   Reply With Quote