PDA

View Full Version : 120 Charge light

JOHN 850
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:34
The charge light glows very slightly when the fan is on the slow setting & when put on the fast setting it goes even slower & the charge light comes on - any ideas ?

Cheers,

John.

TomTom
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:00
You definitely have a charging problem. Please check the various articles on brickboard.com or swedishclassics.com (search under 'charging', 'glowing', 'amp light'). Sounds like the higher speed setting is asking for more power than can be given. You can get a good result from just cleaning the fuse ends and connections, but you may have a more serious problem with the regulator or dynamo. Good luck.

Tony Barrett
Jan 14th, 2003, 19:24
The first click on the switch is for full speed of the fan and the second click is for half speed (totally opposite of the other switches). On Amazons , the charge light always glows when the fan is switched on (you only have a problem if it glows when you turn the headlights on without the fan). Call me for more info Tony Barrett 0208 741-7500/3300

Mike Arnold
Jan 24th, 2003, 21:45
Tony is right. The dim glow is caused by a small resistance in the old wiring/fuses. It occurs when there is a significant load on certain parts of the electrics (even if the dynamo/alternator can cope). Because of the design of the wiring the fan has the biggest effect.

You can fix it by replacing all the crimp spade connectors in the engine bay and the fuse box and... and...

If you want a full technical explanation please email me or look in one of Jack Cluer's old technical bulletins.

miller1966
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:14
Just found your post dated from a while back, and joined the forum...
I recently had my mechanic install a new alternator on my 1966 122S. And now the charge light glows brightly all the time. Is this normal?
My mechanic said not to worry about it, but it never lit up before - even with the previous alternator.
The mechanic replaced the alternator as he said the voltage from the old alt. was overcharging the battery - and the battery died... And now the new battery and alt. happily share the same amount of voltage.
But, someone else told me that the charge light glowing means that the voltage between the battey and alt. (or generator in the original config.)are not equal...
I'm confused.
Any answers?
Thanks.
D.

biggbn
Sep 15th, 2005, 13:18
my amazon charge light 'glows' at night with lights, wipers etc..on, but never at tickover. it never stops working, and always starts...go figure?

Mike Arnold
Sep 17th, 2005, 12:07
The charge light should not be on.

Either the new alternator has a fault or else the mechanic has wired up the light incorrectly.

I converted from dynamo to alternator (and changed all the corroded spade connectors) and the light never glows unless revs drop below 500. Suggest you go back to the mechanic and ask him to sort it (at no cost).

If you cannot go back to him then you will need a voltmeter (or light bulb at a pinch), some patience and to extend this thread (or email me).

miller1966
Sep 20th, 2005, 05:14
>The charge light should not be on.
>
>Either the new alternator has a fault or else the mechanic has
>wired up the light incorrectly.
>
>I converted from dynamo to alternator (and changed all the
>corroded spade connectors) and the light never glows unless
>revs drop below 500. Suggest you go back to the mechanic and
>ask him to sort it (at no cost).
>
>If you cannot go back to him then you will need a voltmeter
>(or light bulb at a pinch), some patience and to extend this
>thread (or email me).

Thanks!
Yes, just today the alternator started making squealing noises and I drove straight to the mechanic who quickly determined the new alternator was bad. He will be replacing it tomorrow. The alt. is warrantied, the labor... we'll see.